Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

It is good to give playing time to young Canadians.  Unfortunately, Kobe Franklin and to a lesser extent JMR, have not really stepped up and seize the opportunity at RB.  

I think it speaks to the deeper issue of the poor development program at the TFC Academy.  They are identifying the gifted athletes, but not the athletes with the football IQ.

JMR didn't seize the opportunity under Bradley as a right-back any more than Shaffelburg did at LB. I'm not sure that the fault is really with the players though given their suitability and strengths further up the field.

As for Franklin, I think the reverse is true - I think he has good football IQ, but has limitations in terms of offensive skill and is not necessarily the most gifted athlete given that he doesn't have blazing speed to compensate for his diminutive size.

7 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

As for Franklin, I think the reverse is true - I think he has good football IQ, but has limitations in terms of offensive skill and is not necessarily the most gifted athlete given that he doesn't have blazing speed to compensate for his diminutive size.

He looks to read an attacking situation well and then gets himself in a good position to have a chance or move the ball with the right passing decision at the right time (I suppose that's the IQ part).  But his defensive play gets undermined by ball watching or allowing an opponent too much space to make a play.  I know that right now many posters seem to be on the "every young Canadian is a late bloomer" bandwagon but I am not sure how much more ceiling Franklin has.

That there are a lot of poor (and absent) supporting cast players on TFC but he can't get starts under Herdman is telling.

Edited by BearcatSA

A (not unexpected) loss to Miami.  Game 25 was also a loss last year so we remain at +8 on the season.

Saturday is an away game at Montreal.  This is a game we simply need to win.  Not only is it Montreal, but the two teams are tied in the standings for the last playoff spot.  We should have something very close to our preferred roster.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

Saturday is an away game at Montreal.  This is a game we simply need to win.  Not only is it Montreal, but the two teams are tied in the standings for the last playoff spot.

Should be a high scoring affair given how the two teams are built.

This guy is rated like Rosted. Guessing unless EA is completely clueless that he won’t be the answer in the back line. Seriously why sign someone of the same caliber as Rosted who doesn’t help the squad?!  No striker and no one to play off the Italians.  Hopefully they are not done. They bossed Miami for the first half before the wheels fell off and if there were 2-3 quality additions they could make the playoffs.  At this rate they are doomed.

A workmanlike but necessary win against Montreal.  Game 26 last season was a loss so we are now at +11 on the year.

I'm very happy to see the win.  Doubly happy because it was against Montreal.  This also makes things interesting in judging the team's form.  Over the last ten games or so, we still look quite bad.  Over the last three games, however, we have two wins (against weaker opponents) and a loss (against the top team in the league).  It will take another couple of games to tell, but I'm optimistic that we're getting back on track - still only a mid-table type team, but not destined to finish out this year like we did last year.

Up next in league play we eventually travel to Houston.  First, though, we have at least two Leagues Cup matches.  We play away to NYRB on Saturday and then host the Mexican side Pachuca the following Sunday.  Personally, I don't think much of the Leagues Cup but they didn't consult me when they put it in place.

Posted (edited)

Lets look at acquisitions of our last 8 opponents in the league by order of when we'll face them

Houston

Ezequiel Ponce-Argentine and Spanish forward who comes in as a DP on a club record transfer fee...played in a bunch of countries in Europe and in 23-24 got 15 goals in the Greek league with AEK Athens and played in Europa League

Lawrence Ennali-German winger who got 5 goals 2 assists in the Polish league in 23-24...signed as U22 initiative

DC United

David Schnegg-Austrian left back who was a starter in their top tier in 23-24 and played in Europa League Conference League and Champions League Qualifying

Dominique Badji-MLS journeyman who last played in the second tier of Turkey

Boris Enow-CM who was a starter in Israel

Austin

Osman Bukari-Ghanaian and Serbian winger who comes from Red Star Belgrade after getting 7 goals 5 assists...also played in the top tiers of France Belgium Slovakia

Oleksandr Svatok-Ukrainian CB who was a starter in their top tier...played one game at Euro 24

Mikkel Desler-Danish RB who was a starter for Toulouse in Ligue 1 and played Europa League

Columbus

Aziel Jackson-Midfielder they got in a trade with St Louis...scored the winner against us last year at BMO

Dylan Chambost-Attacking midfielder who was a starter in the second tier of France and got 6 goals 6 assists...his team St Etienne got bought by Kilmer Sports (Tanenbaum)

Colorado

Rafael Navarro-Forward who was on loan at the Rapids until June and they decided to permanently acquire him fro Palmeiras after he got 11 goals 1 assist this year...will continue to occupy a DP spot

Chicago Fire

Justin Reynolds-The Fire homegrown returns after making one appearance on loan at sister club Lugano...just made his first career MLS appearance this past weekend

Red Bulls

Nothing-They lost Amaya but they'll make players for yet another year and they're the only team in the league that still hasnt lost at home but we will be hosting them

Inter Miami

Nothing-Looks like theyre about to sell Diego Gomez but theyll have at least 1-2 latinos coming

So the next 4-5 teams we are facing have made strong acquisitions which will make it very difficult for us to win those games...and we finish the schedule with Red Bulls and Miami which will be extremely difficult with the quality they have...we need to find 4 wins and 1-2 draws to get in the playoffs...the good thing is 5 of the remaining 8 are at home

Edited by Big_M

1 hour ago, YorkRegionFan said:

The RPB forum is saying that TFC is close to getting signing a U22 Belgian player,  Pierre Dwomoh

Interesting.  Not sure midfield is where the team needs to be focused right now given salary cap limitations.

