CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You should watch Waterman in Montreal.

In previous years I was dead set against having him on the NT but he has progressed in leaps and bounds. He is the best Canuck central CB right now.

Edited by Sal333

11 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

In previous years I was dead set against having him on the NT but he has progressed in leaps and bounds. He is the best central CB right now.

I have always been a big Waterman guy. His defending and ability in the air is not outstanding, but his distribution is. I would be happy to see us give him a chance in the middle, with Bombito/McGraw and Miller/Cornelius on either side. I can also see MacNaughton doing well in that role for the same reason, but I believe Nashville are still playing in a 4 and Waterman has been playing in the middle of a back 3 with Montreal.

35 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

In previous years I was dead set against having him on the NT but he has progressed in leaps and bounds. He is the best central CB right now.

I feel like waterman doesnt suit CMNT as a central CB. Vitorias aerially ability and dominance in the box for crosses really helped out AJ and miller. 

Waterman doesnt seem to have that aura about him. 

How do you feel waterman does at organizing and calming the back line? 

Whats everyones predicted lineup that biello will use. 

Im guessing a 4-4-2 is his choice. If he did that vs jamaica, its likely he thinks we can use it vs t and t. 

Borjan 
Johnston Miller Cornelius Laryea
Buchanan Kone Staq Davies
david Larin. 

Vitoria or cornelius is the main debate. Also does phonzie play LB. Biello said he wants davies like he plays at bayern and then proceeded to put in on the wing. I think he will continue this logic as he will want defensive solidity with a 2 man midfield. 

Tough on millar if davies plays wing. 

9 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Whats everyones predicted lineup that biello will use. 

Im guessing a 4-4-2 is his choice. If he did that vs jamaica, its likely he thinks we can use it vs t and t. 

Borjan 
Johnston Miller Cornelius Laryea
Buchanan Kone Staq Davies
david Larin. 

Vitoria or cornelius is the main debate. Also does phonzie play LB. Biello said he wants davies like he plays at bayern and then proceeded to put in on the wing. I think he will continue this logic as he will want defensive solidity with a 2 man midfield. 

Tough on millar if davies plays wing. 

This would be my lineup but I think it’s Vitoria that starts, not DC. For Millar, didn’t Herdman play him as a second striker a few times? Could be a Larin sub.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Hey stay current with the program, Lie-eh is injured. We might need to bring in a youngster, Corbeeno, or maybe Colon from Holland.  I am also hearing good things about a kid named Wobbly Pacifier, signed with an MLS club.  You need to stay on top of this like I do.  

I'd go with this veteran line up that I found from 2020...

Borat 

LarryEh                           Addagedude

CornonCob Victoria 

Pistachio           Kanye

Ontario

Dave                                 Dave

Larry     

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

This would be my lineup but I think it’s Vitoria that starts, not DC. For Millar, didn’t Herdman play him as a second striker a few times? Could be a Larin sub.

I think millars only played striker at the gold cup for CMNT. For club he has more appearances. Im guessing that millar subs in at wing late in the game for buchanan and larin comes off for ugbo/cav/bair/brym. I dont see biello playing millar up top to hold a lead or score a goal. 

I could be persuaded that vitoria starts as well. Every day i flip flop. 

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I feel like waterman doesnt suit CMNT as a central CB. Vitorias aerially ability and dominance in the box for crosses really helped out AJ and miller. 

Waterman doesnt seem to have that aura about him. 

How do you feel waterman does at organizing and calming the back line? 

I know what you mean. It would be a different look for sure. In a back 3 it could work so long as we have at least 1 guy who can win stuff in the air. Chances are it would be either Bombito or McGraw.

I have more faith in Waterman organizing things from that position than Cornelius. Hard to pinpoint it, but when Derek played there things seemed a bit frazzled at times and less secure. 

Not sure if Waterman is the answer but I would be willing to try. I don't think Cornelius is the answer. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I know what you mean. It would be a different look for sure. In a back 3 it could work so long as we have at least 1 guy who can win stuff in the air. Chances are it would be either Bombito or McGraw.

I have more faith in Waterman organizing things from that position than Cornelius. Hard to pinpoint it, but when Derek played there things seemed a bit frazzled at times and less secure. 

Not sure if Waterman is the answer but I would be willing to try. I don't think Cornelius is the answer. 

agreed. In terms of stylistic compliments I think a miller mcnaughton bombito back 3 is the best option. (Not the best lineup, just complimentary skills).

