Atletico Ottawa - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Likely to be an upgrade on Salter but how does he fit under the cap?

If I had to guess I'd say that they got the league to not count Morer, Singh and Torres due to them being on loan.

• 4 weeks later...

Does that mean that Ottawa South United forfeits the games that Piccioli played in so far, or did they release him weeks ago and just never announced it publicly?  The team is last in L1QC though, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

AO was the worst place he could have been drafted to - they clearly had no plans to play him at all and just used it for marketing purposes.  He's not a U21 player, but could have been useful to some teams.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2024 at 1:12 AM, Big_M said:

so he'll have a usports contract until the age of 26 1/2...is this the way to go for the league?

If you spend big on a core group of around eight players there isn't going to be a lot of money left under the cap for the roster depth. Think their Achilles heel may be what happens when they have to start U21 players to generate the 2000 minutes needed to be eligible for the playoffs if insufficient funds have been allocated to that aspect of their roster.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The CPL season is tough with all of the travel and limited rosters, Ottawa no doubt has lots of quality but they seem lacking a bit of fluidity atm, I see this every season with Forge and fortunately they are able to pull out of their funk when the games really matter! Don't panic yet Atletico supporters!😀

8 minutes ago, gator said:

The CPL season is tough with all of the travel and limited rosters, Ottawa no doubt has lots of quality but they seem lacking a bit of fluidity atm, I see this every season with Forge and fortunately they are able to pull out of their funk when the games really matter! Don't panic yet Atletico supporters!😀

Yeah, but for some reason, Forge doing great things at the tail end of the season is expected.  Atletico doesn’t have that history (or manager) and for the supposed talent in the squad, they have been severely underperforming for the last 6-8 weeks.