Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Damn. I mean, good for him. But I hate the extra travel for such a meaningless game.

on the positive side, whitecaps don't start leagues cup until the 30th. some of these guys will have the all-star game and have to rush back for games on the 26th/27th/28th

On 6/30/2024 at 12:32 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It didn't end up costing the Whitecaps in the end...but I really have no idea what a hand ball is anymore!! I always thought the refs take into account whether the ball bounced onto the arm after hitting another part of the body. I'm trying to be as objective as possible...but in an ideal world, I don't think that should be a penalty on Brown. Thoughts?

On 6/26/2024 at 3:19 PM, Watchmen said:

Radio station that aired the Whitecaps games has been quietly closed.

Looks like matches are now being streamed on CKNW.com instead.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That was some timely finishing from the Whitecaps and it vaults them over Minnesota. It doesn't change the fact they need to upgrade this summer, but it makes them less desperate when buying.

But they still play amazingly poorly and they are full of wrong decisions all over the pitch. They just finish clinically. I found the match, even winning, maddening. There's your 10th best team in MLS.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But they still play amazingly poorly and they are full of wrong decisions all over the pitch. They just finish clinically. I found the match, even winning, maddening. There's your 10th best team in MLS.

Vanni's zonal marking is horrific. Players look lost at times over what they're supposed to do or where to go. And his 3-4-3 set up also pushes players in the spots they're not comfortable in. I'm not saying this is a great team, but it's hard to figure out what they do have because the coaching is so atrocities. 

On 7/4/2024 at 11:06 AM, Watchmen said:

Vanni's zonal marking is horrific. Players look lost at times over what they're supposed to do or where to go. And his 3-4-3 set up also pushes players in the spots they're not comfortable in. I'm not saying this is a great team, but it's hard to figure out what they do have because the coaching is so atrocities. 

This is what I've noticed.  They have a good squad, but the formation/system doesn't seem to bring the best out of them.  Another coach that can't or won't adapt to his squad.  

Don't think it will happen today, but would like to see Boehmer get in to an MLS game soon.  Wednesday at home to KC would be a good one.  I don't have a problem with Takaoka continuing to be the #1, but Vanni's going down the same path as last year of overplaying him and burning him out by seasons end.  Plus, Boehmer has been good in his Voyageurs Cup appearances.  Granted, one of those was against a CPL side that struggles to score. But he still made a number of quality saves.

This team doesn't make things easy on itself. Should have won by 3 or 4. Can't keep a clean sheet.

Thought Ahmed was making some good plays tonight, but a fraction too slow. 2 goals called off because he waited a bit too long to make a pass.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

This team doesn't make things easy on itself. Should have won by 3 or 4. Can't keep a clean sheet.

glass half full take is that they're starting to look closer to last year with chance creation from open play, the spell in may/early june was dire in that regard

4 minutes ago, saladroit said:

glass half full take is that they're starting to look closer to last year with chance creation from open play, the spell in may/early june was dire in that regard

They need more consistency from a number of the players. Raposo scored last week, and this week you were having to duck if you were in row Z. Vite can't softly shoot it straight at the goalie from dead center in front of the net and unmarked. Vanni's "perfect defensive system" hasn't kept a clean sheet in MLS since May 4, when Austin attempted only 1 shot on net the entire game. 

At least Fafa got his 2nd in two games. And as I said Ahmed was good, his timing was just a fraction off. Otherwise, he would have had a goal and an assist.

I picked a good day to go be entertained by the Whitecaps. 

Luis Martins, who decided this guy gets to be a professional footballer? Then it doesn't help that Berhalter didn't get the memo about his special needs, playing on the same side of the pitch. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist