Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

What is going on????  Is it really all down to coincidence or is there a definite and solid pattern here?  Field?  Trainers?  Maybe nothing and really just an unfortunate coincidence, but the question needs to be asked.

21 hours ago, nolando said:

We all know Herdman had his own and special way of picking and evaluating players/talent.  Some guys thrived with him, while others withered.  Only thing that was certain is there was very little chance of a way back in once you were  brushed aside.

15 hours ago, costarg said:

We all know Herdman had his own and special way of picking and evaluating players/talent.  Some guys thrived with him, while others withered.  Only thing that was certain is there was very little chance of a way back in once you were  brushed aside.

It's not like Kaye has really proven Herdman wrong. Then, in contrast, Fraser has shown Herdman choosing him to have been justified, even Brym has responded positively to his (for me doubtful) call ups. 

Kaye was a bit "toxic" as well, he blabbed about internal issues and put politicking ahead of play at times. 

The one player who deserved to get an appearance at the World Cup and didn't was Piette, that was unfair. 

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not like Kaye has really proven Herdman wrong. Then, in contrast, Fraser has shown Herdman choosing him to have been justified, even Brym has responded positively to his (for me doubtful) call ups. 

Kaye was a bit "toxic" as well, he blabbed about internal issues and put politicking ahead of play at times. 

The one player who deserved to get an appearance at the World Cup and didn't was Piette, that was unfair. 

And, he nearly fucked us out of the World Cup altogether in Costa Rica, 'cause he's a total bellend.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

And, he nearly fucked us out of the World Cup altogether in Costa Rica, 'cause he's a total bellend.

Yes, that was a totally inexcusable selfish display and Herdman called him right back into the side, I thought his play for the CMNT was deteriorating quickly as well!

Glad to see us get the necessary win at home.

I really wish Bernardeschi would have scored, both for his confidence and because it would have iced the game instead of leading to some nervous moments.

An overall good performance by the defense and keeper.

Last year's game nine was a loss to Philly to leave us at 9 points.  With 13 points so far this year we are at +4 on the season.

On 4/21/2024 at 4:57 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Absolutely.  

Yet, devils advocate.....

Look at Bair with his current coach and compare him to anything else we've seen from him at any team or age.

Then look at how many guys in the brotherhood were playing way above expectations with Herdman in the early days.  Adekugbe, Larin, Fraser, Miller.....

Checkout Piette with several different coaches and then look at him under Herdman.  Not the same player.

Kaye's career is full of ups and downs depending on club situation and coach.

A player knows and feels when a coach believes in him and it reflects in his play.  Pretty sure what we were seeing towards the end was a result of a breakdown in their relationship.

Do we assume Osorio maybe asked for an extra year in exchange for dropping his yearly salary? He renegotiated at the end of 2022, is on contract to the end of 2025, with the club option. Add a year and that ensures him a contract into age 34.

It would make sense.

At a certain age, and maybe he is not there yet, you want continuity and not to be cut, that is what Atiba kept doing at Besiktas.

On J Molinaro's blog, he had this interesting tidbit. "Hernandez revealed that Toronto has not used its one buyout per season on Norwegian forward Adam Diomande, who was put on waivers in February. The club remains on the hook for his full contract and salary cap hit – he earned $585,000 US last season – until he signs with another team, either in MLS or from abroad, after he cleared waivers."

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Do we assume Osorio maybe asked for an extra year in exchange for dropping his yearly salary? He renegotiated at the end of 2022, is on contract to the end of 2025, with the club option. Add a year and that ensures him a contract into age 34.

It would make sense.

At a certain age, and maybe he is not there yet, you want continuity and not to be cut, that is what Atiba kept doing at Besiktas.

I think Osorio was only a DP last year for MLS cap rule shenanigans though?  I'm pretty sure he was at $1.5 million which is the maximum TAM amount.  So he shouldn't need to take a pay cut to avoid being a DP.

35 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I think Osorio was only a DP last year for MLS cap rule shenanigans though?  I'm pretty sure he was at $1.5 million which is the maximum TAM amount.  So he shouldn't need to take a pay cut to avoid being a DP.

He should take a massive pay cut out of respect for the club. I’m talking 50% or more. The guy is no where near worth that amount. That money should be paid to a true #10 that can be a difference maker.

Edited by anthony7

16 hours ago, anthony7 said:

He should take a massive pay cut out of respect for the club. I’m talking 50% or more. The guy is no where near worth that amount. That money should be paid to a true #10 that can be a difference maker.

Sometimes salary corresponds to accumulated legacy.

In fact, MLS salaries recognize this principle, so that continuity warrants more, and at a certain point, quite a bit more. Then, it has to be taken into account that for a few years Osorio was playing in the middle better than a guy making 6-7 million, think it was. So you compensate the excess disparity in MLS salaries, and earlier underpayment, by giving a guy a legacy contract. 

Everyone knows that unless he starts really playing sharp, when the contract expires 2025 he would normally be offered a lower salary, the club would not pick his option up at that salary level. 

Which is why I think he's agreed to an extension but at a reduction in pay.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sometimes salary corresponds to accumulated legacy.

In fact, MLS salaries recognize this principle, so that continuity warrants more, and at a certain point, quite a bit more. Then, it has to be taken into account that for a few years Osorio was playing in the middle better than a guy making 6-7 million, think it was. So you compensate the excess disparity in MLS salaries, and earlier underpayment, by giving a guy a legacy contract. 

Everyone knows that unless he starts really playing sharp, when the contract expires 2025 he would normally be offered a lower salary, the club would not pick his option up at that salary level. 

Which is why I think he's agreed to an extension but at a reduction in pay.

Who was the guy making 6-7 million?

Bradley was not making 6-7 million when he became shit. He was making max TAM which is 1.6 million. My problem with Bradley is that he never took one for the team when we were trying to keep Benezet at the end of 2019. Bradley got all this applause when he took a pay cut in his last season when he was already on track to become the highest ever overall earner in MLS.

Edited by anthony7

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They've already forgotten he was making the same as 15 guys on the roster combined?

Doesn't seem logical to fret about Osorio's per diems when Bradley was pulling in those bucks.

Arefulcay ithway ethay adleybray alktay!   

You'll wake up the bears.

could or could not be...we'll see...2022 was his peak with 9 goals 6 assists for columbus...came up big for them when they won the cup in 2020 including scoring in the final...5th club in 10 seasons for him

Etienne made US$676,250 last season, according to the MLS Players Association. But he will only count the senior minimum charge (US$89,716) against the Toronto salary cap with Atlanta covering half of his salary in 2026, according to a TFC spokesperson.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/toronto-fc-acquires-haiti-international-160808884.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAK0PQlFx1tOFu4mrkOaWd65MPHpG75nUTwCQC1eVywhO-kcNsq-nhZ2OIpvLTmyhCg8iChNHeegMy-li72wny_mufAV1bxnkgcTIaHbcxJYpfbwf0olbuPwUT_0c30pG86JRt8rOzOiIpwVCb9CpcV7sZ5m5kpGMiHaUgS6_cr8o