Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, YorkRegionFan said:

After the JMR news, I wonder if there will be more news trickling in about other moves that they managed to sneak in under the deadline.

Could be but, again, I hope they don't unless it is part of a long term plan.

a while back I thought this could happen...we just had too many wing backs even before the arrival of wingo...well wishes to rutty...montreal looks to have operated well in this window as they loaned out four players in need of playing time + traded toye who had a big contract and was injured most of the time and brought four players in positions of need

we're getting 450k gam immediately so might still be looking around for a free agent forward

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Maybe TFC could have worked out a GM swap with Montreal.  Throw in some GAM to sweeten the deal.  

Isn't their previous GM available lol?

I don't think Hernandez has covered himself in glory so far.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Big_M said:

very weak player at mls level...think this was one of the first hernandez signings

This was an example of a terrible move made just so the powers that be could say they were doing something.  This is exactly what we need to avoid now as the team has the chance to dump bad contracts and truly rebuild. 

The Athletic | Football on X

An independent investigation is reviewing the drone spying scandal that rocked Canadian football at the olympics. When did it start and how was it allowed to happen?

Earlier in July, a drone was spotted above a Forge FC training session before a training session before a Canadian Championship game.

--

Edited by QBCS

A road win is always nice.

We are now at 33 points on the season.  Last year game 27 was the one game we actually won in the second half of the season when we beat Philly.  We are at +11 on the season.  Any addition points from here on out will necessarily increase our total over last year.

Up next in league play we host DC on Saturday.  This is a winnable game although, unfortunately, both Osorio and Bernardeschi will miss the game due to yellow card accumulation.

First, though, we host Forge in the return leg of the Canadian Championship semi-final.  After losing 2-1 in Hamilton back in July, we will need s stronger performance at home.  Technically a 1-0 win would be enough, but I'd really prefer to see a win by a sizeable margin with no late game tension.

Even just looking at our last two matches against Houston and Forge, it's pretty clear that this off season must involve bringing in a striker who can finish.  No one is going to score 100% of their chances, but last night TFC should have scored three or four and put the game away instead of teetering one Forge goal from elimination.  It wasn't failure to generate chances but rather failure to convert.

Edited by Kingston

^^^has to maintain his narrative no matter what. If you want to push the concept that MLS Next Pro is a low quality reserve league, it's frankly astonishing that one of the traditionally strong Central American nations would be calling up a player from there. Worth noting Jesus Batiz is an American citizen so it isn't an issue with taking up an international player slot to keeps him off the main roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesús_Batiz

Also worth noting that the decline of Honduras in recent times includes only being knocked out on penalties by Mexico over two legs in the Nations League quarter finals towards the end of last year. 

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^has to maintain his narrative no matter what. If you want to push the concept that MLS Next Pro is a low quality reserve league, it's frankly astonishing that one of the traditionally strong Central American nations would be calling up a player from there. Worth noting Jesus Batiz is an American citizen so it isn't an issue with taking up an international player slot to keeps him off the main roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesús_Batiz

Also worth noting that the decline of Honduras in recent times includes only being knocked out on penalties by Mexico over two legs in the Nations League quarter finals towards the end of last year. 

Dude I was making fun of Honduras. Not trying to throw any shade on Next Pro

You are the loser that trying to make a bigger deal about my post

I am finding it really hard to be anywhere near as invested as I have been for the previous decade.  I have only attended 2 games in the past 2 years and miss more on tv than I used to when my watch rate was about 90%.

After watching tonight’s tire fire collapse I am not sure how much more of this I want to take. I know it will take awhile to get rid of the Manning stink but they are pathetic.