Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

Looking at that disgusting field and that listless bunch with their socks rolled down, gave me certain satisfaction to see TFC erased. 

Especially that field. Who owns it again? That is what they are rolling out for MLS, for Messi, for Canada vs Panama next week, it's disgraceful. I did not start watching today with a hate for TFC on, and Inter did not do much at all, but that pitch. Screw the organization that grooms it.

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Looking at that disgusting field and that listless bunch with their socks rolled down, gave me certain satisfaction to see TFC erased. 

Especially that field. Who owns it again? That is what they are rolling out for MLS, for Messi, for Canada vs Panama next week, it's disgraceful. I did not start watching today with a hate for TFC on, and Inter did not do much at all, but that pitch. Screw the organization that grooms it.

Organization that basically lied to its fans and said you would never notice that they share the field with a CFL team.

canadian weather+argos+tfc+other events+95% natural field and this was always gonna be the condition of the field at this point...its either you go synthetic and keep all the events or you drop some team/events or you just keep going and get the same field conditions

3 minutes ago, Big_M said:

canadian weather+argos+tfc+other events+95% natural field and this was always gonna be the condition of the field at this point...its either you go synthetic and keep all the events or you drop some team/events or you just keep going and get the same field conditions

I don't see people complaining about the pitch in Montreal 

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

it wasnt this bad the last couple of seasons,they probs cut the budget 

Team got what they deserved this year. 

They have a number of players who are worthy of continuing but need to figure out the Italians. With 6 Dp and U23 spots available, an organization with MLSE behind it could turn this around quickly if they make the right calls.  If not interest will continue to drop significantly even with Sebastian back in the fold where he belongs.

Season in review before moving on to the 2025 thread to talk about rebuilding.

Objectively, this season was a marked improvement over last.  We obtained 68% more points and moved from the bottom to the middle of the table.  We scored over 50% more goals (although we actually gave up two more).  So, overall, it was a better year that last year.

That said, it still has to be rated as a failure overall.  We missed the playoffs again with one of the highest payrolls in the league.  

Somewhere during the preseason discussions, I wrote that this team could finish anywhere from fourth to tenth and that a lot of the difference would come down to how well Herdman could motivate the team.  Initially, things looked very promising with the team going 3-1-1 over our first five games and 6-4-1 over the first third of the season.  Things unfortunately fell apart in the middle third and only stabilized somewhat in the final third. 

Even then, we only needed a literal handful of points in the last few games to make the playoffs.  Instead, the team seemed listless and checked out while going winless in our last five.  About the only game in that stretch where they actually looked decent was the Canadian Championship final.

I'm not sure why Herdman couldn't get more out of the team.  I was never expecting a Cup but, preseason, I did expect more of a sixth place and make the playoffs type of year.  I also don't get why players who are paid, for the most part, at least hundreds of thousands of dollars can't be bothered to self-motivate.

So, overall, we saw a lot more from a very similar line up to last year but still nothing close to the maximum this lineup was capable of.

in the end the team will finish only 3-6 points out of playoffs with a bad squad...there was some bad coaching also but overall herdman gets a passing grade from me...with these dps and an inexperienced gm who hasnt looked good I think if the team makes playoffs in 2025 and 2026 its a success

17 minutes ago, Big_M said:

in the end the team will finish only 3-6 points out of playoffs with a bad squad...there was some bad coaching also but overall herdman gets a passing grade from me...with these dps and an inexperienced gm who hasnt looked good I think if the team makes playoffs in 2025 and 2026 its a success

For me, there's also the question of what would have happened had we made the playoffs.  Yes, I'd rather make them then not, but finishing 9th and getting bounced in the first round isn't really much different. 

What I'm actually interested in is a team that can do more than just squeak in to the playoffs.  They don't have to be Cup favourites but we should be able to discuss them going deep and possibly even winning the Cup if things break well.

Just getting into the playoffs is a really low bar in this league, especially with the DPs and their payroll here as well as other "dead" money player investments.  Even the much lauded Kristian Jack implied such when Herdman first took the job

If the Italians are still here, you are never going to have a proper reset from which to move forward.  Herdandez might be a Titanic deck chair re-shuffle/casualty in this off season but this team needs a true rebuild and a new culture established throughout the playing staff.

19 hours ago, Kingston said:

For me, there's also the question of what would have happened had we made the playoffs.  Yes, I'd rather make them then not, but finishing 9th and getting bounced in the first round isn't really much different. 

What I'm actually interested in is a team that can do more than just squeak in to the playoffs.  They don't have to be Cup favourites but we should be able to discuss them going deep and possibly even winning the Cup if things break well.

I am in the same boat, in fact more so.  IMHO, aiming for 9th, (i.e. 18th in the league) is ridiculous for a team that has the budget Toronto has. It's a failing year if the club is unable to compete for the supporter's shield, full stop. 

Throughout the end of the season, I was fearing that Toronto would indeed make the playoffs, string 2-3 wins together and the club come out and say this year was a success.

Edited by Metro

53 minutes ago, Metro said:

I am in the same boat, in fact more so.  IMHO, aiming for 9th, (i.e. 18th in the league) is ridiculous for a team that has the budget Toronto has. It's a failing year if the club is unable to compete for the supporter's shield, full stop. 

I'm hopeful that once Insigne's contract is done, TFC will make more intelligent use of their budget.  They are clearly willing to spend on the team, which is great for us as fans.  Dropping a ridiculous amount on one player does distort the overall spending picture, however.  Yes, they are one of the highest spending teams in the league but they aren't getting nearly as much bang for their buck as they could be.

3 hours ago, Metro said:

Throughout the end of the season, I was fearing that Toronto would indeed make the playoffs, string 2-3 wins together and the club come out and say this year was a success.

Good dose of reality.  Thanks.