Vancouver Whitecaps - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

4 hours ago, Ed_S said:

No one has mentioned the dog-shit turf they play on as a reason for keeping players out of the game. Why risk an injury for your stars??

Because I don't think it was a deciding factor. Even if BC Place had grass, given the long flight and quick turnaround in Miami's schedule, I don't think Messi is playing anyways.

Plus, Messi already showed he is willing to play on the fake stuff when Miami visited New England earlier this season.

7 hours ago, masster said:

Plus, Messi already showed he is willing to play on the fake stuff when Miami visited New England earlier this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if playing in New England once might very well have changed his mind about playing on that kind of turf again a few weeks later.  Recovery time was a lot worse in my case.

Schuster on the radio this morning (650 am). Didn't sound happy with him the Miami fiasco unfolded. Sounds like the Whitecaps cashed in a few chips to get the game in the first place, and I think he's been on the phone to the league.

But, the topic of Vanni did come up. Said he understood people starting to question the coach, but felt it was too early for a move yet and it wasn't really under consideration.

44 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

That, and it helps when six or seven Kansas players just stand around and watch him.

That was the first one. Second one was a horrific turnover by a Kansas player, but nicely taken and slotted home.

the 3-5-2 (or really 3-1-4-2) looked pretty good (as it did last year), interested to see if they stay with it or if they go back to the 3-4-3. think the 3-4-3 works better if the caps are chasing the game, not from the starting game state

1 hour ago, saladroit said:

the 3-5-2 (or really 3-1-4-2) looked pretty good (as it did last year), interested to see if they stay with it or if they go back to the 3-4-3. think the 3-4-3 works better if the caps are chasing the game, not from the starting game state

Since a fair number of people around here know more about soccer tactics than I do, I have a question:

Does a formation change from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 really make that much difference in the course of play?  To my untrained eye, it seems that players are moving all over the field anyways, regardless of the stated formation.

1 minute ago, Goal_Kick said:

Since a fair number of people around here know more about soccer tactics than I do, I have a question:

Does a formation change from 3-5-2 to 3-4-3 really make that much difference in the course of play?  To my untrained eye, it seems that players are moving all over the field anyways, regardless of the stated formation.

I think the difference is that there's a bit more coverage defensively, especially through the middle. Last year the Whitecaps did tend to control the middle of the pitch more often than not. And when you have your wingers running up with the attack there's someone more readily available to drift in behind them for coverage.

Further, 3 at the front I don't think really works, at least with the talent at this level. It requires a lot of pressing and speed, which the Whitecaps don't have. Which is why my biggest complaint this year is that Vanni picked a formation his players aren't suited to, and then seemed shocked when it fell apart on him.

And of course, they played the worst team in the west last night, and that definitely helped with the result.

2 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

Ya, it can be a major shift.  3-1-4-2 would imply a defensive mid providing cover to the back and stabilizing the midfield, while the 3-4-3 would imply just 2 guys running the midfield and 3 guys up top.  Could make a huge difference depending the team you're facing and the squad you have.

When they signed Kreilach, this was the role I envisioned for him - off the bench, poaching a late winner.  Certainly ugly, but it's the kind of goal White hasn't been able to get in a month.

Team seems devoid of ideas going forward right now.  It's like Teibert is coaching the offense - all backwards passes.  Very slow play as well. Have noticed that it's not uncommon for a pressing striker to be able to cover to defenders passing it amongst themselves because they're passing it so slowly.

Playing a struggling Laborda in the center of the back 3 was simply an awful decision, and it nearly cost them a number of times.

There is no attacking inventiveness here.  Just grinders out there that work hard and hope the pressure causes the other team to f*ck up and turnover the ball for a quick counteratrack.  Fortunately, there are enough teams in this conference and league who will oblige.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

There is no attacking inventiveness here.  Just grinders out there that work hard and hope the pressure causes the other team to f*ck up and turnover the ball for a quick counteratrack.  Fortunately, there are enough teams in this conference and league who will oblige.

Yep.  Despite their troubles, the Whitecaps are in fifth place in the West.  I fully expect them to make the playoffs but I doubt they'll be able to do much once they're there with the present team.