Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

29 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Question is, when they encounter resistance, will Herdman keep them mentally engaged or will they fold like a cheap suit? 

I think this is a case where the old sports cliche of "one game at a time" is actually literally true. 

I'm optimistic Herdman can help them build resilience, especially if they can get some early results like last game that are a bit better than people were probably expecting.  They will definitely need some because even with improvements this is still likely to be a middling sort of year.

On 2/26/2024 at 1:45 PM, Kingston said:

I'll take a draw on the road against one of the best teams in the leauge.

Just for fun, I'm going to track our points this season compared to last.  Last year we opened with a loss to DC, so after this draw we are at +1.

I have 300$ to invest in any over-under you'll give me.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

MLS coaches tend to overrate the ability of players from their original country of origin relative to MLS. Aron Winter and Nick Soolsma, for example. This signing looks like it could easily fall into that category.

Soolsma wasn't paid much. Koevermans on the other hand was at $1.4 million.

I doubt that Longstaff is getting much more than minimum, after being out of contract for along time - he hasn't even played a competitive match since 2022. So they take a flyer on him. 

And as far as I know, he's the only English player that TFC has picked up. IN 2011 alone, we had 3 Dutch.

That win was good for a number of reasons.  Obviously a win is always good.  Good to get Insigne on track for the season.  Good to snatch three points in Boston which is not a city that has been kind to us.  Good to take points off another eastern team.

The score could just as easily been something like 4-2.

Last season game two was a draw away to Atlanta for our first point of the year.  After yesterday's win we are now at +3 on points compared to 2023.

Edited by Kingston

I thought the Italians played hard yesterday, which was good to see.  Lots of tracking back, even Petretta had a decent game.  The backline looks much improved with Long and Gomis.  O'Neill has looked okay as well.   Flores is a big addition and maybe Longstaff can replace Coelho?  

So far so good!  I could only listen to the first 45 min, unable to watch either half.  How did Osorio do?  Does he look to be back to 2022 Osorio?  Can we count on him for CANMNT?  I think I heard his name mentioned twice in the first 45 min.

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

So far so good!  I could only listen to the first 45 min, unable to watch either half.  How did Osorio do?  Does he look to be back to 2022 Osorio?  Can we count on him for CANMNT?  I think I heard his name mentioned twice in the first 45 min.

I did not get to see much either but, from my perspective, he looked solid.  Had a good scoring chance in the first half and rang a long range shot off the crossbar later in the game.

It’s still very early but Osorio seems to have really welcomed the captaincy role.  Throughout his career I wasn’t sure he was captain material but that’s developed in his later years.  He genuinely looks motivated to lead this club this season.  

2 hours ago, Corazon said:

It’s still very early but Osorio seems to have really welcomed the captaincy role.  Throughout his career I wasn’t sure he was captain material but that’s developed in his later years.  He genuinely looks motivated to lead this club this season.  

on Apple TV during the games they showed the statistic of mileage covered and he was the leader in both games.