CNL: Canada vs Jamaica - Tuesday, November 21st - 7:30pm EST / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

6 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

Was I the only one frustrated with Wheeler for being too ignorant to properly report after conceiding the penalty we actually needed 2 goals to advance or even force play beyond 90 minutes

Part of eventually becoming a soccer nation is getting quality football media in across the country. We are almost starved for it even with the tiny progress weve made in the last decade or so.

He did not say this because it was not true. After they scored on the penalty, a single Canada goal would have been enough to advance.

1 minute ago, Hawkguy said:

Players cough up the ball all the time. If you're expecting them to be perfect with such poor movement, then I'm not sure what to tell you. 

I wish it was but honestly, it isnt. The team has alot of technical and tactical deficiencies and they are problems you can trace in multiple games across time. 

Many deficiencies or outright weaknesses were there well before we qualified for Qatar. The difference was we made working on them and counteracting them a priority even in the octagonal.

Once we got to the World Cup, aka the full level, those deficiencies and weaknesses were glaringly exposed by better teams.

Again, we are not even close to a full quality team, even with our golden generation.

Problem 2 is that since  the World Cup, we have become habitual about playing without adressing those problems, while also creating several more types of technical and tactical errors. We now do them routinely. 

Giving away the ball and in horrible areas is one of those big types. It isnt just isolated incidents. You have to ask yourself what led to those give aways.

Things like that are not occuring in a vacuum or without other factors behind them. If you look at our WC collapse, horrid giveaways leading to goals absolutely sunk us. 

This is just one category of our existing and new  tactical and technical problems.

In Jamaica, we won because we actually addressed some of them.

23 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This is the consoling part.   The goal here is to qualify for Copa.  How we do it doesn't matter except that wrapping it up sooner (like tonight) would have been better.  If we qualify for Copa and do well at Copa,  this result can be forgotten.  

After playing at WC 86, and WC 2022, playing in Copa would be the most important competition in the history of the program.  We dont get any other chances to play quality competition in official matches.   

You think so?

If we're collapsing at home to Jamaica, on the heels of losing badly to Japan, after looking mediocre in the Nations League (not counting GC because it wasn't really a first team), with an interim coach, backroom upheaval, and few future opportunities to build confidence.... 

We may not be out of Copa qualifying but it certainly doesn't leave me with any confidence about qualifying for, or doing well at Copa. At the very least it's a clear step back for the program from WCQ.

Sure we have talent, but it's looking like a jumbled mess at the moment. More than anything else, I think we need a respected Manager who has a tactical plan that has previously been successful, that the squad buy into. Otherwise it's going to be more rogue hero ball with a dodgy defense to boot.

Pretty gutting result.   Drowning my sorrows in corner store sushi and cold samosas.   I fully expect to have the shits tomorrow. 

Man that one hurts.   Haven’t seem the replays but we were floored at the PK call as it looked completely innocuous from the supporter’s section.  And the goal

on rhe counter definitely looked like a foul in the buildup.  It was pretty depressing to hear the crowd erupt when Jamaica scored.   Every time.  Fuck. 

Glad I went to Ripley’s Aquarium today - it provides some consolation in an otherwise shitty day.  Got to pet a manta ray.  Yay?   Feel bad for my wife - she was pumped to see the boys and I wanted her to have a fun win - or at least a draw that would have been the overall positive result we needed.  At least she also petted the manta ray.  

This one definitely feels like “the good old days”.  Winning down there and then blowing a lead through a combo on individual errors and wasteful efforts to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  Vintage Canada and deja vu all over again.  Probably shouldn’t have rewatched Groundhog Day last night.  

Fack…..

51 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

To all my doubters,

Can someone explain to me why Ahmed played a GRAND TOTAL of 0 minutes total in both legs? Literally thought he wasn’t called up and now I see why. Can someone explain to me why someone like invisible Oso gets ahead of him at this point? A response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shut the fuck up.

I was at the stadium so cannot speak the validity of the penalty, but the foul that Jamaica got away with en route to their second goal was pretty blatant. It doesn’t change how gutless Canada was to start the second half (after looking like they deserved a 5-0 lead in the first half if not for André Blake’s Superman routine), but it still sits wrong.

Speaking of which, Jamaica were one of the few teams I always felt weren’t “Concacaffy”, as in, they played a tough but honest game and didn’t resort to the assorted bullshit we’ve all come to love about certain other nations in the region. That all went out the window tonight.

1 minute ago, canadave said:

Half empty stadium, opponent supporters louder than home fans, embarassing play. This was a real throwback. Worried this is more the norm again than a blast from the past. 

Stadium was surprisingly full, other than the stand that wasn't open. Jamaicans were scattered all throughout the stadium which was expected. You only heard them when they scored... and the result was the reason for that.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I was at the stadium so cannot speak the validity of the penalty, but the foul that Jamaica got away with en route to their second goal was pretty blatant. It doesn’t change how gutless Canada was to start the second half (after looking like they deserved a 5-0 lead in the first half if not for André Blake’s Superman routine), but it still sits wrong.

Speaking of which, Jamaica were one of the few teams I always felt weren’t “Concacaffy”, as in, they played a tough but honest game and didn’t resort to the assorted bullshit we’ve all come to love about certain other nations in the region. That all went out the window tonight.

What did you see that was Concacafy? Trying to time waste when Leon when down and the ball was thrown out by Blake and Canada didn't return it?

I didn't see them doing anything like the usual culprits of Concacaf...(feigning injuries, dirty shit, referee intimidation, etc.)