Forge FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to bundling up in February, but wonder what this team will look like. It could be very different, or maybe almost the same. Players I could see possibly moving on: Bekker, James, Choiniere, Borges, Badibenga, Jonsson, Pacius. I have no inside info, but it feels like all these guys could be either looking at retirement, or taking a shot somewhere else to get a chance at moving up. Will Bobby be around? I would guess he will be. I just don't see him fitting with the national team. But maybe some other club opportunity will arise. He has nothing else to achieve in this league.

1 hour ago, Cicero said:

If Smyrniotis goes to the national team, does Edgar go with him, or become Forge's new manager?

New manager. He looked to me to be running the team instead of Bobby the last Forge match in Langley. 100% was being groomed for it.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

CPL league champion. Are any Forge players ready for a move to a higher level? MLS, for example?  I would ask the same question regarding Cavalry as runners up. I like Musse as a candidate.

IMO Paccius is the prime candidate: enough experience to have a track record of good seasons and yet young enough that he could still progress quite significantly in MLS and be sold again for a profit to an even higher level of play.

I think the team sees Poku as the young player with a higher ceiling. Wouldn't be surprised to hear he is trialling again in Europe this off-season. I like Pacius's contributions and I think he could increase his production in the CPL, but I'm not sure he has the tools to make it in MLS. Have to think James will be trying to get a chance somewhere. Probably Klomp as well.  The window is probably closed for most of Forge's key contributors (Borges, Choiniere, Campbell, Jonsson, Samuel, Sissoko). Out of the younger players, I don't see Hojabrpour moving up. I used to think Metusala might have a shot, but he didn't really stand out this season. If Rama could improve his decision making, I think he has the skills and physical ability to move up.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's a bit of a mark against Smyrniotis and the organization as a whole that none of their players have ever made the jump to a higher level. 

• 1 month later...

Just my semi-regular inquiry:

if anyone has a set (or extra set) of either of these Forge player cards that they would part with, please message me.  I have tried every way possible of contacting the club (across multiple platforms) about getting a set but it has been radio silence on all fronts.  I’d love to add them to my 🇨🇦🇨🇦 collection. 

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3245.jpeg

On 12/22/2023 at 6:18 PM, Cicero said:

Also, of course, no explanation of the status of those players mentioned.

They all signed 2-year deals in 22, so I'll assume their contracts expired and are now exploring their options but will have Forge as fallback options. 

42 minutes ago, gator said:

With the departures of James and Pacius and Jonsson and Rama being unsigned a difficult tie with a top Mexican side might become ugly!

I don't have any recent inside info, but my understanding is that Jonsson is most likely gone. His girlfriend is done her university program, so there is nothing keeping him here.  Forge has always been able to pull rabbits out of the hat personnel-wise, but Jonsson has been one of the constants. Don't see an obvious replacement in the organization, will have to bring people in to replace both he, James and Rama or the D is going to decline rather precipitously. Need some scoring too, we weren't a goal-production machine to begin with, but I don't see any replacement for Pacius from within. Campbell will get his 10-12, but we need more than he can provide. Hopefully some young players step up. I thought Belewu was going to get more minutes last season, but looks like this is his chance.

I guess they're hoping Badibenga will be the goal-scorer next season. Maybe, but I wasn't overly impressed with him during many games. Often a dribble too far. 

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised they don’t bubble T H  and rent it out to soccer teams and other sports in the winter , but then remembered we played a WC qualifying game against the US in the middle of winter there and if was bubbled that game could not be played there .