Toronto FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

24 minutes ago, Big_M said:

lately? its been years...last year they had 10+ players out per game for a number of games...when it happens so often its not about luck

I thought the same as you.  It seemed like they had a disproportionate number of injury issues for a natural turf team.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought the same as you.  It seemed like they had a disproportionate number of injury issues for a natural turf team.

But they practice on turf a lot due to playing in a country like Canada.

I didn't get to watch the entire game.

A loss is clearly a negative.  I knew we'd lose eventually but thought we had a good chance to win this one first.  

A huge positive for JMR to get his first MLS goal.  Considering how many appearances he has, I was surprised to realize it was his first.

I was also impressed that the team continued to fight until the end.  Last season this would have been over when New York took the lead.

On the downside, we once again failed to score a "routine" goal.  It was a great play by JMR off a nice pass on the goal we did get, but that's not a reproduceable approach to scoring.  We need to be able to build up a play that results in a goal, not hope for low percentage opportunities.

Also the injuries.  Not sure why we so often seem to have key players out but it's not helpful.

Last year game four was a win over Miami which brought us to 5 points on the season.  We are currently at 7 so we are +2 on the year.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:33 PM, BearcatSA said:

It would be worthwhile compare the injury situation TFC has to a team like NER.

They look fairly similar:
  • OUT: Brandon Bye (knee)
  • OUT: Dylan Borrero (knee)
  • OUT: Peyton Miller (foot)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Carles Gil (Achilles)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Nacho Gil (knee)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Henry Kessler (adductor)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Matt Polster (hamstring)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Bobby Wood (knee)
Toronto FC logo
Toronto FC
  • OUT: Nicksoen Gomis (wrist)
  • OUT: Sean Johnson (thigh)
  • OUT: Richie Laryea (thigh)
  • OUT: Brandon Servania (knee)
  • OUT: Jonathan Osorio (hip)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Deybi Flores (groin)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Kevin Long (foot)
  • QUESTIONABLE: Raoul Petretta (groin)
  •  

Injuries aside, that was a good game.  Great to see the team create so much offensively rather than rely on a single moment of brilliance to score.

Although he did get a decent head on it, it was too bad Kerr didn't score following all those back-heel passes by the Italians; that would have been a highlight reel goal for sure.

Last season game five was a draw away to San Jose to get us to six points.  We are now at +4 on the season.

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Perhaps a good competition between him and Spicer for that spot?  

Considering that Laryea is also out (and for even longer than Insigne), I can see JMR staying in that spot, and perhaps Kerr playing where Insigne was since TFC still has a glut of unproductive #9's they need to get off the shneid who can play as a #9. Prince Owusu scored a goal last week that pretty much anyone reading this board could have tapped in, but perhaps it will give him some confidence. Most likely it won't make a difference to his quality on the pitch, but I've been wrong before...

3 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Considering that Laryea is also out (and for even longer than Insigne), I can see JMR staying in that spot, and perhaps Kerr playing where Insigne was since TFC still has a glut of unproductive #9's they need to get off the shneid who can play as a #9. Prince Owusu scored a goal last week that pretty much anyone reading this board could have tapped in, but perhaps it will give him some confidence. Most likely it won't make a difference to his quality on the pitch, but I've been wrong before...

I think we'll see Marshall-Rutty remain in his spot at wingback replacing Laryea so I agree with you that Kerr might get shifted over, or Herdman choses to give his first overall draft pick an extended run of starts there.

tied for second in the league in the number of players out for matchday 7 with 5 players out...miami has 7 and dallas and dc also have 5...feels like it could only grow or stay the same for the game next week at vancouver as at least 3-4 of these are still out for weeks...and then bc place is artificial turf...

image.png.252df245d2bfaddf434feaa479621b9e.png

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

tied for second in the league in the number of players out for matchday 7 with 5 players out...miami has 7 and dallas and dc also have 5...feels like it could only grow or stay the same for the game next week at vancouver as at least 3-4 of these are still out for weeks...and then bc place is artificial turf...

image.png.252df245d2bfaddf434feaa479621b9e.png

make that 6 players out as johnson who was listed as questionable is also out...