Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Meh...saving money, hopefully a small contract on a 3rd string keeper.  He didnt show well in his cameo last season, and prob wont get a game this season unless we have Johnson/Garvan injuries at the same time.  Still, you have to have some insurance and the prospects can get game time with TFC2 eh?  

17 minutes ago, to70 said:

With Long and Laryea the defense is already a huge improvement over last year. Bernadeschi should be a lot better with Richie back . 

Agreed. Laryea is probably worth at least five fewer goals against and two or three more goals for.

24 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Hope Franklin has a path forward. If not he needs a loan. Don’t want the momentum he built last year to come to a halt.

How flexible is he in terms of position?

Our preferred defensive four currently looks like:

Petretta - O'Neill - Long - Laryea

I'm guessing JMR goes back to midfield and Petretta is our only natural left back.  It's also unlikely that all those four starters will be putting in 34 game seasons.

37 minutes ago, Kingston said:

How flexible is he in terms of position?

Our preferred defensive four currently looks like:

Petretta - O'Neill - Long - Laryea

I'm guessing JMR goes back to midfield and Petretta is our only natural left back.  It's also unlikely that all those four starters will be putting in 34 game seasons.

I think Franklin played some LB of memory serves. So if he is cover for both sides and as you say JMR moves forward (not a fb) then maybe he can get solid minutes. 

We see how young players can get glued to the pine tho. So I’m dubious. 

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

My preferred starting four would be:

Laryea - O'Neill - Long - Franklin

Never was a fan of Petretta when I saw him play those 3 and a half games where he wasn't injured.

Petretta on a big bloated wage tho. One of the highest FB wages in the league last year. Will they feel compelled to play him because of it? 

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

My preferred starting four would be:

Laryea - O'Neill - Long - Franklin

Never was a fan of Petretta when I saw him play those 3 and a half games where he wasn't injured.

I could go with that.  It certainly looks stronger than what we had at the end of last season.

One of the trialists, a CB "who excelled as part of a back three with Sheffield U21s" - 11 appearances in 2022-23 season with the U23 team of Belgium 2nd Div team Beerschot VA. 

Does suggest a lean to 3 CBs...

3 hours ago, narduch said:

This guy's resume screams CPL signing.

Hope I'm wrong about this one.

These are the type of signings you wish went to domestic players. I get the experience in Europe counts for A LOT even if it didn't come with 1st team games but, at that age and position they could've gone and got someone like Nimick.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

On the space of a couple days I have alot more confidence this season won't be a complete train wreck.  Not sure why these moves happened literally days before the first game and not several weeks ago.

If at least 2 of the guys were with the team as trialists it doesnt matter that much eh??  Lareya will slip right into the lineup and purr like a kitten.  Funny how everyone was saying there were no roster spots, no cap space, then Long, Lareya, Ranjetsingh, Gomis all come in.  And Long/Lareya wont be cheap.