CF Montreal - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

On 3/5/2024 at 8:32 PM, phil03 said:

He seems to be on a game-per-game decision basis as to when he comes back so while we don't have any details it thankfully seem he won't be out too long.

Any update re Saliba?

1 minute ago, phil03 said:

4-3 defeat at the hand of the worse referee performances I have ever seen and should have been 3-0 for us. I honestly think we should lodge an official protest on that one, and as a ref myself once upon a time I don't say this lightly.

That was something.  MLS struggles with officiating when they aren’t using replacement referees.  I’m not even a CFM supporter, but was left angry watching that. 

5 minutes ago, SF said:

That was something.  MLS struggles with officiating when they aren’t using replacement referees.  I’m not even a CFM supporter, but was left angry watching that. 

Yeah, like except for maybe the penalty on Edwards elbow(advise diverge as to whether it was in the box) every single goal by Chicago was down to bad referee decisions in one way or another, whether it was the actual play or ridiculous added time.

Edited by phil03

7 minutes ago, phil03 said:

4-3 defeat at the hand of the worse referee performances I have ever seen and should have been 3-0 for us. I honestly think we should lodge an official protest on that one, and as a ref myself once upon a time I don't say this lightly.

I was playing with the kids and was more focused on that, so i didn't watch the entirety.  I briefly saw a replay of the first Chicago goal, that looked 100% offside.  Did they even review it?  Or was it just a bad angle?    

Just now, costarg said:

I was playing with the kids and was more focused on that, so i didn't watch the entirety.  I briefly saw a replay of the first Chicago goal, that looked 100% offside.  Did they even review it?  Or was it just a bad angle?    

Nope, but on that one I would also add it only happened after utterly unreasonable extra time.

EDIT: Like that's basically my train of thoughts. You make a mistake leading to one goal to the other team? Fine, it happens you are super experimented being a ref at that level I can live with it... You have at least three goals that wouldn't have happened without you making a COMBO of mistakes leading to everyone of them? Yeah, that becomes ridiculous.

Edited by phil03

1 hour ago, mtlfan said:

Duke had another bad game.

He looks really frustrated.  I have to assume he's putting in the work and effort in practice, cause at the games he doesn't look like he belongs in there.

Was curious how Weibe on MLS instant replay would say about the Montreal game.

Said both Montreal PKs were the correct calls. Also pointed out the the Fire goalie should have got a red for handling the ball outside of the box.

As everyone else already knew the first Fire goal was offside. Also said that the red on Edwards was the correct call. Pretty fair evaluation I can accept that he threw an elbow.

Not sure what kind of recourse MLS allows teams for egregious errors, butt like Montreal have a pretty strong case.

13 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Said both Montreal PKs were the correct calls. Also pointed out the the Fire goalie should have got a red for handling the ball outside of the box.

As everyone else already knew the first Fire goal was offside. Also said that the red on Edwards was the correct call. Pretty fair evaluation I can accept that he threw an elbow.

Not sure what kind of recourse MLS allows teams for egregious errors, butt like Montreal have a pretty strong case.

If I know the MLS, then the answer is none.  In fact both the ref and the VAR ref will be given a match this week.

14 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Just like Putin's rivals, they definitely have a case and a cause.  But absolutely nothing will come of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Guelph in quality between them and Seattle, Miami too but we had better luck and better play.

Still a few years away from being a contender but will need 3 actual DP’s. Don’t have to break the bank, lot of depth but not enough high end.

The team is not firing on all cylinders.  A few players just don't seem to be playing to their expected levels.  Choiniere doesn't look like the same player.  Saliba still coming back from injury perhaps.  Waterman has taken a few steps back.  Sirois doesn't look as confident.  Dike has fallen off a cliff. 

The CB's are an obvious weak spot and look very vulnerable.  They need at least one solid CB back there, the three legs of the tripod just aren't screwed in or solid enough.  Hopefully some time to develop the partnerships helps, but not looking good at the back.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

The team is not firing on all cylinders.  A few players just don't seem to be playing to their expected levels.  Choiniere doesn't look like the same player.  Saliba still coming back from injury perhaps.  Waterman has taken a few steps back.  Sirois doesn't look as confident.  Dike has fallen off a cliff. 

The CB's are an obvious weak spot and look very vulnerable.  They need at least one solid CB back there, the three legs of the tripod just aren't screwed in or solid enough.  Hopefully some time to develop the partnerships helps, but not looking good at the back.

I think there should be at least some consideration given to the fact they've started 6 on the road, and that they really should have gotten at least a draw in Chicago.  Let's see how they look once they've had some home games.

Just now, Watchmen said:

I think there should be at least some consideration given to the fact they've started 6 on the road, and that they really should have gotten at least a draw in Chicago.  Let's see how they look once they've had some home games.

Agreed, yet even in the wins I feel they weren't quite rolling.  Like you said, still early, could change once the get home.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agreed, yet even in the wins I feel they weren't quite rolling.  Like you said, still early, could change once the get home.

Sure, though it's also a new manager/system.  So early season results were always going to involved things taking time to come together.  I was impressed they were getting results at all, and let's be honest that win at Miami is still pretty huge - it's a difficult game most teams won't get points from (depending on Messi's health, of course).

8 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sure, though it's also a new manager/system.  So early season results were always going to involved things taking time to come together.  I was impressed they were getting results at all, and let's be honest that win at Miami is still pretty huge - it's a difficult game most teams won't get points from (depending on Messi's health, of course).

I watched the full Seattle match.  Tbh, I thought they played well in the first half, probably better than Seattle.  They were undone by a deflected ball that never would have scored if it wasn't deflected and a foolish penalty that wouldnt have resulted in a goal if Wateman didn't stick his foot in.  Other than that, Seattle only created one decent chance that Sirois stopped.  And Montreal looked the more dangerous side, especially on the counter and had a few half chances themselves.

Then they went down 3-0 early in the second and Saliba got sent off shortly thereafter.  The match was then over.

Of course, you can make the point that they were undone by two bonehead plays by two (unfortunately Canadian) players but as a team they were competitive until the game was out of reach.

And as someone said above, this is the 6th match in a row on the road, they should have got something out out of the Chicago match and they were definitely a bit unlucky to get behind in this one.