Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

46 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

Not able to watch this one. Is Bovalina any good? Seems to be getting the opportunities that the Caps academy players are not getting. 

Good question.  He got subbed out for Raposo to start the second half so, meh?

I see they've gone back to having two back up keepers insyead of an extra outfield youngster.  Gotta think the flyer taken in acquiring Priso has been a bust considering that Laborda was started as a central d-mid in the absence of Cubas.  Johnson stays on the bench as Kreilach now replaces the injured sub White.  The Austrian takes the dumb second yellow to put them down to 10 men.

Tough outing for Bilboa...er..the Caps so far.

Edit: I missed Johnson getting subbed in for Laborda in the 77th minute.

Edited by BearcatSA

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Good question.  He got subbed out for Raposo to start the second half so, meh?

I see they've gone back to having two back up keepers insyead of an extra outfield youngster.  Gotta think the flyer taken in acquiring Priso has been a bust considering that Laborda was started as a central d-mid in the absence of Cubas.  Johnson stays on the bench as Kreilach now replaces the injured sub White.  The Austrian takes the dumb second yellow to put them down to 10 men.

Tough outing for Bilboa...er..the Caps so far.

Edit: I missed Johnson getting subbed in for Laborda in the 77th minute.

I've started watching WFC2 a bit more, and I think the truth is that there's simply not as much there as there might have been in previous years.  I would have liked to have seen Badwal when they called him up last week and it's sort of weird we haven't seen Herdman by now.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Whitecaps needed that.  St Louis is a very poor team.  Two of White's were lucky (the deflection off Nerwinski and the back heel over the keeper) but at least they finally got goals from someone other than Gauld.

definitely lucky but at the same time they hit the bar and johnson had a couple clear chances so i can't say it was fully undeserved. second half was probably the best the whitecaps have played since the match against tfc in april lol

2 minutes ago, saladroit said:

definitely lucky but at the same time they hit the bar and johnson had a couple clear chances so i can't say it was fully undeserved. second half was probably the best the whitecaps have played since the match against tfc in april lol

Up against the worst road team in MLS, with Jake at CB?   

Even when Cubas and Ahmed return, this team has a clear ceiling but fortunately there are a bunch of worse teams behind them in this conference, so that should get them into the playoffs before the final day of the regular season.

I don't know what it is about them that they seem completely unwilling to win by more than 1 goal.  They can't help themselves.  They seem to always give away a late, terrible goal that could cost them.

2 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Up against the worst road team in MLS, with Jake at CB?   

Even when Cubas and Ahmed return, this team has a clear ceiling but fortunately there are a bunch of worse teams behind them in this conference, so that should get them into the playoffs before the final day of the regular season.

The standings seem to be separating in to 10 teams for 9 spots.  The Whitecaps current advantage is still having games in hand, and frankly quite a few of the teams not being great either.  But I'm sure at least a few of those teams will strengthen in the summer.  We'll see if the Whitecaps keep up.

On 6/22/2024 at 8:33 PM, Soro17 said:

Not able to watch this one. Is Bovalina any good? Seems to be getting the opportunities that the Caps academy players are not getting. 

Quoting myself here. Went to the match last night and kept an eye in Bovalina. No idea what they see in him. Most of his few touches were poor. Played the ball into touch a few times. Doesn’t seem particularly fast and runs in a weird hunched manner. Seemed confused out there generally. Big shrug from me. 

52 minutes ago, saladroit said:

that's the exact type of game i'd expect them to bottle!

Which makes them what they are:  a team as mediocre as a bunch of others in this league.  

But hey, they are in this conference so they should be able to make the playoffs and ride their luck in that lottery.