CF Montreal - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Losada gone...thought he actually overachieved with the bad squad he had

https://twitter.com/cfmontreal/status/1722615704594321693?t=-xwKBWAgCvzzTrJ9drQImA&s=19

The issue was he refused to play half his squad cause of his arrogance and stubbornness, including his only DP.  No one wanted to play for him anymore, and it's understandable.  He could not, or would not adapt to his team and players. He only knows and understands one system and only Choiniere was able to match the output he expected match after match.  He burnt all his bridges, benched like 7-8 guys for speaking their minds.  Same happened at DC, he obviously did not learn, it was inevitable.  

What he did to his players is unfair, he needs to be humbled.  The guy sounds great in front of the media, knows exactly what to day.  He must be great at interviews, but what he says and what he does are two completely different things.

Can see the 3 top considerations for this job being Bobby (Forge), MDS (LAFC) and Pah (Charlotte).  

Bobby will be a serious option given the agency Axia and Montreal essentially work hand in hand.  

MDS would be an interesting homecoming of sorts, clearly a very strong #2, will he get a chance to redeem his time at VWFC?

Pah would be an intriguing choice, worked in VWFC and Pacific so knows the Canadian pool very well, known to be a very good player manager that get's buy-in from players.  Good experience with FCD, FCC and Charlotte.  

Jacen Russel-Rowe I am not sure. I know he has a good rep here but I haven't been overly impressed by either his work for country or his performances against MTL in MLS. Moreover, I still have the stupid red card he got for messing around with Losada and him coming back on the pitch to make a scene in mind...

A thousand yes on Shaffelburg though! THAT is our Mihailovich replacement ladies and gents! And he come with the advantage of being Canadian on top of it. With MTL having proven good at helping players get to the next level this could easily be a win-win-win situation between the player, the club and the national team.

Edited by phil03

11 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think Russell-Rowe is fantastic, and the sticker they need. He’s buried in Columbus but he’s got 15 goal potential.

i like Shaf but let them play an academy kid.

Sirois, Saliba, Choinière (if he sticks around and doesn't get a shot at a higher level) and Vilsaint are all academy kids who will probably play a key role next year. IMO we are providing plenty of spaces for them and investing for one or two big pieces elsewhere with the money gotten in transfers would be pretty fair and bring balance. Especially if, like Shafelburg, you have a good chance at selling him with a profit at a higher level of play, which would do the CMNT a solid.

Edited by phil03

I get the wider feeling of wanting clubs to do what's better for the CMNT, as I am Canada-Impact-Ottawa in that order myself, but honestly expecting them to always do so is not a fair expectation IMO. They have to look for their interests too, and that is true of both CPL and MLS clubs. In the grand scheme of things MTL has still done more then any other club for Canadian Soccer in recent years by a fairly descent margin.

Besides, the latest time MTL got a Canadian from another MLS club it was Johnston and it worked pretty well for country... 

Edited by phil03

On 11/11/2023 at 9:19 AM, phil03 said:

Jacen Russel-Rowe I am not sure. I know he has a good rep here but I haven't been overly impressed by either his work for country or his performances against MTL in MLS. Moreover, I still have the stupid red card he got for messing around with Losada and him coming back on the pitch to make a scene in mind...

A thousand yes on Shaffelburg though! THAT is our Mihailovich replacement ladies and gents! And he come with the advantage of being Canadian on top of it. With MTL having proven good at helping players get to the next level this could easily be a win-win-win situation between the player, the club and the national team.

The red card was JMR. Shaffleburg's profile has nothing in common with Djordje, they play different positions and have entirely different skill sets. Back to Jacen, he's barely gotten any game time for the national team and iirc he nearly scored in the Gold Cup as a sub. It is nearly impossible to assess a player in such a limited sample size. One thing about him, he is clinical, finished eighth in goals/90 in the entire league. I like Vilsaint, nimble, pacy and direct. Certainly has the talent to be Montreal's starting striker, though he had some injury issues this season. I'd prefer JRR goes elsewhere for playing time

49 minutes ago, phresh said:

The red card was JMR. Shaffleburg's profile has nothing in common with Djordje, they play different positions and have entirely different skill sets. Back to Jacen, he's barely gotten any game time for the national team and iirc he nearly scored in the Gold Cup as a sub. It is nearly impossible to assess a player in such a limited sample size. One thing about him, he is clinical, finished eighth in goals/90 in the entire league. I like Vilsaint, nimble, pacy and direct. Certainly has the talent to be Montreal's starting striker, though he had some injury issues this season. I'd prefer JRR goes elsewhere for playing time

My bad for JMR but my point about Shaffelburg was broader: IMO what MTL really missed last year was someone in the midfield capable to light the attack up, to give it some speed and get the other guys on the backfoot. I love Choiniere but his talents are elsewhere and the previous year that person was more Mihailovich then Kone. Shaffelburg might not play the exact same position but he can be that guy.

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Ouch.  Cutting bait on Rea and Assi seems super premature.  WTF are our MLS teams doing?

And ZBG?  Bad decisions abound.

Wow, the ZBG one is just as shocking as Rea and Assi.  Unless that's what ZBG wanted, either way, I'm not worried about ZBG, if anything he'll do better elsewhere.

I'm a little worried about what this means for Saliba.  If Renard is doing this without a head coach in place, does this indicate a transition away from youth and towards more veteran players for more immediate success?  That would be a terrible shame as I think Saliba is one of the best projects in the pipeline.  I'd hate to see him nailed to the bench for some 28 year-old journeyman.

15 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I'm a little worried about what this means for Saliba.  If Renard is doing this without a head coach in place, does this indicate a transition away from youth and towards more veteran players for more immediate success?  That would be a terrible shame as I think Saliba is one of the best projects in the pipeline.  I'd hate to see him nailed to the bench for some 28 year-old journeyman.

Hmm, I look at this the opposite way.  You cull the herd, if Rea or Assi are not what fits, let them go and focus on Saliba, Vilsant, Zouhir or the next round of academy kids.   Only so many can be worked in at once and they dont need to stockpile the kids like TFC if they arent going to realistically get games.  I hate to see them cut, but it might be for the best for everyone.  

time to move on for brault and the club...fell to a sub past two seasons...assi we could say is doing ok in cpl and isnt going to be an mls player anytime soon if ever...to be seen on rea if he can bounce back start somewhere in mls and make montreal regret it