Cavalry FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any further news on what is going on with Myer Bevan? Tobias Warschewski is a different type of striker and I just don't think he suits the Cavalry attack as well. Is there a chance that Bevan returns to the team later in the year? Or is his Cavalry stint officially over?

no news but when at the pro level the communication is so weak that the coach even says that he isnt too sure whats going on it makes it seem unlikely that the player will return...but not impossible

19 hours ago, chalms04 said:

https://canadasoccer.com/about-landing-page/disciplinary-matters/

Shome banned for 3 CanChamp matches due to his straight red vs VFC.

I'm a VFC fan and I thought it could be red, but the CSA disciplinary guys seems over zealous to me. Here, in this case, and in general. It is like, since they have no disciplinary control over the MLS teams, they want to prove they are on top of things. Then the CPL teams have to suffer the consequences with short rosters and a short season, and the fans suffer as well. 

The message cannot be that we can't defend hard and play to the limit, because then you have a soft league with weak defending. Just protect the physical integrity of the players, and respect FIFA rules. Don't try to prove something else.

There is no justification for more than 1 game, standard red card, for that foul. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm a VFC fan and I thought it could be red, but the CSA disciplinary guys seems over zealous to me. Here, in this case, and in general. It is like, since they have no disciplinary control over the MLS teams, they want to prove they are on top of things. Then the CPL teams have to suffer the consequences with short rosters and a short season, and the fans suffer as well. 

The message cannot be that we can't defend hard and play to the limit, because then you have a soft league with weak defending. Just protect the physical integrity of the players, and respect FIFA rules. Don't try to prove something else.

There is no justification for more than 1 game, standard red card, for that foul. 

The suspensions in CPL have always been extremely harsh. They shouldn't be handing out such long suspensions for accidental fouls or regular footballing plays, particularly given the short season we play. They also have never implemented any retroactive punishment for obvious dives, which the league originally said they would be hard on. They're effectively encouraging the opposite style of game than what was advertised

Edited by Aird25

54 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The suspensions in CPL have always been extremely harsh. They shouldn't be handing out such long suspensions for accidental fouls or regular footballing plays, particularly given the short season we play. They also have never implemented any retroactive punishment for obvious dives, which the league originally said they would be hard on. They're effectively encouraging the opposite style of game than what was advertised

100% spot on.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Because the CSA supplies the refs, and trains them, and provides the disciplinary committee, and overall has risen to the occasion, I won't go off entirely on them. But the league maybe should be communicating with the CSA about these exaggerated suspensions. Not sure though if the league really has thought this far and that far through when it comes to how reffing and discipline characterise the league.

Interesting detail from the SAIT alumni newsletter linking this article from April:

https://www.sait.ca/news/2024/04/cohos-field-gets-fifa-quality-update

SAIT Cohos Commons Field has joined a champion’s league — of a sort. In August 2023, our field officially reopened following a full renovation, one that earned it the title of “FIFA Quality.” It is one of only 23 pitches in Canada that are Ronaldo-ready. ---

FieldTurf was responsible for resurfacing Cohos Common Field by applying the shock pad system to minimize wear on athletes’ bodies and laying the artificial turf. Meanwhile, SAIT took this opportunity to provide some much-needed maintenance to the drainage system, which sits on top of the SAIT Parking Garage. SAIT also reviewed the field’s capacity for temporary structures, like bleachers, to allow fans to cheer on the field whilst still prioritizing safety. ---

The new field was completed on schedule and officially opened on Aug. 8, 2023. FIFA-accredited technicians were called in shortly after to see the completed product. On Jan. 1, 2024, SAIT Cohos Common Field proudly received its certificate, which is valid until 2027.

The decision to move the CCC match to Starlight came out in December, while the certification wasn't granted until January.

While only FIFA Quality (not FIFA Quality Pro) this surface would be acceptable per the CCC regulations  (15.4.2: https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/atwi3fxa/2024-concacaf-champions-cup-regulations-eng.pdf), whether the remainder of the facilities are up to par is unknown, especially with the lack of permanent seating and lighting.

However, the views are immaculate:

1711055342592.jpg

stringio.jpg

12 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Thought the Gate was gone?

Would make a nice little League1 Alberta venue. 

Surprised it's not being used to be honest. We know parking and transit access wouldn't be an issue. 

4 hours ago, chalms04 said:

Interesting detail from the SAIT alumni newsletter linking this article from April:

https://www.sait.ca/news/2024/04/cohos-field-gets-fifa-quality-update

The decision to move the CCC match to Starlight came out in December, while the certification wasn't granted until January.

While only FIFA Quality (not FIFA Quality Pro) this surface would be acceptable per the CCC regulations  (15.4.2: https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/atwi3fxa/2024-concacaf-champions-cup-regulations-eng.pdf), whether the remainder of the facilities are up to par is unknown, especially with the lack of permanent seating and lighting.

However, the views are immaculate:

1711055342592.jpg

stringio.jpg

Coached youth games there many times. Pretty cool setting, especially under the lights.

• 2 weeks later...

not a good start to the league season for cavalry...seven points in six games with a single win...6th place...could even fall to 7th if hfx win their next two monday and friday

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 4:09 PM, masster said:

Is there any further news on what is going on with Myer Bevan? Tobias Warschewski is a different type of striker and I just don't think he suits the Cavalry attack as well. Is there a chance that Bevan returns to the team later in the year? Or is his Cavalry stint officially over?

Not a rumour but a suggestion that Bevan might sign with A-League's newest club Auckland FC for the 24-25 season : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/football/auckland-fc/roundtable-who-should-be-unveiled-as-auckland-fcs-first-signings/YMTQACZI4FEKNGDBF5VKDZWTC4/

Screenshot_20240528_163811_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4d3a107fbfdd48126e2a33ce2f3896dc.jpg

1 hour ago, K Edgar said:

Should Cavalry just move to McMahon?

Calgary Mustangs played there in the A-League and it was not a great venue for soccer. That was over 20 years ago so I can't imagine it's any better today. Hard no on that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 3:32 PM, Ed_S said:

Calgary Mustangs played there in the A-League and it was not a great venue for soccer. That was over 20 years ago so I can't imagine it's any better today. Hard no on that.

As above.

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Then it won't be a great venue for them now either??

McMahon with new turf is a solution to CONCACAF games simply because there is nowhere else in this city to play in February. It's not ideal in any way but it's better than playing 1100 km away from home and pissing off your supporters.

Spruce Meadows damn sure won't put in turf anywhere and the stadium doesn't meet CONCACAF's standards. I talked to someone from the club in the offseason and they said that it's not just the quality of the surface in February that isn't good enough, apparently the lighting isn't up to their standards either.