Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

17 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

"Trialist"

Congrats on your official debut for TFC, @Unnamed Trialist 😃

As some know, when we used to be able to put quotes or the like beside our avatars, I put the source of my board name, quoting directly.

It was when one of our guys was in Scotland, like 15-20 years ago, and some news feed for the club mentioned an "unnamed trialist" with the rest, in a preseason match. Think it was St Johnstone, who are Saints, and it was one of those unformatted Saints feeds, all text. Then musing about it, it could have been when Dasovic was there, or could have been someone else later. 

I think I used my real name for a few years, saw that name, stored it in my head, and then when with a board format change, or after one of my many proverbial bans, I picked it up again.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Luke Singh starting a friendly 11 days before the start of the season is interesting.

Also don't think I've ever seen a line up in alphabetical order. :)

I'm guessing the alphabetical order was a way to disguise the Trialist's position. Even though you can figure out it's a defender based on the roster, but without the formation, is it a CB or a WB

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As some know, when we used to be able to put quotes or the like beside our avatars, I put the source of my board name, quoting directly.

It was when one of our guys was in Scotland, like 15-20 years ago, and some news feed for the club mentioned an "unnamed trialist" with the rest, in a preseason match. Think it was St Johnstone, who are Saints, and it was one of those unformatted Saints feeds, all text. Then musing about it, it could have been when Dasovic was there, or could have been someone else later. 

I think I used my real name for a few years, saw that name, stored it in my head, and then when with a board format change, or after one of my many proverbial bans, I picked it up again.

I was going to call you by your first name in my post, but stuck with your stage name.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks, it helps me keep up that tone of light-hearted irony that infuses my presence here.

However, if you piss me off, I WILL call you by your first name on here.

Don't mess with me!!! (just kidding 🤣)

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

I'm guessing the alphabetical order was a way to disguise the Trialist's position. Even though you can figure out it's a defender based on the roster, but without the formation, is it a CB or a WB

Any chance that it is Nimick?

Here are the two big points for TFC going into the season

Herdman will need at least half a season to figure out the proper coaching and management of the squad...hes a rookie as a professional team head coach and its very different from national team...much more training sessions,load management and you cant just call another quality player from somewhere in the world when youre out of players in a positions...you need to figure things out...if you play a weak player in that position how do you make up for it tactically...theres also the recruiting but thats probably more hernandez but surely herdman will have a say in it

The DP's are a big question mark...they werent good enough last year, will they be this year? if all three of your dps are not good enough it doesnt really matter how good the rest of your squad is...and if they dont perform, when do they get rid of them? midway or at the end of the season??

2 hours ago, narduch said:

He was on the bench for Birmingham's February 13 match. So he probably wasn't one of the Trialist from yesterday's games.

The team badly needs CB help

But this feels like a 2013 MLS move

In this day and age 33 is not old especially at the position he plays , if he stays healthy he should be good for this season and two more after this . I actually like this move , the guy has some very good experience playing in the EPL for a few years and the Championship. Remember he is coming to play in the MLS not one of the top 5 leagues in the world so he should be more than ok as long as he wants to play . A very good move , however they need another Center Back maybe a proven MLS player back there  he can pair with .

Edited by SoccMan

2 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

In this day and age 33 is not old especially at the position he plays , if he stays healthy he should be good for this season and two more after this . I actually like this move , the guy has some very good experience playing in the EPL for a few years and the Championship. Remember he is coming to play in the MLS not one of the top 5 leagues in the world so he should be more than ok as long as he wants to play . A very good move , however they need another Center Back maybe a proven MLS player back there  he can pair with .

It’s not a good move as he is injury prone. MLS will tear this guy up. Another stupid Bob Bradley type move.

TFC season opener on the 25th...I definitely can't wait because not only do I bleed red when it comes to the MLS being a TFC fan but I definitely wanna see what John Herdman can do as manager especially with a team at full strength with a full season under his belt because I wanna see if he makes us a better team 

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In a twitter thread on Eustaquio, someone suggested he was one of the TFC trialists.

I think someone would have seen him and noticed, first of all. And second: if you wanted him you would not ask him to trial, you'd negotiate the loan straight out with Porto. 

Eustaquio isn't the kind of player that even needs to trial anywhere either 

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

Eustaquio isn't the kind of player that even needs to trial anywhere either 

I guess that was what I was trying to say. 

It is odd he wasn't even dressed for last match. But for me odder that TFC can't say who is trialling. I mean, they probably deliver a player list to the ref. If he was involved in violent conduct they could sanction him, if he tore his ACL there'd be medical and insurance liability. He is named and they know who he is.

I never got the anonymous trialist business, maybe why I liked it for my name here, because it is faux discreet, when the frigging guy is on the pitch with you. I mean, if you asked the guy is he supposed to lie, not say his name? Do they not introduce him to the boys. Or do they all agree to call him Lionel Richie or Herbie Hancock?

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

I always thought it was a media thing, they are bringing the guy in, working on a deal and if it falls through.....POOF.  Its like it never happened and they dont have to explain stuff to the fans why Forlan never signed with the club.  HEHEHE,  

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I always thought it was a media thing, they are bringing the guy in, working on a deal and if it falls through.....POOF.  Its like it never happened and they dont have to explain stuff to the fans why Forlan never signed with the club.  HEHEHE,  

Forlan was trialing at Valour, people have such short memories. 

Seriously, if it were a media thing, then you are proving your media are extremely poor, because you are assuming not one will go up to someone and say, "excuse me, who are you?". Or are able to ask. Or can look and figure it out.