Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They haven't played him much recently, not a loss.

I thought it was a poor move in the first place by Schuster to reup him on a higher cap eating deal a couple of years ago, based on a limited number of final stretch matches leading to a one-and-out in the playoffs at SKC.  Not a fit for a back three, no engine room or wheels for LWB/LB, and then his crossing service ability seemed to abandon him.  It might be onto a post playing career.

Based on the starting line up, I would have taken a draw.  But Dallas was quite poor, and the Whitecaps really should have won that.

Armstrong's cameo was pretty good.  Caicedo also might be a viable option off the bench late this season.

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Do you think this is to reinforce the squad for the final months of the season, ensure playoffs and playoffs themselves? Or in anticipation of selling some players in the off-season?

I realize it helps depth, with the Armstrong signing, but just trying to figure out the logic overall. Maybe it fills some positional gaps? 

Caps are in a position, with a couple wins on games on hand, to push into spots meriting preferable home matches in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do you think this is to reinforce the squad for the final months of the season, ensure playoffs and playoffs themselves? Or in anticipation of selling some players in the off-season?

I realize it helps depth, with the Armstrong signing, but just trying to figure out the logic overall. Maybe it fills some positional gaps? 

Caps are in a position, with a couple wins on games on hand, to push into spots meriting preferable home matches in the playoffs. 

I assumed it was somewhat cynical and they are putting them on pro deals so they don’t lose them to the CPL even if they have no real immediate desire to play them (at least beyond some garbage minutes or where injuries or international call ups demand it). 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think with Fleurian Chateau they're getting ready to replace Levonte Johnson.  LV just hasn't shown enough at this level, and he's had plenty of chances.  I would expect to start seeing NFC more in late games than LV.

Badwal I can't say.  I know he's well liked at the WFC2 level, but I'm not confident Vanni will play him.

32 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think with Fleurian Chateau they're getting ready to replace Levonte Johnson.  LV just hasn't shown enough at this level, and he's had plenty of chances.  I would expect to start seeing NFC more in late games than LV.

Badwal I can't say.  I know he's well liked at the WFC2 level, but I'm not confident Vanni will play him.

Thanks...and how much longer is Brian White supposed to be out for?

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks...and how much longer is Brian White supposed to be out for?

They're taking his recovery slow.  He trained this week but he's not playing.  Gauld and Picault are back from international duty, so they'll likely start up front.  Some talk of a shift to 3-5-2 rather than 3-4-3, but we'll see.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A little of both.  I also suspect the usual lower depth Cancon roster churn prep for when the season is over.

14 hours ago, Watchmen said:

So much for that.  First opportunity, and Fleurian Chateau isn't even in the 18.  LV comes on late and his contribution is a badly missed shot that was offside anyway.

18 hours ago, An Observer said:

I assumed it was somewhat cynical and they are putting them on pro deals so they don’t lose them to the CPL even if they have no real immediate desire to play them (at least beyond some garbage minutes or where injuries or international call ups demand it). 

Could well be. I was sitting directly behind Fleurian at a match at Willougby in the summer and it sure seemed like he was having a good long think about CPL.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If Vanni thinks he can turn around this lifelong 'Caps fan, who's still not convinced by him as manager, by saying sweet things about my childhood hero, then he's got me bang to rights! 😄 

It was a very strong statement, and in fact the whole press conference was really good. He is maybe settling a bit, not so histrionic as he used to be. Also, it is true the team has more dominant moments this season than probably any time in our MLS history. 

It comes down to taking the chances facing us. 

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It was a very strong statement, and in fact the whole press conference was really good. He is maybe settling a bit, not so histrionic as he used to be. Also, it is true the team has more dominant moments this season than probably any time in our MLS history. 

It comes down to taking the chances facing us. 

A few months ago, I called Vanni a buffoon on this board.  Based on the last two times I've heard him speak (this one and press conference with Marsch and Schuster) I want to rescind that comment.  

It went under the radar, but i do appreciate that Vanni came out last week and said "playoffs isn't enough. We need to win a round." Because I think that's what's been missing from the organization for a while. It's been "just make the playoffs" for too long, with no further ambition. At least he's said what the fans have been saying for a while.

https://theprovince.com/sports/countdown-nine-games-whitecaps