CF Montreal - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 8/7/2024 at 3:43 PM, Ivan said:

More loans to CPL hopefully. 

Not sure that would work - if a player isn't with their academy, they would presumably have to sign him to the first team before loaning him out, and that would eat into the salary cap and I can't see CPL teams willing to take on much of those salaries.

Heard from a couple of players that the big driver of the change is the need to fund the new women's team.

1 minute ago, Protega said:

Not sure that would work - if a player isn't with their academy, they would presumably have to sign him to the first team before loaning him out, and that would eat into the salary cap and I can't see CPL teams willing to take on much of those salaries.

Heard from a couple of players that the big driver of the change is the need to fund the new women's team.

I don't think Saputo is involved in the NSL team

Guess I can tune the Leagues Cup out now until the semi-finals. Not necessarily a bad concept but having every single LigaMX and MLS club involved means there are lots of relatively low quality games happening that nobody really asked for or want to watch. International club competitions are supposed to be about seeing how the best clubs that each league have to offer match up.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 8/10/2024 at 7:42 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Guess I can tune the Leagues Cup out now until the semi-finals. Not necessarily a bad concept but having every single LigaMX and MLS club involved means there are lots of relatively low quality games happening that nobody really asked for or want to watch. International club competitions are supposed to be about seeing how the best clubs that each league have to offer match up.

Yeah I really couldn't care less about this tournament. 

Just now, BearcatSA said:

Seems like a fire sale of guys who do not or may not want to be there.

And/or guys who don't deserve to be there ............ like Lassiter. Did nothing for CFM. Duke should be next out. 

56 minutes ago, Ivan said:

And/or guys who don't deserve to be there ............ like Lassiter. Did nothing for CFM. Duke should be next out. 

I don't know, Lassiter has been played at a position that does not suit him at all.  Can't really blame him. 

Duke however, you score 100% on that one.  He just has not come close to expectations.  In his case the issue really seems like it's in his head.  The missed scoring chances, flubbed passes, turnovers, he's just looked really unfocused.

• 2 weeks later...

With Montreal down 0-2 to a weak Rev team and the playoffs on the line, Courtois seems to have finally understood his system is not working. Switched to a 4-2-3-1 for the first time this season. 

Problem is JMR is stuck playing RB for now.

3 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Firing yet another manager for Montreal probably won’t help very much.

the players passing is off, they seem lost out there, just a serious it seems lack of effort.

And Saputo's interference with another manager would likely hurt more than help (Wilfred Nancy anyone??)

10 hours ago, brianjc said:

the players passing is off, they seem lost out there, just a serious it seems lack of effort.

And Saputo's interference with another manager would likely hurt more than help (Wilfred Nancy anyone??)

Excluding the two newest arrivals who have had little time to mesh with their teammates, the performance of the rest of the squad was terrible.  Defensve issues galore, either from the back line's marking to midfielders not tracking opponents' foward runs.  Serious knee issues and attitude have undermined Martinez.  This team needs to be tougher mentally and a foster a collective spirit because right now the body language from some of the key guys is poor and sends a finger pointing/blame game message.

13 hours ago, wallflower said:

Just watched these highlights. WOW. The title for this has to be: ULTIMATE WATERMAN HIGHLIGHTS.

And, clearly goal 2 was his but attributed to Wood.

I know we're excited for our growth at the CB position in recent months but clearly our depth is still a concern if Waterman is continuing to get called up.  I don't watch him regularly but it seems like its mistake after mistake by him on a weekly basis.  Can't blame Rudy anymore and we can't keep blaming others. 

On 9/2/2024 at 1:34 PM, Corazon said:

I know we're excited for our growth at the CB position in recent months but clearly our depth is still a concern if Waterman is continuing to get called up.  I don't watch him regularly but it seems like its mistake after mistake by him on a weekly basis.  Can't blame Rudy anymore and we can't keep blaming others. 

He hasn't played great but honestly nobody looks good for this team right now. The team looks like they're just out there to kick the ball around. There just seems to be no identity or sense of urgency in our game right now.

It's honestly depressing seeing Nancy do so well with the Crew. 

On 9/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, Corazon said:

Rudy is doing very well at Columbus Crew! (and who brought him there?)

• 2 weeks later...