Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

17 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well I have been critical of Herdman when I thought it was warranted but he has clearly won over TFC.  Insigne scores a wondergoal and immediately races over to almost tackle Herdman.  

Special moment.  This says so much.

image.png.74502282e92a9cc72e4da4aacd383cb5.png

And, I've been critical of Coelho's play so I will give him his due props.  He was good yesterday before he was pulled. Let's hope Long isn't too badly injured because Rosted (another horrific Bradley decision) is scary bad.

Lots of positives to take from the game.

I really liked Gavran's confidence for a guy who doesn't see a lot of starts.  He owned his area.

Franklin had a good outing, I thought.

And, of course, another win.

On the downside, Rosted should not be on the pitch.  And, as much as we've done well so far this year, we aren't going to get a shut out every game so we're going to have to figure out how to score more frequently.

Last year game three was a draw with the Crew in our home opener to give us two points on the season.  We are now at +5 compared to last year.

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

Yup, yet another absolutely useless Bradley acquisition. 

Well, technically he wasn't a Bradley acquisition. We got him about two weeks after Bradley was fired.

He was, however, acquired to rid the team of another Bradley acquisition - Mark Anthony Kaye - who appears to be a part of the broken dressing room in the pro- vs anti-Bradley faction.

2 hours ago, rydermike said:

Well, technically he wasn't a Bradley acquisition. We got him about two weeks after Bradley was fired.

He was, however, acquired to rid the team of another Bradley acquisition - Mark Anthony Kaye - who appears to be a part of the broken dressing room in the pro- vs anti-Bradley faction.

When the team signed MAK I thought it was a good move but he certainly didn't pan out the way I expected during his time in Toronto.

10 minutes ago, narduch said:

If TFC advance they could face Messi and Inter Miami in the knock out stage

TFC is deservedly the lowest ranked team in their pool with the ranking system used for this event.  Despite that, I'd say they have a fair chance of advancing past the group stage.

I'm also glad we have the Pachuca game at home instead of hosting a fellow MLS side.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Disappointing on both counts.

Gavran has been a serviceable fill in for Johnson but we don't have another player with Laryea's ability to race up and down the wing along the entire length of the field.

I noticed none of the Canadian teams have both matches at home.  Anyone know if that's deliberate or a coincidence? (I assume all the Mexican teams are playing all matches away like last year.)

Just now, Metro said:

I noticed none of the Canadian teams have both matches at home.  Anyone know if that's deliberate or a coincidence? (I assume all the Mexican teams are playing all matches away like last year.)

Its based on standings in last year's MLS season. The MLS team that had more points last season hosts.

26 minutes ago, narduch said:

Its based on standings in last year's MLS season. The MLS team that had more points last season hosts.

Is this true even as the knockout rounds progress?  I was hoping Toronto could somehow win their group and Miami to come 2nd in theirs so they could visit Toronto.  
I’m afraid with Miami coming to Toronto as the last game of the season, Messi may be rested if they’ve solidified their playoff spot or have already been eliminated.

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Is this true even as the knockout rounds progress?  I was hoping Toronto could somehow win their group and Miami to come 2nd in theirs so they could visit Toronto.  
I’m afraid with Miami coming to Toronto as the last game of the season, Messi may be rested if they’ve solidified their playoff spot or have already been eliminated.

I don't know how the knock outs work for hosting. Other than the fact that if you get a Mexican teams you host for sure.

That Messi game is right before the International window. If Miami is comfortably in the playoffs Messi won't play for sure.

Looks they are already telling people he may not play v DC this weekend....

Edited by narduch

Away to New York City tomorrow.

TFC is 9-7-9 (WDL) all time against NYCFC.

Our last two matches (one of which was in Leagues Cup) were both away in New York as well and we got slammed both times for a combined 0-8 in goals scored.  At the moment, however, New York is winless on the season.

Laryea and Kerr are both listed as out due to injury on the MLS website.

I think this will come down to whether TFC can find a way to score other than Insigne coming up with something brilliant. We need a couple of "routine" goals.

Edited by Kingston