Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

32 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Earlier this week, Herdman on Kobe Franklin "easily the most committed pro at TFC."

Herdman today "Kobe, back on the bench where you belong"

Thought the exact same thing!

23 minutes ago, jordan said:

Pumping a guy up with a big future isn’t hurting him when he doesn’t start

Agreed, just remarking it was the first thought that came into my head when I saw the lineup.

3 hours ago, kacbru said:

Earlier this week, Herdman on Kobe Franklin "easily the most committed pro at TFC."

Herdman today "Kobe, back on the bench where you belong"

Look at the impact he just made tonight. Game management. In some situations players make more of an impact off the bench. Those reps from Wednesday’s training session payed off tonight.

Edited by anthony7

33 minutes ago, PastPros said:

"Committed pro" <> starter

Guy works hard. That's great - but it doesn't guarantee anything.

9 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

Look at the impact he just made tonight. Game management. In some situations players make more of an impact off the bench. Those reps from Wednesday’s training session payed off tonight.

I don't disagree - it was just jarring to have it so close together. 

Overall good comeback tonight. Subs really made impacts off the bench. For the time being, Owusu may just be that place holder for the #9 position. Just need to displace Invisible Osorio with a midfielder of some influence and TFC just might squeak into the playoffs.

Edited by anthony7

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

+4 on last year and we havnt even reached the point where the wheels fell off.  Goals are starting to come, Owusu at 5 would have tied for the lead for all last season...very promising.  

I'm feeling quietly optimistic, yet there is still a little hesitation.  We're seeing guys play with more confidence which is refreshing.

The realistic side of me looks at the results and sees only 3 of 10 matches played vs playoff bound teams.

54 minutes ago, costarg said:

I'm feeling quietly optimistic, yet there is still a little hesitation.  We're seeing guys play with more confidence which is refreshing.

The realistic side of me looks at the results and sees only 3 of 10 matches played vs playoff bound teams.

At the beginning of last year I saw the line up and thought that this looked like a team that could finish anywhere from fourth to tenth.  Then things went incredibly badly but it was all attitude, not skill.

This year we have very close to the same line up but the attitude is completely different.  So I still see the raw talent level as being somewhere mid-table with the difference between fourth and tenth coming down to what percentage of maximum performance Herdman can coax from the squad.  So far, though, it is promising.

Edited by Kingston

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Yes, the records of the teams that TFC have beaten are quite poor, although part of that is because TFC have beaten them.

Owusu is something of a bizarre striker. He doesn't look like he can shoot or strike the ball to save his life, but he seems to be able to knock the ball into the net effectively. The game plan pretty much has to be to throw the ball up in the box and hope he can knock or flick it in. And also hope for more really bad goalkeeping that the Peruvian keeper Canada will probably be facing in June (because let's face it, even Gallese's teammates were reacting with "WTF was that?" expressions on their faces over that winning goal).

On 4/29/2024 at 4:06 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Yes, the records of the teams that TFC have beaten are quite poor, although part of that is because TFC have beaten them.

Owusu is something of a bizarre striker. He doesn't look like he can shoot or strike the ball to save his life, but he seems to be able to knock the ball into the net effectively. The game plan pretty much has to be to throw the ball up in the box and hope he can knock or flick it in. And also hope for more really bad goalkeeping that the Peruvian keeper Canada will probably be facing in June (because let's face it, even Gallese's teammates were reacting with "WTF was that?" expressions on their faces over that winning goal).

Owusu is literally a poor man’s Benteke. Same height, running style, skill set and style of play. Benteke is just the better version overall in terms of player attributes.

Edited by anthony7

Trying to go to another TFC game at BMO soon...was at the home opener but haven't been to another game since and seeing as how we have 2 home games coming up against FC Dallas and New York City FC on the 4th and 11th I'm at least trying to go to one of those.

However, the players I'm most impressed by now definitely are Bernadeschi 🇮🇹 and Prince Owusu 🇩🇪 especially Owusu. He's becoming our new poacher.

We host Dallas this weekend.

Pros:  At home, Dallas is struggling this year, Dallas has its own injury woes.

Cons:  Dallas has owned TFC all time (2-6-11 W-D-L).

A win here feels very achievable and would keep the momentum going as we wait for guys to start coming off the injury list.

8 games in the month of May so 8 games in 26 days coming up and they put akinola and perruzza aside with 4 players already confirmed out for 4+ weeks and insigne still out but coming back next week...how many more will fall 3-4-5 players? Then in June some players going to national teams...you can see how this can all fall apart quickly...hopefully not though

so basically 25 outfield players in the roster -5 currently injured -akinola perruzza = 18 outfield players currently available

10 minutes ago, Big_M said:

8 games in the month of May so 8 games in 26 days coming up and they put akinola and perruzza aside with 4 players already confirmed out for 4+ weeks and insigne still out but coming back next week...how many more will fall 3-4-5 players? Then in June some players going to national teams...you can see how this can all fall apart quickly...hopefully not though

so basically 25 outfield players in the roster -5 currently injured -akinola perruzza = 18 outfield players currently available

Probably will just call guys up from TFC II when necessary 

Great win!  That was some game by Bernardeschi (although he should not be our go to guy from the penalty spot)!  Also nice work by Osorio to draw the foul for the first goal and Longstaff to finish the third. 

It was an unfortunate to lose the shutout so late. 

Game eleven last year was a loss to NER that left us at 12 points.  We are now +7 on the season. 

Another W for our Reds and TFC is on a roll now...3rd in MLS right now near top of the table and we have New York City FC coming into town next week...if we can beat them, then we have a shot at 2nd in the table. But a resurgence of our squad is mainly because of Herdman coming in and completely changing our team. We have literally turned ourselves around from laughing stocks into contenders in the MLS.