CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

9 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I feel pretty sure that Vitoria will be starting ahead of Cornelius in this one-leg, win-and-you're-in playoff but I think Davies will be in a LB/LWB spot due to the possible absences of Adekugbe and Laryea, so perhaps Millar is played in front of him.  Or do they go back to a 3-4-3 from the World Cup? 

Just don't shit the bed here, guys.

I changed my mind to agree with this. 4-4-2 

Millar lw, davies lb, vitoria rcb

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It could be a 4-4-2, put Tajon as LB and Johnston as RB with Cornelius and Vitoria in the middle; Davies as left mid with Steph and Kone, Piette behind them to anchor as they go forward. Larin and David up top. For me, you can't go berserk sending guys forward up both wings, you pick one and the other is more defensive. But still, the LB is the missing piece if Sam is out.

I doubt this happens. It's to 4d chess imo for biello. The balance to have a lw but no rw is highly unlikely. kone is the obvious choice to play rw out of him staq and piette and theres no way we push him out of position. 

I also dont see us using davies and tajon doing a bit of a positional swap. If davies doesnt go leftback, I think we see ali with a small chance (15%) of bombito/cornelius there as well. 

3 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

For those people that still say IF we beat T&T (not TNT) what if it was our Nat. hockey team playing a team with the same ranking as T&T in hockey if they would be more confidant?

Unfortunately we are not the #1 ranked team soccer team in the world, which throws the comparison off a bit.   

Just now, MtlMario said:

Just to clarify, what I meant was if our ranking were the same in both sports.

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Unfortunately we are not the #1 ranked team soccer team in the world, which throws the comparison off a bit.   

Just now, MtlMario said:

Team Canada is arguably the most stacked national team in any team sport and I think realistically, the difference between Canada (throw in the US here too, sure) and say, the 10th ranked team in the world is much wider than the gap between France and Canada, or whoever we consider the best national team in the world to be.

That said, if you consider T&T as a team we should beat say, ~85% of the time, the hockey comps might be teams like Germany or Switzerland, and while I'm a lot more confident that our hockey team can roll either of those teams, given both the on and off ice question marks surrounding our team, I'm a little less confident than I should be. Funny enough, I think a lot of the same problems that plague soccer canada plague hockey canada as well on a different level.

9 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Just to clarify, what I meant was if our ranking were the same in both sports.

I still worry about upsets - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is certainly not unknown for Canada.

It is also one game, which always bothers me.  Quality usually shines through a bit better even over a two-legged tie. 

That said, of course we have to win and if that is not clear to the players, the coach certainly doesn't deserve to be there. 

It's a lot easier to capitalize on mistakes or big chances in soccer than in hockey. Belgium beat us essentially by generating a single good chance and capitalizing on it. If a hockey team keeps their opponent to one single good scoring opportunity in a game, no matter how flat your offense is, you're winning that game with extreme ease.

A lot better chance for a bad back pass to Borjan that gets intercepted by T&T ends up in a game winning goal against us than if a puck bounces off a stick and the opponent skates down the other side of the ice and generates a high percentage 2 or 3 on 1 chance.

Last squad predictions (not my choices but what I think Biello does). Bolded are my guarantees. 

3 GK Crepeau DSC Borjan
5 CB Miller Cornelius Vitoria Bombito LDF
3 FB Johnston Davies Ali 
4 CM Kone Staq Choiniere oso
4 Wingers Millar hoilett buchanan corbeanu
4 Strikers David Larin Ugbo Brym

HM: Shaf, sirios, bair, piette. 
INJ: Adekugbe, laryea

Bombito and Ali are versatile enough to cover multiple positions. I could see ugbo or brym dropped for a cm like piette. I would also say biello wants shaf over corbeanu but hes chosen because of his recent sub appearances. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Steph and Kone, Piette behind them to anchor as they go forward.

That would be my choice.  Piette has his critics and you could make arguments about his limitations, but he knows his role so we don't get caught out on the counter lime we were on the second Jamaican goal, where we turned over the ball on the right side of our attack but we had both central mids and the LB on the other side caught out of recovery position.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Going off the board: Lucas Pos will be called into the squad and Johnston will play his natural position. 

That would imply we are playing with a back 4. Which would make sense in that case. 
If it's a back 3, I'm picking Tajon 9/10 times over Allistair in the RWB position. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

That would imply we are playing with a back 4. Which would make sense in that case. 
If it's a back 3, I'm picking Tajon 9/10 times over Allistair in the RWB position. 

I am good with a back three with both Buchanon and Davies as wingbacks so long as a proper, discilpined d-mid is in place to provide cover and shield.

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I am good with a back three with both Buchanon and Davies as wingbacks so long as a proper, discilpined d-mid is in place to provide cover and shield.

I want to move on from him for reasons unknown...but tbh I just watched him on Sunday and the reality is this guy is no other than Samuel Piette.