Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Up next we host NYCFC on Saturday.  This is the first of three league matches (away to Nashville, home to Montreal) against mid- to lower-table teams before Cincinnati comes to town.  In other words, we have the chance to make some more gains if we can keep up the good play.

NYCFC has owned TFC in the last three matches, outscoring us 10-1 including a 2-1 defeat earlier this year.  A win by TFC on Saturday would even the all time series at 10-9-10.

The MLS website does not show an injury list for New York ("to be updated").

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

Up next we host NYCFC on Saturday.  This is the first of three league matches (away to Nashville, home to Montreal) against mid- to lower-table teams before Cincinnati comes to town.  In other words, we have the chance to make some more gains if we can keep up the good play.

NYCFC has owned TFC in the last three matches, outscoring us 10-1 including a 2-1 defeat earlier this year.  A win by TFC on Saturday would even the all time series at 10-9-10.

The MLS website does not show an injury list for New York ("to be updated").

Hoping we win against New York 

A few hours before game time, the injury lists now look like this.  I don't know if those are significant players for New York but a certain Italian TFC player is no longer on the list.

NYCFC

OUT: Rio Hope-Gund (leg)

OUT: Maxi Moralez (knee)

TFC

OUT: Richie Laryea (thigh)

OUT: Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty (thigh)

OUT: Shane O’Neill (thigh)

OUT: Brandon Servania (knee)

That was a disappointing one to lose. The opportunities were certainly there for us to score more. Also, if Rosted could actually learn to cover his man, we might give out fewer goals.

Game twelve last year was also a loss (away to  Montreal that time) so we remain at +7 for the season. 

Posted (edited)

Was at the match.  Tough leaving with a loss but overall I was happy with the performance.  The time wasting was some of the worst I’ve ever seen in that 2nd half and the ref failed at a tracking it or minimizing it.  But overall, a good display for TFC that could have easily been a win or draw.  Not on Herdman at all but he brought in Insigne and Coello at the same time last night and within the first 60 seconds of being on, Insigne missed a great chance to score and then Coello had another terrible giveaway that lead to the 3rd NYFC goal.  How Coello continues to get minutes is beyond me.  He had a decent run last season but he’s been very poor this season.  

Edited by Corazon

Away to Nashville tomorrow for the short week.

Our injury list is starting to clear up although Bernardeschi won't be on the field with Insigne for a full game yet due to some ill-advised post match shenanigans last match.  Nashville has a bunch of injuries themselves including former TFC defender Lukas MacNaughton.

Nashville is doing poorly this season so this game has a reasonable chance for an away win.

The teams are 2-3-2 (W-D-L) against each other all time so tomorrow's winner will also earn bragging rights (at least until we meet up again in Toronto in June).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Apparently TFC got hit pretty hard on suspensions from last Saturday's melee.  Next year's TFC/NYCFC games will be must see games.

- Richie Laryea TFC, 3 games
- Prince Owusu TFC, 2
- Strahinja Tanasijević NYC, 2
- Sean Johnson TFC, 1
- John Herdman TFC, 1

How did Laryea get suspended when he wasn’t on the roster?

Edit:  I just checked the discipline report on the league's site.  It lists Long (yellow card accumulation), Bernardeschi (red card), and Owusu (violent conduct) all for one game.  

Edited by Kingston

Posted (edited)

Neil Davidson's article doesn't mention anything about the bizarre Laryea suspension, which Tom Bogert is doubling-down on Twitter as saying is happening. For the life of me I can't see Richie in any of the videos of the post-match brawl and if he's done something worse than chasing a player halfway across the field (Johnson) or being so threatening that two opposing players had to tackle him to the ground (Owusu), it's a bit surprising that nobody has seemed to notice it or that it was not caught on camera.

But more bad news - Davidson is reporting Osorio is out with a thigh injury:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mls/article/toronto-fc-missing-players-in-wake-of-ill-tempered-melee-after-new-york-city-fc-loss/

Edited by Gian-Luca

This is straight from the MLS website discipline report.  No mention of Layrea.

Notice of Suspension

As of May 14, 2024

Tomás Chancalay (NE) - Suspended: Yellow Card Accumulation

• May 18 vs. PHI

Strahinja Tanasijević (NYC) - Suspended: Red Card - Violent Conduct

• May 15 vs. PHI

Nouhou (SEA) - Suspended: Yellow Card Accumulation

• May 15 vs. RSL

Federico Bernardeschi (TOR) - Suspended: Red Card - Second Caution

• May 15 vs. NSH

Kevin Long (TOR) - Suspended: Yellow Card Accumulation

• May 15 vs. NSH

Prince Owusu (TOR) - Suspended: Red Card - Violent Conduct

• May 15 vs. NSH

Ok, thanks to this tweet I was able to spot Laryea, I missed him before because he is wearing NYCFC-coloured shorts. Still not seeing anything here that is anywhere close to what Owusu, Johnson and Herdman did in this clip (all of whom engage in physical conduct, with Herdman looking like he is trying to provoke the NYC coach into fisticuffs). Are they just suspending him for being on the field after the match?

Also, I am not sure that Herdman should have blurted out the bit about the alleged punch with no evidence to support his accusation - particularly two months after it apparently happened. This incident along with the "Fuck Croatia" idiocy, suggests that he still has a lot to learn when it comes to keeping his mouth shut at the right times.

24 minutes ago, to70 said:

Laryea won't serve his suspension til he recovers from his injury.

If that's true and if he actually has been suspended despite what the disciplinary report says, then they should just take him off the injured list right now.

36 minutes ago, to70 said:

Laryea won't serve his suspension til he recovers from his injury.

They shoud have fun actually determining when that is.

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Ok, thanks to this tweet I was able to spot Laryea, I missed him before because he is wearing NYCFC-coloured shorts. Still not seeing anything here that is anywhere close to what Owusu, Johnson and Herdman did in this clip (all of whom engage in physical conduct, with Herdman looking like he is trying to provoke the NYC coach into fisticuffs). Are they just suspending him for being on the field after the match?

Also, I am not sure that Herdman should have blurted out the bit about the alleged punch with no evidence to support his accusation - particularly two months after it apparently happened. This incident along with the "Fuck Croatia" idiocy, suggests that he still has a lot to learn when it comes to keeping his mouth shut at the right times.

I would guess the punishment would be more severe specifically because he was not an active player and involved himself.   

22 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would guess the punishment would be more severe specifically because he was not an active player and involved himself.  

Yes, that was what I was alluding to as well. But if that's the case, I think they have their priorities badly misplaced if that's the reason for the most severe suspension. I also find it bizarre that Sean Johnson running halfway across the field like a madman and putting a guy in a bearhug is deemed worth the same punishment as Bernadeschi holding his hands out in a perplexed manner and saying "What the fuck?" to the ref about the obviously-early blown whistle. And I am finding it strange that the threat of violence by Herdman gets one game while an obvious joke from Sartini last year gets five times that amount. I guess they figure Herdman is too small to actually hurt someone in spite of his "Let's drop the gloves!" antics?

Although this is not the first time I have scratched my head at MLS disciplinary decisions and probably won't be the last.