-all 3 are relatively good on the ball (waterman makes a case vs bombito).
-Miller over cornelius for playing out from the back. 
-Mcnaughton over ZMG,waterman,cornelius because he seems to defend extremely well with the play in front of him which is likely to be the case for a central CB.
-Bombito compliments the backline with his pace and aerially ability vs AJ or waterman. 

ZMG makes a case over mcnaughton as well but I give a slight edge to mcnaughton due to speed and general feeling of calmness. 

48 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I think millars only played striker at the gold cup for CMNT. For club he has more appearances. Im guessing that millar subs in at wing late in the game for buchanan and larin comes off for ugbo/cav/bair/brym. I dont see biello playing millar up top to hold a lead or score a goal. 

I could be persuaded that vitoria starts as well. Every day i flip flop. 

Yeah, that’s what I meant, for Canada. Agreed it’s not his position at the club but if it’s the one way to get him on, then why not. I think that the staff see him more as a late game spark plug though, so less for holding onto a lead, more for trying to get a goal when your offense is dry.

I want Cornelius to start. I just think Biello goes with Vitoria until the wheels fall off. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I have always been a big Waterman guy. His defending and ability in the air is not outstanding, but his distribution is. I would be happy to see us give him a chance in the middle, with Bombito/McGraw and Miller/Cornelius on either side. I can also see MacNaughton doing well in that role for the same reason, but I believe Nashville are still playing in a 4 and Waterman has been playing in the middle of a back 3 with Montreal.

Sounds like we need to set up a reality tv show on some Caribbean island, Temptation Island, with all the aspiring centre backs, and the winner gets to start beside Vitoria.

My theory is if he watches he'll decide to resign from the national team and the show can have two winners.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Think Biello will pick 5 out of this group of 8 and the other 3 will miss out: Theo C, Jnr, Piette, Brym, Cav, Ugbo, Bair & Ahmed. I'm assuming Adekugbe, Kennedy & Laryea are injured and will not be selected and that LDF is in because he's been picked for the last 3 games. Not my picks, but what I think Biello will do. In the 18:  3 keepers, Bombito, Choiniere and the vets from the WC.

Edited by Kadenge

8 hours ago, kacbru said:

I'd go with this veteran line up that I found from 2020...

Borat 

LarryEh                           Addagedude

CornonCob Victoria 

Pistachio           Kanye

Ontario

Dave                                 Dave

Larry     

John Candy and Danny Aykroyd had been dead for a while don't insult their memoirs 

That's awful lot !!!  You ain't SCTV

9 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Vitoria or cornelius is the main debate. Also does phonzie play LB. 

I feel pretty sure that Vitoria will be starting ahead of Cornelius in this one-leg, win-and-you're-in playoff but I think Davies will be in a LB/LWB spot due to the possible absences of Adekugbe and Laryea, so perhaps Millar is played in front of him.  Or do they go back to a 3-4-3 from the World Cup? 

Just don't shit the bed here, guys.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Oddly, Sam is the one with the least clear replacement.

There's a good chance Biello goes to 3 at the back without Adekugbe & Laryea. I would be surprised if he plays Davies at LB.

Laryea is a tough loss because he’s such a Swiss knife for us.

Ahmed and Buchanan are both capable LWB replacements for Davies if needed. Hoping we play similar to how we did against Suriname or Haiti (2nd match) in WCQ - in many ways the matches are similar. 

—————David—-Larin—————

—————Kone——Staq—————

Davies————Piette——-Buchanan

———Miller—Cornelius—Johnston—-

I went a little more offensive with Buchanan at RWB instead of Johnston but Piette is meant to offset that. It allows our best 6 attackers to get forward, which has to be the goal against a team that’s going to bunker.

If there’s a negative, I would say it’s a tough formation to fit Shaff, Millar or Corbeanu into as subs. 

Subs I’d expect in this example would be: Osorio, Hoilett, Ahmed, Ugbo/Bair/Cavallini/JRR (whoever they go with), Bombito.

Edited by CanadaFan123

24 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There's a good chance Biello goes to 3 at the back without Adekugbe & Laryea. I would be surprised if he plays Davies at LB.

It could be a 4-4-2, put Tajon as LB and Johnston as RB with Cornelius and Vitoria in the middle; Davies as left mid with Steph and Kone, Piette behind them to anchor as they go forward. Larin and David up top. For me, you can't go berserk sending guys forward up both wings, you pick one and the other is more defensive. But still, the LB is the missing piece if Sam is out.