CF Montreal - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

That was... broadly solid all things considered. Like, I'd be far happier if Martinez and Oppoku had converted their chances and/or we hadn't needed the linesman and VAR to keep our tie but this is a new team still figuring stuff out who went to the home of a title contender and got a result out of it, and by no means looked outclassed overall.

Give the team more time to build chemistry and/or a lesser opponent and ods are we punch through in our early excellent moments and win this. The alarm bells from the game against the Rowdies are no longer there and my cautious optimism for this season has been reinforced :)

EDIT: Some cover from the French Canadian media. They essentially say its still a work in progress but that the club is showing great sign as to what the final product will look like.

https://www.rds.ca/soccer/cfm/mls-le-cf-montreal-fait-match-nul-0-0-contre-a-orlando-city-1.18278135

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2024-02-24/orlando-0-montreal-0/une-saison-qui-promet.php

Edited by phil03

That Uruguayan striker Coccaro (sp?) looked pretty good, and seems a master of South American dark arts.  And only one game, but Choiniere is much better than Yankov.  Waterman and Sirois both looked great.  Best game I've seen from Piette in years.  Hopefully he's over his injuries because he looked great.  That version of Piette is the one @BearcatSA and I want to see sitting in front of our CBs. 😄 

18 minutes ago, Ivan said:

That Uruguayan striker Coccaro (sp?) looked pretty good, and seems a master of South American dark arts.  And only one game, but Choiniere is much better than Yankov.  Waterman and Sirois both looked great.  Best game I've seen from Piette in years.  Hopefully he's over his injuries because he looked great.  That version of Piette is the one @BearcatSA and I want to see sitting in front of our CBs. 😄 

Indeed, Coccaro did pretty much everything except put it in the net, so to speak. As for Yankov, that is to be expected: he isn't meant to be a top player in the team like Choinière but only a quality substitute (he got to start due to Saliba nursing an injury). Agreed on Waterman and Sirois, especially the later who seem to have started things back where he left. On Piette, honestly this reinforce me in the ideas that a) having Loturi fill the defensive midfielder niche with CMNT is premature and Piette still has some years in the picture and b) just like Quioto, him not being injured alone would have made last year significantly better, with probably a canchamp and sixth or seventh place in the east as a result.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

Best game I've seen from Piette in years.  Hopefully he's over his injuries because he looked great.  That version of Piette is the one @BearcatSA and I want to see sitting in front of our CBs. 😄 

From the stretches I was able to watch, I thought he did a solid job out there and if he continues in similar form up to the playoff match, he will have made a strong case to play in that particular role to join Eustaquio and Koné.

On 2/25/2024 at 9:38 AM, phil03 said:

Indeed, Coccaro did pretty much everything except put it in the net, so to speak. As for Yankov, that is to be expected: he isn't meant to be a top player in the team like Choinière but only a quality substitute (he got to start due to Saliba nursing an injury). Agreed on Waterman and Sirois, especially the later who seem to have started things back where he left. On Piette, honestly this reinforce me in the ideas that a) having Loturi fill the defensive midfielder niche with CMNT is premature and Piette still has some years in the picture and b) just like Quioto, him not being injured alone would have made last year significantly better, with probably a canchamp and sixth or seventh place in the east as a 

Edited by anthony7

On 2/25/2024 at 9:14 AM, Ivan said:

What did Caldwell or Wileman say about Yankov with relation to CANMNT?

Edited by anthony7

24 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Terrible decision by referee.

Gotta see the replays properly, but on first glance that looked like a terrible reversed VAR call.  Not to mention 8+ minutes on a planned 5 after the first 45?  

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Gotta see the replays properly, but on first glance that looked like a terrible reversed VAR call.  Not to mention 8+ minutes on a planned 5 after the first 45?  

TBH even the five minutes was dubious IMO...

But hey, so far so good thanks to Martinez :P

The little moment between the veteran (Martinez) and the newbie (Vilsaint) after the second goal was nice too :)

2-1 win. By no means a perfect game but they got the three points away against opponents that are by no means easy customers.

Highlights are Vilsaint standing up and Sirois being an absolute beast in net. Hopefully none of the injuries are serious.

God I am looking forward to the referee lock out being over though...

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Anyone know when Saliba is expected back from injury?

He seems to be on a game-per-game decision basis as to when he comes back so while we don't have any details it thankfully seem he won't be out too long.

We looked great for the first 15-20 minutes but despite the scoreline, the game felt slow and messy. Good teams grind out results and that's what tonight was. I don't think we'll fully see what Courtois has planned in terms of playstyle for a while (until we play at home at least), but the team is definitely bought into what he's preaching.

Also, I think Edwards looks great every time he plays, and was a huge part of closing out the game tonight. He needs to start. 

Wanyama...oof. Hope I'm wrong but he really seems to be at the end 

Edited by Chad_Impact

49 minutes ago, phil03 said:

3-2 against a Miami without Messi but with plenty of his buddies with massive careers. It definitely wasn't the cleanest of win but we are like life in Jurassic Park: we find a way :P

Posted it in the wrong thread but these were my original thoughts on it. I'd argue is part of being a good team too: even when you don't provide your best performance you still somehow carve yourself a path to three points.