Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

I think TFC set a club record for goals allowed last year so I don't think anyone can really complain about the zero goals allowed in two games thus far on the road (one of which Laryea didn't play in). Owusu being the starting striker looks like the biggest hole now - missed a sitter yesterday that Kerr would likely have put away, so it might help to start him instead once he is healthy, but still not sure that he's really a #9

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Curious, as I've only seen highlights: can Herdman's hand be seen, and how?

The highlights don't usually show the coaches so you'd need to find video of the whole match.  Then you can see his hand (both of them, actually) while he's shown gesturing on the sidelines.

More seriously, I think it's too early to say what is due to Herdman and what is due to statistical chance.  Give it another couple of games and then we can assess.

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Curious, as I've only seen highlights: can Herdman's hand be seen, and how?

I think it has helped. They seem to be more organized defensively.

Part of me wonders if this is just smoke and mirrors for now. Cincinnati were probably caught off guard and may still be stinging from their playoff loss to Columbus. And New England really hasn't been the same since Arena was removed.

They have 2 more easy opponents coming up as well. Charlotte next week and NYCFC the following week.  

4 minutes ago, rydermike said:

The players seem to be way more motivated and cohesive/on the same page which is huge, even the Italians. That alone is a key difference and I feel like Herdman is a key part of that. 

A couple of more results will just increase that and then it may be all that is needed to turn things around. 

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

They have 2 more easy opponents coming up as well. Charlotte next week and NYCFC the following week.  

Cincinnati is actually a good team and New England is at least middling.  So I'm not sure I'd characterize their next opponents as two *more* easy teams.

But the fact that any TFC opponent would be described as easy shows how far the thinking about TFC has come from the end of last year.  So that's good.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Cincinnati is actually a good team and New England is at least middling.  So I'm not sure I'd characterize their next opponents as two *more* easy teams.

But the fact that any TFC opponent would be described as easy shows how far the thinking about TFC has come from the end of last year.  So that's good.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I think it has helped. They seem to be more organized defensively.

Part of me wonders if this is just smoke and mirrors for now. Cincinnati were probably caught off guard and may still be stinging from their playoff loss to Columbus. And New England really hasn't been the same since Arena was removed.

I know it’s only two games but after the way they finished last season this is at least encouraging. They have looked very organized and there seems to be a system of play they are trying to follow . Moreover, the effort at least in these first two games has been night and day compared to last season . Charlotte will not be easy they looked good against Vancouver so it will be an interesting test on Saturday. 

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

The players seem to be way more motivated and cohesive/on the same page which is huge, even the Italians. That alone is a key difference and I feel like Herdman is a key part of that. 

This is where it's at for me.  I didn't see all 180, but the intensity and system seems to be at a higher level from what I can tell.  

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Herdman changed the formation to having 3 at the back on the basis of a metrics analysis that he or his staff did as to which formations are historically most successful in MLS - relying on metrics so heavily is a standard Herdman tactic

Peter Galindo?

42 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Going to the home opener on Saturday...my first ever TFC game I'll be attending in person live 

Enjoy!  Distance prevents me from getting out to too many live matches but they are always fun.  The atmosphere is great and a season opener is special in any sport.  Hopefully the weather forecast improves for you.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Enjoy!  Distance prevents me from getting out to too many live matches but they are always fun.  The atmosphere is great and a season opener is special in any sport.  Hopefully the weather forecast improves for you.

Thanks that is the plan

TFC is certainly looking more cohesive. They seemed a bit short on ideas for most of the game, mind you. Appreciate the work rate and quality of Bernaleftfootonly, and Flores is doing a damned good job of in the middle of the park, but contrary to what Caldwell and Wileman asserted on several occasions during today's broadcast, it is far too early to claim they are the real deal.  Holy Hannah! Did their Roger's overlords tell them to say that? Three games?!  They don't look like crap, they've nicked a few results, but they are from being the finished product. Yup, they're suffering several key injuries, and it is early days with plenty of new pieces, but Steve and Luke need to temper things a bit here, I feel.

I dont blame them (announcers)for drinking a little Herdman cool-aid....we all know its pretty tasty, but watch out for the nasty after taste.  This season reminds me of when Gio or Poz used to pull some magic out of their ass and TFC would nick points they shouldnt have had.  Hey, thats why they spent the money on them, so maybe the front office isnt as stupid as  thought. 

Its been nice to have someone mobile  doing the dirty work in the middle, breaking up attacks, winning balls, running hard with more speed than a geriatric sloth.   That and having what looks to be a real CB holding down the fort sure makes ONiell/Petretta more effective.  Why couldnt Hedges have done that last year??  Garvan didnt have much to do, but he didnt make any huge goofs...looks like we might have 4 CDN starting keepers for a bit in MLS......WOW!!  

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Well I have been critical of Herdman when I thought it was warranted but he has clearly won over TFC.  Insigne scores a wondergoal and immediately races over to almost tackle Herdman.  

Maybe it was just a question of finding the only guy on the pitch to hug who is as short as him?