Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 5/28/2024 at 1:43 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I think it was reported that Laryea is making the trip to Philly but won't play until the DC match on Saturday. Not quite sure why they are taking him when he's a suspension risk when he attends matches he doesn't play in. ;)

With the new coach? If think they'd want to get everyone there to get and get on the same page whether they play or not. 

Ends 0-0 but in all honesty we should have beat the Union last night especially due to the scoring chances we had especially one where Berna should have scored off that good pass but he skies it

But we get a point...okay we move

Now we have to play again on Saturday away in DC at DC United...now this is a game where we actually can't afford to drop points 

I only saw the highlights but I suspect the players will be disappointed not to have come away with three points.  On another night Bernardeschi scores at least two of those and it's an easy win.  Still, a draw on the road is acceptable for this game.

Game sixteen last year was a draw at home with Chicago to bring us to 17 points.  We are therefore still at +6 on the season.  More notably, our current total of 23 points is one ahead of last year's final total of 22.  No matter what happens from here on in, this year will be better than last year.

Next up, DC on Saturday.

Saturday’s game is away to DC United.  

DC is not doing super well this year and is not currently in great form.  They currently sit one place out of the playoffs - so not terrible, but not good, either. 

Herdman should have something very like his first choice lineup available for this match for the first time in a long while.  If TFC is going to show that it is something more than just a playoff team, this is an away game that we strongly want to win.

3 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Saturday’s game is away to DC United.  

DC is not doing super well this year and is not currently in great form.  They currently sit one place out of the playoffs - so not terrible, but not good, either. 

Herdman should have something very like his first choice lineup available for this match for the first time in a long while.  If TFC is going to show that it is something more than just a playoff team, this is an away game that we strongly want to win.

Given the quality of our team and how we have been playing under Herdman, we should be beating DC United

love him or hate him it went from bad to complete disaster last year once Michael Bradley went down...with him they got 8 points in the first 7 games including a single loss(would have been more points if it wasnt for Bob Bradleys overall extremely poor second half coaching and Osorio not marking his player in the loss)...after that it was a complete breakdown with 11 points in 17 mls games + a loss in the voyageurs cup + two losses in the leagues cup...when Bradley returned he obviously wasnt 100% and most of the time they ridiculously forced him at cb lol

I  didn’t realize Insigne would still be away. 

So, an extremely disappointing draw.  The last couple of games were good opportunities to evaluate our progress.   We scored a lot but also coughed up late goals in both matches resulting in dropping three points combined in injury time.  To me, this says we are still just a playoff team and not yet a contender.  

Looking a little deeper, I’d suggest our biggest challenge is defending.  Overall, our goals for matches up well with the top teams in both conferences but those same teams have generally given up half a dozen few goals.  As we’ve seen, that can mean a big points swing. 

Game seventeen last year was a draw away to Minnesota so we remain at +6 on the year. 

On 5/30/2024 at 5:56 PM, An Observer said:

Also crazy that last year they had 17 points at this point and only got 5 more the rest of the year.

So should Toronto fans be on the lookout for a mid-season implosion?  :cool:

Posted (edited)

The people who do the MLS website's power rankings had this very correct comment about our last game:

"Bernardeschi had a goal and an assist in the draw, but Toronto need him on the field. Missing time to avoidable double yellows can’t happen."

Next up we host Chicago.  The Fire have only fifteen points on the season but five in their last three games.  

We should have most of our preferred starting line up minus Bernardeschi and Owusu. Edit:  I forgot about international duty.  So a couple more absences.  Still:

This is simply a game we have to win even just to be a mid-table team.  No excuses, no errors, just a win.

Edited by Kingston