Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, nolando said:

Could half a season at York be just what is needed?

He wasn't that great at Wanderers last season.

York desperately need a striker though. 

I wonder if he ends up in USLC because at least he performed well there

Edited by narduch

14 minutes ago, narduch said:

He wasn't that great at Wanderers last season.

York desperately need a striker though. 

I wonder if he ends up in USLC because at least he performed well there

Needs games. That first uslc stint was good, but that second one seemed not as great, though I  can’t recall so maybe there was some good stuff too

I hope he can catch on in the CPL or elsewhere.  He's 23 years old so, although he's no longer a young prospect, he's young enough for someone to give him another opportunity.  At TFC, even with Akinola gone, he was pretty far down the depth chart at forward so, while I doubt he's happy, it may be for the best.

And now we go from one extreme to the other.  After the expected drubbing of an L1 opponent, we now welcome Cincinnati.  In addition to being frustratingly difficult to spell correctly, Cincy is the top ranked team in the league on a ppg basis.  The are coming in on a six game winning streak during which they have outscored their opponents 11-4.

Both teams now have relatively modest injury lists but Bernardeschi will be out due to yellow card accumulation.

Want to see if our recent upswing in performance is for real?  This is the game for you.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Flores will have WCQ with Honduras in early June.

I am surprised that they haven't picked up a d-mid MLS domestic as depth if they want to maintain that playoff positioning.

May 23, 2024 Result and details of the MLS NEXT Pro game between Toronto FC II and Carolina Core FC played at York Lions Stadium. Finally a home game that didn't go to a PK shootout.
http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports24/24tfc236.htm

Aside from the , that was a great game.  We didn't beat the best team in the league, but we  were certainly in it despite missing Bernardeschi.  If a loss can ever boost a team's confidence, this was it.

I don't normally comment on reffing because I think it tends to even out in the long run, but it is at least worth noting with disappointment that the Cincinnati player was permitting to mug Spicer which lead directly to their second goal.

Game fifteen last season was a win at home against DC to bring our points total to 16.  We are currently at +6 on the season.

I actually noticed that TFC's away game vs. Inter Miami is on the Wednesday following the Copa America.

I hope no one planned a trip to Florida for that game.

Doubt Messi plays in that too.

On 5/26/2024 at 11:29 AM, SoccMan said:

Didn’t like how Cinci basically walked through the TFC defence on their goals . Moreover, I’m sorry but Roasted needs to go the guy is a liability .

Especially at $750k per year and one of the highest paid players on the team.

And now we travel to Philadelphia (our second difficult to spell opponent in a row) for a Wednesday night tilt.

Philly are not doing well lately (winless in eight) and have a short but, as I understand it, important list of injured players.

This is one of the teams we have an all time winning record against with 14 wins against 11 losses and 7 draws.

Laryea is listed as questionable so it is possible he could make an appearance although I doubt he would start.

The game is on the road, which is always more difficult, but I'm hoping the players continue their intensity from Saturday's game against Cincinnati, add a Bernardeschi, and take out their frustration for the late loss on this Philadelphia side.