Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

29 minutes ago, Kingston said:

A loss to Columbus.  We remain at +14 on the year.

A loss is never good but this was a game that was always going to be a stretch to win so I wasn't penciling in any points in our quest to clinch a playoff spot.  Happily, the teams chasing us largely failed to take advantage so we all more or less just moved one game closer to the end of the season without changing up the standings much.

Up next we pay a visit to Colorado on Saturday before heading to Vancouver for the Canadian Championship final on Wednesday.

Different game if Berna and Insigne actually converted their chances. Pretty unclutch as per usual

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

A loss to Columbus.  We remain at +14 on the year.

A loss is never good but this was a game that was always going to be a stretch to win so I wasn't penciling in any points in our quest to clinch a playoff spot.  Happily, the teams chasing us largely failed to take advantage so we all more or less just moved one game closer to the end of the season without changing up the standings much.

Up next we pay a visit to Colorado on Saturday before heading to Vancouver for the Canadian Championship final on Wednesday.

what youre missing is that everyone behind except chicago has 1-2 games in hand which is huge with 4-6 games left

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

what youre missing is that everyone behind except chicago has 1-2 games in hand which is huge with 4-6 games left

Here are the non-playoff teams with points and games left (TFC is at 36 points with 4 games left):

DC  33 points, 5 games left

Atlanta 32, 5

Nashville 32, 5

Montreal 31, 5

Chicago 29, 4

New England 28, 6

With the exception of DC, all of these teams need to about 1 ppg just to catch TFC's current level of points.  All of these teams have averaged about 1 ppg for the entire season (1.14 to 0.97). 

Except TFC has also averaged something similar (1.2).   So TFC projects to gain about 5 points the rest of the season - which is about the same as these other teams.  

Taken together, this means that these teams generally need to earn about 2 ppg to catch TFC.  In other words, they need to suddenly perform for their last few games at about double the pace that they have for the past 30 games.

This is not impossible; it's a small number of games and a team could get hot.  DC is especially close.  But there's also no reason to think these other teams are going to suddenly double their output (any more than to think that TFC will and finish much higher up the standings than they are now).

11 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Here are the non-playoff teams with points and games left (TFC is at 36 points with 4 games left):

DC  33 points, 5 games left

Atlanta 32, 5

Nashville 32, 5

Montreal 31, 5

Chicago 29, 4

New England 28, 6

With the exception of DC, all of these teams need to about 1 ppg just to catch TFC's current level of points.  All of these teams have averaged about 1 ppg for the entire season (1.14 to 0.97). 

Except TFC has also averaged something similar (1.2).   So TFC projects to gain about 5 points the rest of the season - which is about the same as these other teams.  

Taken together, this means that these teams generally need to earn about 2 ppg to catch TFC.  In other words, they need to suddenly perform for their last few games at about double the pace that they have for the past 30 games.

This is not impossible; it's a small number of games and a team could get hot.  DC is especially close.  But there's also no reason to think these other teams are going to suddenly double their output (any more than to think that TFC will and finish much higher up the standings than they are now).

you predicted that tfc will finish with 38-39 points so dc atlanta nashville montreal would need 6-9 points in their last 5 games to beat that

15 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Here is an interview that Jason Hernandez gave explaining TFC's salary issues for this year and next.  What blew my mind was the $500,000 payment to pay for Kemar Lawrence's transfer fee.  

I didn't realize so few of the contracts are actually done at the end of this season, unless this isn't an exhaustive list:

"The contracts of goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh ($94,200), defenders Kevin Long ($277,500), Shane O’Neill ($413,000) and Kobe Franklin ($100,520), midfielder Alonso Coello ($94,050) and Brandon Servania ($602,710), and forward Prince Owusu ($807,500) — all on the club’s senior roster — expire at the end of 2024 with club options to follow."

I have to think O'Neill and Servania will be let go.  That's $1 million.  Probably Owusu and Coello which would bring it to $1.9 million.  

I don't know how they feel about Long.  Franklin is still young and is a regular sub.  As a third keeper Ranjitsingh doesn't really matter because, if it isn't him, it will be someone else at the same money.

So something between $1 and $2 million to reallocate.

7 minutes ago, Big_M said:

you predicted that tfc will finish with 38-39 points so dc atlanta nashville montreal would need 6-9 points in their last 5 games to beat that

Correct.  So DC could do that while staying in character but whoever needs nine points would really have to up their game.

Of course, TFC now project to be more like 41 points but, again, we're into a small number of games where a streak or a particularly easy/difficult schedule start to matter.

It will be close either way.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It's entirely possible TFC gets zero points the rest of the way.

Maybe they beat NYRB at home.

And maybe Inter Miami have clinched and don't care. 

But it doesn't look too good, even though they are currently ahead.

Season is essentially over. Injuries piling up with 3 games in 10 days to define the season. Brian White just came off the bench yesterday to rescue a point against Houston. Gauld, White & Armstrong will all be available on their Home Turf next Wednesday to kill off any chance of TFC winning the Can Champ. 

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

I didn't realize so few of the contracts are actually done at the end of this season, unless this isn't an exhaustive list:

"The contracts of goalkeeper Greg Ranjitsingh ($94,200), defenders Kevin Long ($277,500), Shane O’Neill ($413,000) and Kobe Franklin ($100,520), midfielder Alonso Coello ($94,050) and Brandon Servania ($602,710), and forward Prince Owusu ($807,500) — all on the club’s senior roster — expire at the end of 2024 with club options to follow."

I have to think O'Neill and Servania will be let go.  That's $1 million.  Probably Owusu and Coello which would bring it to $1.9 million.  

I don't know how they feel about Long.  Franklin is still young and is a regular sub.  As a third keeper Ranjitsingh doesn't really matter because, if it isn't him, it will be someone else at the same money.

So something between $1 and $2 million to reallocate.

Greg Rangitsingh makes great money by doing nothing. Like did you see this guys fashion at the Austin game? He also has a wife and a kid. I’m completely jealous. What a way to steal a living.

Edited by anthony7

IEEEEE, sour grapes much.  I think the minimum salary for a vet is 85k, so Ranjitsingh signing for 94 is nothing, every 3rd keeper in the league will be getting at least that, unless they are a teenage academy kid. If you can make a pro roster, you get paid, no stealing involved.   Now if we are talking about Insigne......thats another matter.  

As far as everyone else, Long and Oniell are ok (Long is actually cheap for a starting CB), Franklin and Coello are dirt cheap for what you get out of them.  Servania and Owusu are the 2 that are candidates to drop.  If you bring in a big time striker for next season do you need to put up with Owusu's erratic performances? Get that 800k back and spend it wisely this time. 

If they play out Col-L, CHi-W, NY-T, MIAMI-L, that still leaves them with 40pts, not safe but should damn near be enough to get one of those 2 wildcard spots.