Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Well we still have a good keeper and 2 wingers that should be friggin stars in this league if they gave a shit.  Oso, Selvania, Cuello, Rutty mid combo cant be worse than they were last year.  They land the french FB, mb that helps stabilize the back line.  The "throw spaghetti at the wall" approach to striker might work, one of those guys has to be able to pick up the italian leftovers eh??  I think the addition by subtraction philosophy might work...shit can some of the trouble makers, get a Herdman motivational bump on the rest... it could work. 

What bothers me in this is the first time in a long time we arent getting hype on the academy kids...usually I am whining about all these great prospects coming up and not getting minutes.  Is there anyone other than Stefanovic knocking on the door from within the organization??  

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What bothers me in this is the first time in a long time we arent getting hype on the academy kids...

And it's probably a good thing.  Less hype, more grounded feet.  Let the kids actions speak, not the PR dept.

22 minutes ago, costarg said:

And it's probably a good thing.  Less hype, more grounded feet.  Let the kids actions speak, not the PR dept.

Well not Manning or front office BS, but usually the TFC guys on here are hyped on someone.  Is there anyone, help at any position? 

Call me crazy. Why not move Sean Johnson and ride or die with Gavran (team is shit anyway). Probably the only legit piece they can move for anything decent. 

Buyout one of the worst contracts in history (Diomande). Petretta was also on an insane contract if memory serves. 

Whatever those two moves net you, use it on young hungry players. 

Imagine Herdman will have a long leash because to unfuck this roster will take some time. Trick it’s no expensive stop gaps that just add more problems. 

2 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Call me crazy. Why not move Sean Johnson and ride or die with Gavran (team is shit anyway). Probably the only legit piece they can move for anything decent. 

Buyout one of the worst contracts in history (Diomande). Petretta was also on an insane contract if memory serves. 

Whatever those two moves net you, use it on young hungry players. 

Imagine Herdman will have a long leash because to unfuck this roster will take some time. Trick it’s no expensive stop gaps that just add more problems. 

Ya I agree move Johnson , I mean as good as he is he is not going to make that much of a difference when you are playing behind the center backs they had last season and still have. You move him and you might be able to get yourself at least one or maybe two decent caliber MLS Center backs they so desperately need. Go with Gavran the kid has loads of potential. 

20 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

17 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Ya I agree move Johnson , I mean as good as he is he is not going to make that much of a difference when you are playing behind the center backs they had last season and still have. You move him and you might be able to get yourself at least one or maybe two decent caliber MLS Center backs they so desperately need. Go with Gavran the kid has loads of potential. 

I disagree.  Johnson is the reason why goalkeeper is the one position the club does not have to worry about and his contract is not unreasonable for a high value keeper in this league.  The rebuild has to start somewhere and I don't you should be throwing out your good assets over the bad ones thinking that they can easily be replaced later on. 

I appreciate the backline argument but the club has to start winning a few more games as well and we saw last year how subpar keeping ruined matches (and with Bono in previous years).  I'm guessing all that TAM/GAM they collected over the years has dried up because of some of these awful contracts, and it seems that Toronto is just going to have to wait out these contracts before they can bring in players of significance.

36 minutes ago, Metro said:

I disagree.  Johnson is the reason why goalkeeper is the one position the club does not have to worry about and his contract is not unreasonable for a high value keeper in this league.  The rebuild has to start somewhere and I don't you should be throwing out your good assets over the bad ones thinking that they can easily be replaced later on. 

I appreciate the backline argument but the club has to start winning a few more games as well and we saw last year how subpar keeping ruined matches (and with Bono in previous years).  I'm guessing all that TAM/GAM they collected over the years has dried up because of some of these awful contracts, and it seems that Toronto is just going to have to wait out these contracts before they can bring in players of significance.

Yes.  We have about half our starting spots covered by guys who belong as starters in MLS, including keeper.  Let's do what we can about the remaining spots rather than trading away the decent players we do have.

In fact, I'd be delighted in the opening day assessment of TFC was, "They have a legitimate starting eleven but no depth.  Let's hope no one gets injured."

Edited by Kingston

On 1/17/2024 at 12:17 PM, Bison44 said:

What bothers me in this is the first time in a long time we arent getting hype on the academy kids...usually I am whining about all these great prospects coming up and not getting minutes.  Is there anyone other than Stefanovic knocking on the door from within the organization??  

