Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

49 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Another W for our Reds and TFC is on a roll now...3rd in MLS right now near top of the table and we have New York City FC coming into town next week...if we can beat them, then we have a shot at 2nd in the table. But a resurgence of our squad is mainly because of Herdman coming in and completely changing our team. We have literally turned ourselves around from laughing stocks into contenders in the MLS.

I don’t think I would go as far yet as saying we are contenders. We will have to start beating top teams for that to be the case.  But we have certainly become a playoff team.

And I agree that it is down mostly to herdman. You could even see it last night the way he was directing, encouraging, and shouting at the players in the second half to maintain the intensity and see the game out.  It can be summarized by the game that Bernardeschi laid down last night.  Not only did he score, but he was also back blocking shots in the box, making passes in the midfield, and running all over the pitch. Completely the opposite attitude and effort of what we saw the entire team doing under Bradley last season.

27 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I don’t think I would go as far yet as saying we are contenders. We will have to start beating top teams for that to be the case.  But we have certainly become a playoff team.

And I agree that it is down mostly to herdman. You could even see it last night the way he was directing, encouraging, and shouting at the players in the second half to maintain the intensity and see the game out.  It can be summarized by the game that Bernardeschi laid down last night.  Not only did he score, but he was also back blocking shots in the box, making passes in the midfield, and running all over the pitch. Completely the opposite attitude and effort of what we saw the entire team doing under Bradley last season.

Bradley all around was just a bad manager

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Bradley all around was just a bad manager

...or his tactical ideas got a bit dated where players coming in from a league like Serie A were concerned and he should have avoided the optics of selecting his severely over the hill son rather than telling him that it was time to retire. As recently as his stint at LAFC he was getting the job done in an MLS context.

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or his tactical ideas got a bit dated where players coming in from a league like Serie A were concerned and he should have avoided the optics of selecting his severely over the hill son rather than telling him that it was time to retire. As recently as his stint at LAFC he was getting the job done in an MLS context.

As much as i criticize Bradley, I really wonder what happened for the wheels to fall to the point they did.  I never believed the team was as bad as they played.  We've seen so much better from Bradley. 

Did he sabotage the project to get fired?  Was it age?  Or maybe it really does all come down to a father and son, coach and captain toxic combo the players just couldn't respect.  I'd probably put my money on the 3rd, but who knows.

Either way, we're clearly seeing Herdman at his best, the guys look confident and are having a good time.  It looks like a team.  

Upon reviewing the highlights, Osorio had a solid game as well.  Nearly scored before being taken down for the penalty kick, assisted on the second goal, and was highly visible on both offence and defense all game.  Not that we should need the help for the Saint Laurent games, but he's hitting a good stride as the Canadian Championship games come on and I know it is a tournament he really seems to enjoy and do well in.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kingston said:

Upon reviewing the highlights, Osorio had a solid game as well.  Nearly scored before being taken down for the penalty kick, assisted on the second goal, and was highly visible on both offence and defense all game.  Not that we should need the help for the Saint Laurent games, but he's hitting a good stride as the Canadian Championship games come on and I know it is a tournament he really seems to enjoy and do well in.

Unfortunately, watching the highlights is not the same as watching the full game. He was invisible in the 2nd half and pretty mediocre overall. With multiple giveaway passes, a cheated penalty that shouldn’t have been and bad defensive awareness costing Sean Johnson his 100th clean sheet in league play. He’s just another player that hopefully gets displaced next season with a true #10. But shoutout to Flores & Coello who both had excellent games.

Edited by anthony7

Ur really flogging that horse eh? So he gets a nifty pass to bernadesci on the goal that was called back, gets an assist on the screamer, wins the penalty (first time I've seen a guy win a penalty and get shit for it).  And on the defensive break down for the goal against, you pick him out of Flores, Langstaff and the CBs that never came over... to wear the goat horns??  Its an opinion i guess, I'd hate to see what you thought of Coello or Flores.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Ur really flogging that horse eh? So he gets a nifty pass to bernadesci on the goal that was called back, gets an assist on the screamer, wins the penalty (first time I've seen a guy win a penalty and get shit for it).  And on the defensive break down for the goal against, you pick him out of Flores, Langstaff and the CBs that never came over... to wear the goat horns??  Its an opinion i guess, I'd hate to see what you thought of Coello or Flores.  

Flogging that horse? Sir, I’m speaking actual facts. Please talk to me when this guy can actually have a complete game with some real influence.

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, anthony7 said:

Unfortunately, watching the highlights is not the same as watching the full game. He was invisible in the 2nd half and pretty mediocre overall. With multiple giveaway passes, a cheated penalty that shouldn’t have been and bad defensive awareness costing Sean Johnson his 100th clean sheet in league play. He’s just another player that hopefully gets displaced next season with a true #10. But shoutout to Flores & Coello who both had excellent games.