Edited by Kingston

On 7/22/2024 at 7:02 PM, Big_M said:

Lets look at acquisitions of our last 8 opponents in the league by order of when we'll face them

Houston

Ezequiel Ponce-Argentine and Spanish forward who comes in as a DP on a club record transfer fee...played in a bunch of countries in Europe and in 23-24 got 15 goals in the Greek league with AEK Athens and played in Europa League

Lawrence Ennali-German winger who got 5 goals 2 assists in the Polish league in 23-24...signed as U22 initiative

DC United

David Schnegg-Austrian left back who was a starter in their top tier in 23-24 and played in Europa League Conference League and Champions League Qualifying

Dominique Badji-MLS journeyman who last played in the second tier of Turkey

Boris Enow-CM who was a starter in Israel

Austin

Ousman Bukari-Ghanaian and Serbian winger who comes from Red Star Belgrade after getting 7 goals 5 assists...also played in the top tiers of France Belgium Slovakia

Oleksandr Svatok-Ukrainian CB who was a starter in their top tier...played one game at Euro 24

Mikkel Desler-Danish RB who was a starter for Toulouse in Ligue 1 and played Europa League

Columbus

Aziel Jackson-Midfielder they got in a trade with St Louis...scored the winner against us last year at BMO

Dylan Chambost-Attacking midfielder who was a starter in the second tier of France and got 6 goals 6 assists...his team St Etienne got bought by Kilmer Sports (Tanenbaum)

Colorado

Rafael Navarro-Forward who was on loan at the Rapids until June and they decided to permanently acquire him fro Palmeiras after he got 11 goals 1 assist this year...will continue to occupy a DP spot

Chicago Fire

Justin Reynolds-The Fire homegrown returns after making one appearance on loan at sister club Lugano...just made his first career MLS appearance this past weekend

Red Bulls

Nothing-They lost Amaya but they'll make players for yet another year and they're the only team in the league that still hasnt lost at home but we will be hosting them

Inter Miami

Nothing-Looks like theyre about to sell Diego Gomez but theyll have at least 1-2 latinos coming

So the next 4-5 teams we are facing have made strong acquisitions which will make it very difficult for us to win those games...and we finish the schedule with Red Bulls and Miami which will be extremely difficult with the quality they have...we need to find 4 wins and 1-2 draws to get in the playoffs...the good thing is 5 of the remaining 8 are at home

Playoffs are not happening.

Edited by anthony7

On 7/22/2024 at 7:02 PM, Big_M said:

Red Bulls

Inter Miami

3 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Playoffs are not happening.

the two teams which had not recruited when I posted that now have brought on a cb/cm from europe and south america

miami gets cb david martinez on loan from river plate in argentina

Inter Miami acquire River Plate center back David Martínez

red bulls getting cm/cb who last played in the second tier of france...also played in england turkey russia and germany under schwarz

which will make it even harder to beat them and get the required points to get in the playoffs

4 hours ago, Big_M said:

the two teams which had not recruited when I posted that now have brought on a cb/cm from europe and south america

miami gets cb david martinez on loan from river plate in argentina

Inter Miami acquire River Plate center back David Martínez

red bulls getting cm/cb who last played in the second tier of france...also played in england turkey russia and germany under schwarz

which will make it even harder to beat them and get the required points to get in the playoffs

It depends on which teams you think we might pick up points from to get into the playoffs.  For example, it probably doesn’t matter whether Columbus or Miami make roster changes, because we are unlikely to get points off them regardless.  Changes at DC or Chicago are more important, depending how quickly they can integrate them into their teams.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

It depends on which teams you think we might pick up points from to get into the playoffs.  For example, it probably doesn’t matter whether Columbus or Miami make roster changes, because we are unlikely to get points off them regardless.  Changes at DC or Chicago are more important, depending how quickly they can integrate them into their teams.

so youre predicting losses vs columbus and miami...what about houston who just got a dp forward and u22 initiative winger,dc who got two who were starting in europe,austin who got three europeans including one dp forward and two defenders,colorado who is doing well and permanently signed their dp forward,red bulls who are getting this probable dp cm/cb? what is your prediction for these games??

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

so youre predicting losses vs columbus and miami...what about houston who just got a dp forward and u22 initiative winger,dc who got two who were starting in europe,austin who got three europeans including one dp forward and two defenders,colorado who is doing well and permanently signed their dp forward,red bulls who are getting this probable dp cm/cb? what is your prediction for these games??

Predicting individual games is always dicey, otherwise we'd all be rich on sports betting, but I'm thinking something like:

Houston (away) - loss

DC - win

Austin - draw

Columbus - loss

Colorado (away) - draw

Chicago (away) - win

NYRB - loss or maybe a draw

Miami - loss

I'm also almost certain these won't all be right and some will be wrong in surprising ways.

Edited by Kingston

6 hours ago, Kingston said:

Predicting individual games is always dicey, otherwise we'd all be rich on sports betting, but I'm thinking something like:

Houston (away) - loss

DC - win

Austin - draw

Columbus - loss

Colorado (away) - draw

Chicago (away) - win

NYRB - loss or maybe a draw

Miami - loss

I'm also almost certain these won't all be right and some will be wrong in surprising ways.

so you predict the team will end with 38 or 39 points which would not be enough to make playoffs

wingo wont travel as herdman wants him to stay in toronto and do a couple extra days of hard training to be ready for pachuca...kerr doubtful with foot issue

kerr with his chronic foot issues should go to a team/league where there are no or very little trainings and games on synthetic and hybrid surfaces