No completely new faces that I know of.

In terms of young guys from TFC's system, I'm keeping an eye on Kobi Franklin (20 years old), Kosi Thompson (20), and JMR (still just 19).

13 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Akinola looking pretty lean in this pic! I hope his shape results in a better product on the field.

I doubt it. That ACL injury has permanently affected the explosiveness that he had 3 years ago. Ayo also said last season that he was going to prove his doubters wrong. He didn’t do shit with 0 goals all season. Herdman alluded that the #9 position will be an audition just like last year with Bob Bradley. Essentially, the same 6 strikers will be auditioning for the role. This will be Deja vu all over again.

5 hours ago, anthony7 said:

I doubt it. That ACL injury has permanently affected the explosiveness that he had 3 years ago. Ayo also said last season that he was going to prove his doubters wrong. He didn’t do shit with 0 goals all season. Herdman alluded that the #9 position will be an audition just like last year with Bob Bradley. Essentially, the same 6 strikers will be auditioning for the role. This will be Deja vu all over again.

His problem last year was finishing.  Many times he got into a good position, even a near break away, and then wasted the chance.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The new streaming service showed games at a time I pretty much always couldn't watch so I wasn't paying all that much attention.

You should be thankful you didn't have to sit through that!

Team looking absolutely dismal. Now we will see just how talented Herdman is.  He pulled a power play to take over the most talented men’s team we have ever had but this group is lacking in so many ways.  If Herdman can get a playoff spot with this squad he is truly deserving of every accolade ever thrown at him. Think it’s gonna be a tire fire but maybe the gaffer can pull a rabbit out of a hat and maybe he is outstanding in his field.  Here’s hoping.

37 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Team looking absolutely dismal. Now we will see just how talented Herdman is.  He pulled a power play to take over the most talented men’s team we have ever had but this group is lacking in so many ways.  If Herdman can get a playoff spot with this squad he is truly deserving of every accolade ever thrown at him. Think it’s gonna be a tire fire but maybe the gaffer can pull a rabbit out of a hat and maybe he is outstanding in his field.  Here’s hoping.

You are seriously saying that if Herdman can make the playoffs with Insigne and Bernardeschi, he deserves innumerable accolades?

Yes. The team last year had Laryea, Hedges, Bradley (slow but technically better than most of their players) and basically have replaced none of them, minus the 1 Honduran.
We saw what the 2 Italians can do last year playing with those guys.  

If Herdman can get the existing group of players to the playoffs I will forever believe in Herdman.  He won me over in the qualifying but it soured with the conclusion to his time with the CMNT.  Resurrecting this sad sack group to make the playoffs would be monumental.

The team shouldnt have been as sad sack as it played.  Bradley squared and all the turmoil with the italians etc, took what should have been a mid table team and pushed it out of the playoffs, then a lot of injuries and giving up on interm Dunfield sunk them the rest of the way.  You still have an all star keeper and 2 attackers who should be top of the league.  The bones of a decent team are there, turn the attitude around and shit can some more bad apples and contracts, it'll ne a net positive.    

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are seriously saying that if Herdman can make the playoffs with Insigne and Bernardeschi, he deserves innumerable accolades?

I think that CL is saying if Herdman can get TFC into the playoffs with its presently porous defence and inconsistent midfield, and the Italians get some support behind them, then he deserves accolades even if they are not innumerable.

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I think that CL is saying if Herdman can get TFC into the playoffs with its presently porous defence and inconsistent midfield, and the Italians get some support behind them, then he deserves accolades even if they are not innumerable.

I don't think the roster is as bad as insinuated, that is all. Defense is a team task, setting up a bit more conservatively, building from the back and not getting exposed, I'm not a coach, but you should be able to keep the ball out of yours enough to get a chance to win it with the attack. To make playoffs, usually an even record is enough, win 12 games.

The roster wasn’t that bad at the start of last year. They tied a bunch of games they could have won, the room soured and we were left with a tire fire.
They lost a couple MLS best 11 and did little or nothing to replace them. Yes Herdman deserves a ton of credit if he can get this dysfunctional group anywhere near the playoffs.  

On 1/19/2024 at 4:53 PM, Club Linesman said:

No offence, but you should look around the MLS to have a look at some of the other rosters.  I feel you're comparing this roster to previous TFC rosters, not the rest of the league.