Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 2/15/2024 at 8:49 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

As some know, when we used to be able to put quotes or the like beside our avatars, I put the source of my board name, quoting directly.

It was when one of our guys was in Scotland, like 15-20 years ago, and some news feed for the club mentioned an "unnamed trialist" with the rest, in a preseason match. Think it was St Johnstone, who are Saints, and it was one of those unformatted Saints feeds, all text. Then musing about it, it could have been when Dasovic was there, or could have been someone else later. 

I think I used my real name for a few years, saw that name, stored it in my head, and then when with a board format change, or after one of my many proverbial bans, I picked it up again.

I know the 'unnamed trialist' that your username is based on. It was at St Johnstone and I do believe Dasovic was still there. Unusual initials lol.

Edited by Ed_S

3 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I know the 'unnamed trialist' that your username is based on. It was at St Johnstone and I do believe Dasovic was still there. Unusual initials lol.

I seem to remember the article being posted here, but It was early 2000’s, and my memory started slipping away a bit in the last ten or so years

LAFC write-up of their 1-0 win over TFC.  https://www.lafc.com/news/lafc-closes-preseason-play-with-1-0-result-over-toronto-fc 

I'm sure John was pleased with the energy.  Aime Mabika subbed on at some point, to score an own-goal.  Safe to say the trialists were not attacking threats...

"LAFC kept the ball in Toronto’s half for most of the game’s first 45 minutes, with Lloris playing well beyond his 18-yard box."

"In the 84th minute Lloris made a diving save on the first shot on target he had faced to that point."

6 hours ago, Alex said:

I admit I don’t know how Long plays but it seems like he doesn’t have many appearances over the years?

He has 210 professional club appearances in 12 years. Averages about 18 games a season. 40 appearances in the last 2 years in the Championship - likely a better league than MLS (and certainly on a better team than TFC).

I do wonder why he's always only playing about half the games though.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, kacbru said:

LAFC write-up of their 1-0 win over TFC.  https://www.lafc.com/news/lafc-closes-preseason-play-with-1-0-result-over-toronto-fc 

I'm sure John was pleased with the energy.  Aime Mabika subbed on at some point, to score an own-goal.  Safe to say the trialists were not attacking threats...

"LAFC kept the ball in Toronto’s half for most of the game’s first 45 minutes, with Lloris playing well beyond his 18-yard box."

"In the 84th minute Lloris made a diving save on the first shot on target he had faced to that point."

TFC write-up about the final preseason game here: https://www.torontofc.ca/news/reds-show-positivity-in-last-preseason-match-vs-lafc-the-team-spirits-there-ther

"Despite the result, head coach John Herdman was pleased with the outing.

"Really happy with the performance,” he said post-match. “The result sometimes doesn't reflect the performance and as coaches you’ve got to be happy with what you see out there: effort, tactical cohesion. We were able to put out maybe not our best lineup yet, but close to it and we really competed.”

"The starting group included Bernardeschi, Alonso Coello, Deybi Flores, Kobe Franklin, Sean Johnson, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Jonathan Osorio, Shane O’Neill, Raoul Petretta, and a pair of trialists. 

Ayo Akinola and Sigurd Rosted replaced O’Neill and a trialist after 30 minutes; Mabika came on for Petretta at half-time.

Luke Singh, Prince Owusu, Tyrese Spicer, and Kosi Thompson all saw action in the final 20 minutes."

Seems like a bit of dissonance between the bolded text above - or maybe that's John being brutally honest about the prospects for the year - close to the best lineup they can muster includes two random dudes they pulled off the street (Ventura County FC???).

11 hours ago, kacbru said:

Seems like a bit of dissonance between the bolded text above - or maybe that's John being brutally honest about the prospects for the year - close to the best lineup they can muster includes two random dudes they pulled off the street (Ventura County FC???).

Or perhaps that's why it was just something like the preferred starting line up instead of the actual starting line up.

"Really happy with the performance,” he said post-match. “The result sometimes doesn't reflect the performance and as coaches you’ve got to be happy with what you see out there: effort, tactical cohesion."

I'm genuinely curious to see how long the motivational language and attitide will work for John at club level. A close relative of mine saw him speak at a corporate event years back and he was dazzling. Would it be any different, though, if you heard a version of the same speech every evening, I wonder?

I genuinely want him to have success, though; a strong TFC is good for soccer in general in this country, from youth development and opportunities, to public attitudes towards the game and even the conditions for national team and future national team players.

13 hours ago, kacbru said:

Welcome to the new spinoff of The Masked SingerThe Masked Striker!

21 minutes ago, nolando said:

"Really happy with the performance,” he said post-match. “The result sometimes doesn't reflect the performance and as coaches you’ve got to be happy with what you see out there: effort, tactical cohesion."

I'm genuinely curious to see how long the motivational language and attitide will work for John at club level. A close relative of mine saw him speak at a corporate event years back and he was dazzling. Would it be any different, though, if you heard a version of the same speech every evening, I wonder?

I genuinely want him to have success, though; a strong TFC is good for soccer in general in this country, from youth development and opportunities, to public attitudes towards the game and even the conditions for national team and future national team players.

I think if the results don't improve eventually players will tune it out.

31 minutes ago, nolando said:

This year's team is almost the same as last year's team.  Last year, the team earned 18 points in the first half of the season and then 4 points in the second half.  That wasn't because the team radically changed, it was because the team gave up.

This tells me two things.  First, the team is not as bad as their Wooden Spoon finish would indicate.  I'm not suggesting they are Cup contenders, but there's enough talent on the squad for a more mid-table finish.  Second, that motivation and getting the most out of the players is what will decide what finish we actually see.  I think Herdman's skill set is well suited to that task.

Overall, what I hope to see this season is a team that still probably finishes something like 10th in the East and out of the playoffs but that fights hard and establishes a solid mindset so that it is in a good place when we clear out all the deadweight contracts for the following season.

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

This year's team is almost the same as last year's team.  Last year, the team earned 18 points in the first half of the season and then 4 points in the second half.  That wasn't because the team radically changed, it was because the team gave up.

This tells me two things.  First, the team is not as bad as their Wooden Spoon finish would indicate.  I'm not suggesting they are Cup contenders, but there's enough talent on the squad for a more mid-table finish.  Second, that motivation and getting the most out of the players is what will decide what finish we actually see.  I think Herdman's skill set is well suited to that task.

Overall, what I hope to see this season is a team that still probably finishes something like 10th in the East and out of the playoffs but that fights hard and establishes a solid mindset so that it is in a good place when we clear out all the deadweight contracts for the following season.

They will finish 12th at best.

18 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

They will finish 12th at best.

Could be.  Last season there were three points separating 8th and 13th in the East so it can be very tight.  For this season, I'm not so much concerned about the exact position of finish as I am about the team mentality and fight.  This year is about correcting the foundational problem so that next year they can bring better players into a team that already has a winning attitude.

4 minutes ago, Kingston said:

They need an additional international slot for Kevin Long.  I'm not sure why this is something you'd find odd about MLS?

I'm taking the piss out of MLS' stupid type of trades/rules

I'm well aware of why they did this

Not sure why you are so defensive about it. Did I hurt you personally?

Edited by narduch