Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Nice to see the young Canadian offensive talent helping to turn the game and hopefully the season around. Especially Kerr stepping up as Owusu continues to struggle. The winning goal he scored is the sort of strike that we never see from Owusu - he is half decent at knocking or flicking the ball in, but can’t shoot it past a keeper to save his life. Together they both have gaps in their game, and almost the opposite gaps at that

Also nice to see Insigne reward Kerr for scoring by slapping him in the face 😉

Finally, a win in the “must win derby”.   That’s got to hurt for Philly but they aren’t my team. 

Good to see not only the win but also the come from behind.  The difference between this year’s team and last year’s is that this team is still going.  Last year’s would have folded after Philly’s goal, especially as it came against the run of play.  And now we get Osorio and Laryea back, too. 

Good to see Kerr play like that.  He deserves, and will hopefully get, more time and some starts. 

Game 24 last year was a loss so we’re now at +8 on the season.  Up next is a trip to Florida to visit Miami  

Edited by Kingston

8 hours ago, Kingston said:

Finally, a win in the “must win derby”.   That’s got to hurt for Philly but they aren’t my team. 

Good to see not only the win but also the come from behind.  The difference between this year’s team and last year’s is that this team is still going.  Last year’s would have folded after Philly’s goal, especially as it came against the run of play.  And now we get Osorio and Laryea back, too. 

Good to see Kerr play like that.  He deserves, and will hopefully get, more time and some starts. 

Game 24 last year was a loss so we’re now at +8 on the season.  Up next is a trip to Florida to visit Miami  

Going up against Messi, Suarez, Alba, and company in Miami in an away fixture...I can't wait

15 hours ago, Kingston said:

Its easy to get dissapointed but +8 on last season......thats not too bad.  We get Oso and Lareya back, mb a new signing or two for some depth, stiffen the attitude of some of the guys, whoila...make the playoffs!  

I didnt catch the game (so much better soccer on these days) but it looked like JMR was playing ok, swinging in crosses.  Or was it just the highlights? 

38 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Its easy to get dissapointed but +8 on last season......thats not too bad.  We get Oso and Lareya back, mb a new signing or two for some depth, stiffen the attitude of some of the guys, whoila...make the playoffs!  

I didnt catch the game (so much better soccer on these days) but it looked like JMR was playing ok, swinging in crosses.  Or was it just the highlights? 

I watched a sizeable portion of the game (with some switching over to Canada later on).  Overall, JMR had a solid game.  He did have a couple of defensive giveaways that, happily, didn't ultimately cause any problems.  Mainly, though, he plagued Philly's defense on the wing and, yes, he did have a number of great crosses into the box.

I'm expecting more than just some depth signings - I'll be very disappointed if there isn't a starting defender (or even two) signed this window.

Just now, Kingston said:

I'm expecting more than just some depth signings - I'll be very disappointed if there isn't a starting defender (or even two) signed this window.

HEHE, I expected the italians to be motivated and pass to their team mates.....we all make mistakes.

I just dont see how they can bring in anyone big, considering they are constantly whining about cap space.  A solid cb that can stay healthy and is a  Oniell +10%, would do wonders.  No more maliba...ever!!!

7 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I watched a sizeable portion of the game (with some switching over to Canada later on).  Overall, JMR had a solid game.  He did have a couple of defensive giveaways that, happily, didn't ultimately cause any problems.  Mainly, though, he plagued Philly's defense on the wing and, yes, he did have a number of great crosses into the box.

Last week it read like a deal for a defender was already done

They have seven players missing or six if we remove the player on season ending injury list but the scary thing is theyll still have a strong lineup and bench...we should only be missing three players...they havent lost two in a row in the league this year now is a good time to change that

johnson
rosted long petretta
bernardeschi longstaff flores rutty
osorio insigne
owusu

bench gavran gomis mabika o'neill laryea franklin thompson etienne kerr

taylor campana rojas
gressel redondo bright
negri aviles kryvtsov fray
callender

bench dos santos alba saylor allen ruiz sunderland afonso borgelin suarez

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I just dont see how they can bring in anyone big, considering they are constantly whining about cap space.  A solid cb that can stay healthy and is a  Oniell +10%, would do wonders.  No more maliba...ever!!!

They don't need anyone big, just someone reliable.  I'd think there are plenty of guys who could do the job for, say, $400 k.

41 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HEHE, Oniell makes 413k, hes depth, 400k wont get you anything more than that and you said you expected more than just depth signings. 

I'm saying the team should be able to find a solid, starting defender for something like $400 k.  I realize there are many defenders who make more.  Insigne makes $15 million (or whatever it is) but could be replaced with someone providing equal production for far less.

Edited by Kingston