Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, to70 said:

Ironic that Herdman was out-coached by a former Toronto Lynx player last night.

Herdman getting out-coached was predictable, I was just hoping for a turnaround on morale and effort side of things.  

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Losses are one thing, lack of effort, throwing in the towel and letting guys walk right into the box and blast it by your young keeper...eeeshhhh.  Wheres the pride, where is the effort?  Who was the captain there...where was the leadership on the field??  The sad thing is that most of the team just quit on Dunfield last year and it was a huge nosedive to the bottom of the league. Games like that one make me wonder if its happening again.  The GLOW from a new coach has worn off quickly, now Herdman has to prove he can actually motivate people.  As my grampa always told me, "everyones your friend when its going good", When the real leaders on the team are gone (Oso/Lareya) whos going to step up and get the dirty jobs done? 

I think I'm watching too many footy podcasts. I read this whole post in the voice of Roy Keane and it sounded even better.

And this is why it is sometimes so frustrating to be a sports fan.

Complete domination in the first half but only one goal.  It should have been three and could have been five. Then two brief lapses in the second half for a loss.  

Bernardeschi:  I totally appreciate his effort and play.  Also, he should never be taking our penalties.

I guess the only plus side is that the team made mistakes, as opposed to giving up.  (And, of course, the knowledge that we never would have lost if our hero and captain, Jonathan Osorio, had been available for the game.)

Last year's game nineteen was also a loss so we remain at +5 on the season.

2 damn losses in a row but last night's loss was just so frustrating because we had that game against Nashville...and that Berna penalty miss like 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡 why sprint from so far? You are going to slip every time if you do that but how? Like why put power?

4 hours ago, to70 said:

Ironic that Herdman was out-coached by a former Toronto Lynx player last night.

I wonder what he is thinking right now about how his former team prepares to face Argentina this evening?

3 hours ago, nolando said:

I think I'm watching too many footy podcasts. I read this whole post in the voice of Roy Keane and it sounded even better.

Oh Geez, well I am old enough and crusty enough, but Keane can be a real ass most of the time.  

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Herdman getting out-coached was predictable, I was just hoping for a turnaround on morale and effort side of things.  

Herdman, I find, is more than happy to take credit when his team is having success.  Then, completely sewers his players when they lose or don't meet expectations.

22 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Herdman, I find, is more than happy to take credit when his team is having success.  Then, completely sewers his players when they lose or don't meet expectations.

And the office, and the opponents.....

I hope he turns it around and finds his groove, but I feel his skillset might fit better with national teams than clubs.  The breaks and time in between probably work in his favor.  I would love to be wrong on this one.

On 6/20/2024 at 10:58 AM, costarg said:

And the office, and the opponents.....

I hope he turns it around and finds his groove, but I feel his skillset might fit better with national teams than clubs.  The breaks and time in between probably work in his favor.  I would love to be wrong on this one.

I wonder what he was thinking following his club's crap effort on Wednesday as he watched his former team's lead up to the Copa opener vs Argentina yesterday?

The defensive play has been mind boggling poor, a point driveñ home like a stake into sand vs Nashville, and not just one guy.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 6/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, Ivan said:

The defensive awareness is just lacking and it permeates a whole bunch of players right now, not just one or two.  That's down to coaching.

Herdman's signings are looking worse with each match. Poor giveaways by Long, Longstaff and Long-Flores again the whole night. You can't have Matty Longstaff as the key man trying to generate offence in the centre of the park. Also time to give JMR a start ahead of Derek Etienne Jr. who has surprised me this season with how terrified he is to shoot the ball at the net.

I did not get to watch any of this game, just saw the score.  Not good.  I'm not entirely sure why the team is suddenly playing so badly - because it hasn't been a series of close losses or anything like that; it has been big losses against teams that we shouldn't be losing badly to.

Last year's game twenty was also a loss so we remain at +5 on the season.

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

I did not get to watch any of this game, just saw the score.  Not good.  I'm not entirely sure why the team is suddenly playing so badly - because it hasn't been a series of close losses or anything like that; it has been big losses against teams that we shouldn't be losing badly to.

Last year's game twenty was also a loss so we remain at +5 on the season.

You know, deep down you know....the 2 guys who give a rats ass are not there.  The guys that can play better are sleep walking.  Long hasnt meshed with the 2 FB signed last year.  The midfield has no bite, they arent taking their defensive duties seriously.  Gavran is trying his best to keep the team in it and you can see his frustration with everyone letting people walk into the box and take free shots. 

You still have the bones of a playoff team.  Herdman needs to show that he can do something...anything to motivate these guys (did you catch that buzz/catch phrase word salad he had after the last game?).  Lareya and Oso will be back eventually but it sure seems like the rot has set in yet again.