I watched the game, too.  During the game, Bernadeshi had the attention. It was only on watching the highlights that I noticed how well Osorio also played. 

If you feel the penalty he drew wasn’t deserved or that the goal against was somehow on Osorio, you might consider reviewing the highlights yourself to refresh your memory.

Cocker spaniel, Chihuahua or Border Collie?

(It's quite obvious that Osorio ran over the pet dog of a certain poster here, so the only question left is what breed of dog it was.)

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I watched the game, too.  During the game, Bernadeshi had the attention. It was only on watching the highlights that I noticed how well Osorio also played. 

If you feel the penalty he drew wasn’t deserved or that the goal against was somehow on Osorio, you might consider reviewing the highlights yourself to refresh your memory.

It’s alright, I know what I saw. Even Steven Caldwell confirmed my initial suspicion that it wasn’t a penalty. This was after rewatching the game on TSN after watching it live on Apple TV. I don’t need to keep making excuses for a guy that just can’t cut it in this league.

Edited by anthony7

As for TFC, I'm pleased about the success and their place in the standings but not really sure how good a team this actually is. All their wins have come against teams that are not doing well in the standings, so I will be pleasantly surprised if they can stay in the top 4. On the other hand, they are doing this with a lot of key players injured (including two DP's, even if one of them is a DP via technicality) and they are certainly more motivated and have a higher morale which alone should account for a few more points in the standings vs. last year (although I don't think anything could be as depressing as last season). The playoffs at least seem like a realistic possibility even if they don't stay as highly perched as they are now.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

HEHE, yeah he sucks...almost ruined the game for tfc... winning that penalty.  Should have pulled him right there for that mystical consistant game altering #10 we dont have.  

Sir, I want TFC to win fair and square. Not cheat to win. If TFC cheat to win then what is the point in watching the beautiful game?

Edited by anthony7

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Now I am totally sure your a troll.  And dont call me Sir, I work for a living.  

Right, so proper game analysis is now trolling, lmao!!! I actually work for a living as well and have been respectful so what’s your point? No need to cry about the truth. If you can’t take it then feel free to step out of the arena.

Edited by anthony7

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

As for TFC, I'm pleased about the success and their place in the standings but not really sure how good a team this actually is. All their wins have come against teams that are not doing well in the standings, so I will be pleasantly surprised if they can stay in the top 4. On the other hand, they are doing this with a lot of key players injured (including two DP's, even if one of them is a DP via technicality) and they are certainly more motivated and have a higher morale which alone should account for a few more points in the standings vs. last year (although I don't think anything could be as depressing as last season). The playoffs at least seem like a realistic possibility even if they don't stay as highly perched as they are now.

As I wrote earlier, on skill, I think they could finish anywhere from 4th to 10th.  Given how Herdman currently has them playing, they’re looking closer to the top end of that range.  

Way, way more fun to watch than last year.

10 hours ago, anthony7 said:

It’s alright, I know what I saw. Even Steven Caldwell confirmed my initial suspicion that it wasn’t a penalty. This was after rewatching the game on TSN after watching it live on Apple TV. I don’t need to keep making excuses for a guy that just can’t cut it in this league.

Tell me you know nothing about footie without telling me you know nothing about footie.

7 hours ago, longlugan said:

Tell me you know nothing about footie without telling me you know nothing about footie.

Lol I mean we all have players that we are not that fond of but this guy takes it to another level lol , very strange .

On 5/6/2024 at 8:57 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah but being in top 4 at least right now just shows the drastic improvement of our squad given where we were last year in the standings and given the team we were under Bradley vs the team we are now under Herdman. Herdman has helped turn us around.

6 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but being in top 4 at least right now just shows the drastic improvement of our squad given where we were last year in the standings and given the team we were under Bradley vs the team we are now under Herdman. Herdman has helped turn us around.

Definitely better than what was expected at this point in the season.  No one can say they expected more.

Lots of us expressed concern about how long it would take to turn the ship around, it was instantaneous.  The issue was 93% the Bradleys.  7% roster and injuries.  Herdman fixed this as well as he fixed the early CANMNT issues.  Top marks to him.   

Still some tweaking to do on the roster and system, but that was expected.  TFC is in a much better place.

I’m excited to see what we can do this year, let alone what might be possible next year with an off-season of upgrades.

For right now i’m very curious to see what lineup gets fielded against Saint Laurent tonight.   I’m hoping something like the lineup we used against Simcoe – one or two regular starters to lead a team of bench players and call ups.  I enjoy seeing the younger guys get minutes and I don’t want to tire the legs of the main players with some winnable league matches coming up.