Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

The transfer window is open until April 23rd so there's still plenty of time available to add a couple of key players. Suspect Herdman's top priority is getting Insigne and Bernardeschi on board with what he is doing and his assessment is that sorting out the culture of the club is most important and a revolving door approach wouldn't be conducive to that. If so, he better be right or he could wind up being the next Chris Armas in longevity terms.

18 minutes ago, narduch said:

The window might be open until April but the season starts in a few weeks.

This club always seems to be behind the 8 ball.

Other clubs aren't waiting to make moves. 

It is strange, but we could say Herdman wanted more time hands-on before making major changes.  His mindset/motivation system surely requires making one on one connections first.  At the same time, he was onboard very early, even if he wasn't actually managing, should have given him loads of time to decide what he wanted to do with the team.  Either way, I wouldn't throw the cards in just yet, he inherited this team in a rough spot. It will take time, but as we've seen he's gifted in turning things around.  This is his zone.  

3 hours ago, costarg said:

It is strange, but we could say Herdman wanted more time hands-on before making major changes.  His mindset/motivation system surely requires making one on one connections first.  At the same time, he was onboard very early, even if he wasn't actually managing, should have given him loads of time to decide what he wanted to do with the team.  Either way, I wouldn't throw the cards in just yet, he inherited this team in a rough spot. It will take time, but as we've seen he's gifted in turning things around.  This is his zone.  

What was all that time at the end of last season for?  He had ample time to decide who to shitcan and who to keep.  And the front office should have an idea of some sort of passable CB target.  Doesnt have to be a star, just someone steady and dependable.  But TFC always seems to do this, wait, make a move late or in the summer, tell us wait until next year when big signing fill in name here  gets worked into the system.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What was all that time at the end of last season for?  He had ample time to decide who to shitcan and who to keep.  And the front office should have an idea of some sort of passable CB target.  Doesnt have to be a star, just someone steady and dependable.  But TFC always seems to do this, wait, make a move late or in the summer, tell us wait until next year when big signing fill in name here  gets worked into the system.  

TFC must be the worst run team in the (western) world. But Herdman is stuck this season by all the idiotic contracts he inherited. This season is probably a write-off. Until they can shed many of their current players, bottom third is the best they can hope for. When searching for their salary cap info, I came across this frightening blast from the past: https://www.thespec.com/sports/t-o-fc-will-frighten-rivals-once-salary-cap-fixed-manager-says/article_455b7217-3ca2-550d-9e9f-d5c9fec2a9f8.html

Well, I guess they frightened them eventually, for a couple years.

52 minutes ago, Cicero said:

TFC must be the worst run team in the (western) world. But Herdman is stuck this season by all the idiotic contracts he inherited. This season is probably a write-off. Until they can shed many of their current players, bottom third is the best they can hope for. When searching for their salary cap info, I came across this frightening blast from the past: https://www.thespec.com/sports/t-o-fc-will-frighten-rivals-once-salary-cap-fixed-manager-says/article_455b7217-3ca2-550d-9e9f-d5c9fec2a9f8.html

Well, I guess they frightened them eventually, for a couple years.

Yesterday was Groundhog Day.

But with TFC it seems its always groundhog season

On 2/3/2024 at 2:22 PM, Cicero said:

But Herdman is stuck this season by all the idiotic contracts he inherited.

This is the fundamental problem.  I'm sure Herdman knows the team needs changes.  When the previous management locked up 95% of the salary space, however, there isn't a lot he can actually do.

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Bradley and Sapong were on 600k,  Guti and Vas were on 300 each.  Bring in Spicer and Flores.....even with all the funky MLS cap rules...there has to be a little wiggle room for a CB in there eh? 

I think the issue is the number of guaranteed contracts.  In John Molinaro's blog, it mentioned that there are 24 guaranteed contracts, out of a possible 30.  TFC has to reduce that number in order to bring in new players.  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Bradley and Sapong were on 600k,  Guti and Vas were on 300 each.  Bring in Spicer and Flores.....even with all the funky MLS cap rules...there has to be a little wiggle room for a CB in there eh? 

Exactly - surely you can also move out some other contracts by throwing in GAM, TAM, SLAM, BAM and whatnot. 

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

16 hours ago, kacbru said:

Exactly - surely you can also move out some other contracts by throwing in GAM, TAM, SLAM, BAM and whatnot. 

We're presuming that the GAM/TAM that existed to push those salaries under the cap is still available.  I have absolutely no idea whether there is or isn't but I presume the GAM has dried up, other than the $1.9M I believe every team gets per season.

21 minutes ago, Metro said:

We're presuming that the GAM/TAM that existed to push those salaries under the cap is still available.  I have absolutely no idea whether there is or isn't but I presume the GAM has dried up, other than the $1.9M I believe every team gets per season.

And that some players who are already on contract may see a raise this year.  The teams don't release information on how all the player salaries are covered (salary cap, DP, GAM, TAM, etc.) so we don't have the numbers to see what is left.  Also, here are the rules from last year:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/roster-rules-and-regulations

Even with all the information available, it would take serious effort to figure out the best way to allocate all the different funding types to most efficiently pay all the different players.

Overall, though, it is my impression (supported by tidbits in different published articles) that TFC has very little room to manoeuver this season both in terms of dollars and in terms of roster spots.

I do still hope they can come up with even one good defensive player, however.

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

I do still hope they can come up with even one good defensive player, however.

If they don't at least shore up the CB position, this season could look as bad as last year. They were playing Bradley at CB at the end of the season, and haven't done anything to improve things... They are both bad in the middle, and have no depth, an altogether awesome combination for the half dozen TFC fans remaining. 

31 minutes ago, Cicero said:

If they don't at least shore up the CB position, this season could look as bad as last year. They were playing Bradley at CB at the end of the season, and haven't done anything to improve things... They are both bad in the middle, and have no depth, an altogether awesome combination for the half dozen TFC fans remaining. 

Although I don't expect them to be good this year, I'm hoping they won't be as bad as last year.  A good part of last year's problems were down to who they had playing, and that hasn't really been fixed.  A good part was also down to the fact that a number of key players gave up, and that is fixable.

54 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Although I don't expect them to be good this year, I'm hoping they won't be as bad as last year.  A good part of last year's problems were down to daddy Bradley.  A good part was also down to Junior Bradley, the fact that a number of key players gave up.

Fixed your post.