CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

10 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not pointless if somebody is still auditioning to be head coach though and needs the best possible short term outcome to secure that job.

I agree that's why I said...

47 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't think anyone here thinks Biello thinks else wise. I still thinks he wants to steady the ship, and keep the status quo especially as the "Interim Manager (Rafa Benitez voice)". 

My squad suggestion was me laying out our current best players...if I did a squad prediction Hoilett, Vitoria, Piette and Borjan are all in it - I just think it's a waste. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Trinidad doesn’t have as much talent as they have in years past but one player to look out for is Levi Garcia. Currently has 11 goals in 12 league games for AEK Athens but has missed 18 games to injury this season including last weekend. 

Only because Athens has like 40 clubs.  And AEK's spiritual home is elsewhere...

I am hoping Levi will also be injured that weekend.  He is T & T's version of Cyle Larin: a player who can score from anywhere in the box with his head.  Canada will really have to focus on defending crosses and set pieces.

Edited by Metro

Our core of « young veterans » (Davies, David, Larin, Eustaquio, Buchanan, Laryea, Johnston, etc.) is experienced enough to go into the T&T game and win. 

I would keep Vittoria and Osorio on the squad for leadership and because we don’t have clear cut replacements for them but I’d prefer if they don’t start. I want Vittoria and Bombito on the squad to show him the ropes. 

Cavalini and Hoilett shouldn’t be included because they have in form replacements (Ugbo/Bair and Corbeanu). 

Borjan it’s different, I would rather have Crépeau start in his place but I wouldn’t mind having him in the squad for good vibes. 

It’s not that big of a move to phase out 2/3 big names. I dont know why we make it a bigger deal than it is. 

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Trinidad doesn’t have as much talent as they have in years past but one player to look out for is Levi Garcia. Currently has 11 goals in 12 league games for Athens but has missed 18 games 

Fun fact, Trinidad have a guy who played in Champions League in the last 3 years, and it isn't Garcia. 

36 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

Cavalini and Hoilett shouldn’t be included because they have in form replacements (Ugbo/Bair and Corbeanu).

Agreed. If players like Bair are going to be in form there's no reason to include older players who don't have a big role in future matches.

36 minutes ago, HochelagaFC said:

Borjan it’s different, I would rather have Crépeau start in his place but I wouldn’t mind having him in the squad for good vibes.

It’s not that big of a move to phase out 2/3 big names. I dont know why we make it a bigger deal than it is. 

We actually have quite a few good goalies to choose from at the moment (Sirois, Crepeau, St. Clair) and so to continue going with Borjan is a bit disappointing. I agree he could probably provide a good voice in the room and on the bench but I think we have a trio (and arguably a fourth in McGill) who are better shot stoppers than him at this stage.

There's always a balance between veteran voices in the room versus on the pitch but I can't see us going with Borjan in 2026. We need to start giving some other guys some time to prove themselves.

Just now, PiedPilko said:

Fun fact, Trinidad have a guy who played in Champions League in the last 3 years, and it isn't Garcia. 

If you’re talking about Keston Julien then that’s inaccurate. He’s unattached this season so didn’t play but did from 2020 to 2022.

A lot of players I would have pencilled in for Trinidad are unattached or have dropped down this year. Kevin Molino looks to be done and Joevin Jones is playing in T&T. Both players would be interesting CPL pickups along with Julien. 

My team for T and T 

1- Borjan

2 Johnston

3 Layrea 

4 Vitoria 

5 Miller 

6 Fraser 

7 Buchanan 

8 Eustaquio

9 David 

10 Colyn 

11 Shaffenburg 

4-4-1-1   attacking possession football 

6-0 Canada with this 11.  Tiki Taka football.

Davies as an impact player to make some havoc,     a back 4,  Colyn in the hole and David doing his Kun Agüero thing

I'm positive to add the in form players from the bench (Waterman /Kennedy  curbeanu froeze /bait/Ugbo) the nore tje merrier 

Edited by JAVIERF

4 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

My team for T and T 

1- Borjan

2 Johnston

3 Layrea 

4 Vitoria 

5 Miller 

6 Fraser 

7 Buchanan 

8 Eustaquio

9 David 

10 Colyn 

11 Shaffenburg 

Davies as an impact player to make some havoc,     a back 4,  Colyn in the hole and David doing his Kun Agüero thing

I'm positive to add the in form players from the bench (Waterman /Kennedy  curbeanu froeze /bait/Ugbo) the nore tje merrier 

I blocked you, but I opened the post only to see how you are spelling Shafflingbourgh lately. 

9 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

My team for T and T 

1- Borjan

2 Johnston

3 Layrea 

4 Vitoria 

5 Miller 

6 Fraser 

7 Buchanan 

8 Eustaquio

9 David 

10 Colyn 

11 Shaffenburg 

Argentina must have an anti MIllar button never seen him once include him in any selection ever.. 20+ games started in the championship 9 goal involvements  team pushing for a playoff spot… I know I should know better than reply…🤦🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Argentina must have an anti MIllar button never seen him once include him in any selection ever.. 20+ games started in the championship 9 goal involvements  team pushing for a playoff spot… I know I should know better than reply…🤦🏻‍♂️

Don't worry, my friend. I don't think you need to take any post containing the word "Shaffenburg" seriously. 

24 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Don't worry, my friend. I don't think you need to take any post containing the word "Shaffenburg" seriously. 

He will be subbed for “bait” who is on the bench. Him or Curbeanu. We’ve become so developed as a soccer nation that we’re calling up guys I’ve never even heard of. That’s depth.

54 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Hey, at least millar is in good company on the bench in the least intelligent hypothetical lineup we've ever seen. Davies and Liam can compare notes from the sidelines....

Whats even more wild is that shaffenbuourgah is not a tiki taka type player. Hes more counterattack into space. Liams interplay is much better and hes more comfortable in tighter pockets of space. It seems like a no brainer that the argentines would pick liam over shaneffburg. 

2 hours ago, spitfire said:

Schauffenhausen is way ahead of Millar in the Rio de Plata pecking order.

That's my eleveb ,  I like Millar and Davies is a bit arrogant ( he has his reasons ). But I place my best 11,: the passing style Argentina but with Canadian dudes ,   DAVIES I can only have him as right nid or left back.   Of course Shaffenburg and Buchanan are better players for me that the rest you have on the flanks .

You need to keep it on the deck grass football,  no long ball nonsense , tiki taka