Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

A bit disappointing but this is the type of thing that we will see this year, especially with our injury list.  We are greatly improved, but we are not yet a top team by any means.

I was surprised to see Owusu instead of Kerr.  Also, Rosted is still useless.  But I was happy to see Osorio extend his consecutive season scoring streak to 12 years.  That is a TFC record that may never be broken.

Last year week six was a draw against Charlotte to bring us to 7 points.  Even with this loss we are still at +3 on the season.

8 minutes ago, rydermike said:

He already got bought out by Toronto. That's what waivers is. If no one claims him, he's removed from the roster and bought out.

Has the club announced that?

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

Has the club announced that?

It's just what waivers basically is. When a team claims a player off waivers, they bid for how much of the contract, they're willing to pay. Whoever is willing to pay the most gets him and the original team pays the rest. It's what happened with Cristian Guttierrez last year (we'd paid X amount and the Caps paid the rest). Since no one claimed Diomande, we're on the hook for his full salary. He's no longer on the roster, so hence just becomes a buyout. Same process as the NBA waivers.

not exactly...teams get one buyout per year so we cant say that any player who is waived and unclaimed is bought out

technically after a buyout there is no longer any link between the player and the team and league

after a waiver the player may not be with the team anymore but still has a contract with the league...now the league could decide to let him go which is probably what happened here

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

And somehow some of the guys from u15 Arsenal and Sporting will get appearances with the first team in a few years. While Toronto will sign some journeyman American to take up roster spots 

And a few people on this forum will defend it with "well if the kids were good enough they would have played. 🙃 "

1 hour ago, narduch said:

And a few people on this forum will defend it with "well if the kids were good enough they would have played. 🙃 "

Without having watched the matches, the question comes to my mind as to whether TFC out footballed them or did it with athleticism.  When I have watched in the past, it’s generally been the latter and that is what the problem has been.  When these players grow up, they can’t do that at the adult level and that is when the gap in some of their core skills becomes apparent; whereas those on the teams they beat close the athleticism gap but then stand out in the adult competition as they have the better footballing skills.

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

Without having watched the matches, the question comes to my mind as to whether TFC out footballed them or did it with athleticism.  When I have watched in the past, it’s generally been the latter and that is what the problem has been.  When these players grow up, they can’t do that at the adult level and that is when the gap in some of their core skills becomes apparent; whereas those on the teams they beat close the athleticism gap but then stand out in the adult competition as they have the better footballing skills.

I had the same concern but watching the team now, it looks like they have some skill.  They aren't playing route-one to the oversized forward, which we've seen in the past.  Their goal they just scored was a well worked sequence.  The kid I like the most so far in my limited viewing is Ty Williams who is a tidy little CB.  Doesn't look like he's a monster kid who would dominate at this age group just because he had a growth spurt earlier in life (in fact looks a little undersized).

Currently 1-1.

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I had the same concern but watching the team now, it looks like they have some skill.  They aren't playing route-one to the oversized forward, which we've seen in the past.  Their goal they just scored was a well worked sequence.  The kid I like the most so far in my limited viewing is Ty Williams who is a tidy little CB.  Doesn't look like he's a monster kid who would dominate at this age group just because he had a growth spurt earlier in life (in fact looks a little undersized).

Currently 1-1.

That’s good to hear. Thanks for that. 

The senior team is definitely more organized but the lack a true 10.

really missing Insigne. Gomis looks to be solid, obviously no Laryea hurts. The strike force is dead weight after Kerr and I mean Owusu is overpaid.

Flores rough game but he’s a baller. Coello is a decent depth player at this level IMHO.

Long is solid; Spicer is going to be strong bench option this year but I mean he could be right up there with Kerr if they’d just find a proper fucking left back or play Franklin there.

I get trying to play the kids but they’re using them as plugs for where they don’t have depth or a starter.

Still a mess of a team.

best bet, imho and it’s controversial:

move out

johnson

rosted

petretra

owusu

one of the Italians 

akinola 

build around a core of Gavran, spicer Rutty Kerr 

with Oso and Flores to anchor the mid.

we’ll see what Herdman does over time, but it’s clear right now the youth has quality but it needs to be played in position and the team still carrying a lot of dead weight 

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The senior team is definitely more organized but the lack a true 10.

really missing Insigne. Gomis looks to be solid, obviously no Laryea hurts. The strike force is dead weight after Kerr and I mean Owusu is overpaid.

Flores rough game but he’s a baller. Coello is a decent depth player at this level IMHO.

Long is solid; Spicer is going to be strong bench option this year but I mean he could be right up there with Kerr if they’d just find a proper fucking left back or play Franklin there.

I get trying to play the kids but they’re using them as plugs for where they don’t have depth or a starter.

Still a mess of a team.

best bet, imho and it’s controversial:

move out

johnson

rosted

petretra

owusu

one of the Italians 

akinola 

build around a core of Gavran, spicer Rutty Kerr 

with Oso and Flores to anchor the mid.

we’ll see what Herdman does over time, but it’s clear right now the youth has quality but it needs to be played in position and the team still carrying a lot of dead weight 

Herdman has only been there for 7 months, you can't expect him to have figured things out that quickly.

With Canada it took him a few years. I don't know what people expect from him.

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Herdman has only been there for 7 months, you can't expect him to have figured things out that quickly.

With Canada it took him a few years. I don't know what people expect from him.

And he made no major signings.  It's not "his" players yet.

13 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

And he made no major signings.  It's not "his" players yet.

He's figuring it out slowly, watching them for the last 3 months last season clearly confused him. Pre-season doesn't count. But we got that interview from Twellman to assure us they are off to a great start.