Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, reggietfc said:

thk you to the forge for beating tfc.1 fraud gone in manning 2 more to go herdman and insigni

On behalf of Forge, you're welcome. If we win the second leg, maybe #2 will be accomplished, but they're stuck with #3 until the end of that contract. No way they're buying that one out.

Something to keep an eye on.... Stelco who recently invested in Forge and Tiger cats as part of a sale via the caretaker Bob Young were this week potentially taken over by another steel company - who knows if the new owner ( once deal is closed) will retain the interest in the Hamilton sports teams- or may seek to divest.... Time will tell

These announcements are always rosy, we'll have to wait and see. If the company starts having issues, I'm sure all these secondary assets and commitments will be up for review first thing. I can't see an owner with no roots in the community and a focus on a separate business being willing to continue investing in sports businesses that probably provide no income, and are unlikely to see significant growth in value. I'd give it a year and then I bet they start shopping them around.  

The problem when a big multinational corporation is involved is that they are legally obligated to do what is in the best interests of the shareholders and a constant stream of cash calls to shore up the finances of a Canadian pro soccer club would be difficult to justify to pension funds etc in that context. The positive for the Forge is that Stelco's 40% share can be outvoted by Bob Young and the other minority owners.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

Considering Forge's overall attendance and the fact they often get greater crowds for big events (playoffs, Voyageurs Cup, etc), perhaps they aren't a drain in company finances?

It's possible. Hard to know what their non-player costs are, or how much they make in non-ticket revenue. I'd guess that they could be pretty close to break-even. I suspect the Ticats are the same, I think the CFL got their finances in order over the last couple decades. But if they can get any capital from selling them to put into core businesses, there will be pressure to do so.

The 500 lb gorilla in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge at the moment is that Mediapro is leaving at the end of this season. If CanPL now has to pick up the production costs for Onesoccer moving forward with no rights fees payments coming in unlike previously you could easily be looking at low seven figures per team per season as the financial fallout from that. 

1 hour ago, StillOnFire said:

What's the situation with Tristain Henry? Kalongo seems on par with him as a keeper, and younger with more upside. Hamilton should have just let him go... but hindsight and all that.

If he's still under contract, they have no reason to let him walk to another club for free. He'll have to sit out until the end of it or report back.

As mentioned in the original paosts on the topic, Memphis signed a former Houston Dynamo GK, Tyler Deric, this season and he has played every minute for them. He turns 36 next month so nearing the end of his career one would assume. They also seem to have two other American GKs on the books. I doubt Henry will play a minute in 2024, but perhaps they see him as next year's competition for Deric?

Edited by nolando

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke to Poku before the match and he mentioned he had a slight hip injury that he picked up in Saturday's match and aggravated in training this week and was being held out as a precautionary measure, maybe there is a little more to it?