Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

As a TFC fan, it's great we finally have two solid options.  As a Canada fan, I'm a bit nervous Gavran's growth will be stunted.  Although with Johnson away with USA and TFC making a run at the Canadian Championship, he should get a fair amount of starts this season.

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

As a TFC fan, it's great we finally have two solid options.  As a Canada fan, I'm a bit nervous Gavran's growth will be stunted.  Although with Johnson away with USA and TFC making a run at the Canadian Championship, he should get a fair amount of starts this season.

Gavran will definitely start 

That was just not acceptable.

I know we were without our captain, but the team has to find a way to win when Osorio isn't around.

Last year game 18 was a draw against Nashville to bring us to 19 points.  We are at +5 on the season.

Last year from here on out the only other points we picked up in the entire campaign was a game 27 win against Philly.  So we should really be able to start opening the gap on last year.  So long as we stop playing like that last game.

Edited by Kingston

3 hours ago, Kingston said:

I know we were without our captain, but the team has to find a way to win when Osorio isn't around.Last year game 18 was a draw against Nashville to bring us to 19 points.  We are at +5 on the season.Last year from here on out the only other points we picked up in the entire campaign was a game 27 win against Philly.  So we should really be able to start opening the gap on last year.  So long as we stop playing like that last game.

Come on, you know Oso is just a passenger and doesnt do anything. Funny that with Long, Petretta, Rosted, COello, Flores...all regular starters, the defense was complete shit.  And by the second half the effort wasnt even there.  Coello and Etienne Jr in particular did not handle their defensive duties at all.  They should sit after embarassing performances like that.  It is funny that Herdman was so angry..what did he expect, did he not watch this team last year?? Defense is the problem.  Plus not having players that are naturally motivated to run through walls for their country is frustrating.  But being a master motivator,  here is where he needs to prove it. Dont let the team slip into malasise like last year, get a strong hand on things, punish the guys half assing it and grind out some points, especially at home.  

58 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It is funny that Herdman was so angry..what did he expect, did he not watch this team last year?? Defense is the problem.  Plus not having players that are naturally motivated to run through walls for their country is frustrating.  But being a master motivator,  here is where he needs to prove it. Dont let the team slip into malasise like last year, get a strong hand on things, punish the guys half assing it and grind out some points, especially at home.  

Yes.  Herdman did a great job of getting the guys to buy in at the start of the season.  Now he has to continue that motivation in the face of a little adversity.

4 hours ago, Kingston said:

Yes.  Herdman did a great job of getting the guys to buy in at the start of the season.  Now he has to continue that motivation in the face of a little adversity.

What it is now one win in their last 8 games I think? Has the downfall started ? Put up another bad performance on Wednesday night against Nashville and we could be looking at 2023 all over again .It’s also time for people to stop using the excuse of not having the full roster and missing players and therefore waiting for them to put their best 11 out there . By the time that happens and if it ever will this team will be more or less out of the playoff picture that even having their so called best 11 won’t put them back in the playoff picture . The concerning thing is just how bad they looked against Chicago on Saturday and in a lot of games since their last win back in May .

10 hours ago, Kingston said:

I know we were without our captain, but the team has to find a way to win when Osorio isn't around.

Last year game 18 was a draw against Nashville to bring us to 19 points.  We are at +5 on the season.

Last year from here on out the only other points we picked up in the entire campaign was a game 27 win against Philly.  So we should really be able to start opening the gap on last year.  So long as we stop playing like that last game.

The team plays better without passenger Oso. You actually think this fraud makes this team better? That is just laughable. Bernardeschi & Lareya are integral to this team’s success. Without them, there is no chance of playoffs. Overall, it was just an off night from the entire team. 

Edited by anthony7

13 hours ago, anthony7 said:

The team plays better without passenger Oso. You actually think this fraud makes this team better? That is just laughable. Bernardeschi & Lareya are integral to this team’s success. Without them, there is no chance of playoffs. Overall, it was just an off night from the entire team. 

Mental midget.

14 hours ago, SoccMan said:

What it is now one win in their last 8 games I think? Has the downfall started ? Put up another bad performance on Wednesday night against Nashville and we could be looking at 2023 all over again .It’s also time for people to stop using the excuse of not having the full roster and missing players and therefore waiting for them to put their best 11 out there . By the time that happens and if it ever will this team will be more or less out of the playoff picture that even having their so called best 11 won’t put them back in the playoff picture . The concerning thing is just how bad they looked against Chicago on Saturday and in a lot of games since their last win back in May .

One win in our last seven (and four in our last ten).  So, yes, definitely a slide.  I'm not yet ready to call it 2023 all over again, however, because I think the players are still bought in at this point.  I think last game was just a bad game.  They happen.  But it will be key to make sure things turn around and don't go the way of 2023.  (I also think we need to remember that this is a fourth/sixth place team, not a contender.  So we are going to have losses.)

Losses are one thing, lack of effort, throwing in the towel and letting guys walk right into the box and blast it by your young keeper...eeeshhhh.  Wheres the pride, where is the effort?  Who was the captain there...where was the leadership on the field??  The sad thing is that most of the team just quit on Dunfield last year and it was a huge nosedive to the bottom of the league. Games like that one make me wonder if its happening again.  The GLOW from a new coach has worn off quickly, now Herdman has to prove he can actually motivate people.  As my grampa always told me, "everyones your friend when its going good", When the real leaders on the team are gone (Oso/Lareya) whos going to step up and get the dirty jobs done? 

Tonight's game is at home against Nashville.

We lost 0-2 in Nashville earlier this season.  If we win tonight, we will tie up the all time series with our friends from Tennessee.

I have to imagine that Herdman will have made it very clear to the players what is required after the Chicago fiasco.

It appears that neither Shaffelburg (international duty) nor MacNaughton (ankle injury) will be stepping back onto their former home field tonight.

This game (and all other MLS games tonight) is free on Apple TV.