Cavalry FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

This is actually more an indictment of the cost of everything right now especially in BC. The Motor Inn in Hope is probably $250 a night. 

Split between two $125.
I saw $205 for a flight. 

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

All that transportation within Victoria is probably $200

No way this is true, surely you're talking out of your ass. Because that's crazy.

So right now I have it at $330 for flight and hotel. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Split between two $125.
I saw $205 for a flight. 

No way this is true, surely you're talking out of your ass. Because that's crazy.

Someone from Victoria could give you better perspective but what's the transport? I know if you cabbed or ubered from the airport that's probably about right

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Split between two $125.
I saw $205 for a flight. 

Maybe they are flying direct?

Victoria is expensive too.

8 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Someone from Victoria could give you better perspective but what's the transport? I know if you cabbed or ubered from the airport that's probably about right

Transportation here is awful

Edited by Aird25

I used to travel for work and I remember accounting questioning the costs of my rental car when I went to Victoria. 

It was also nearly impossible to find a decent hotel that was under $150 per night 

9 hours ago, Aird25 said:

As a single visitor, I find it challenging.  Driving requires you to account for the ferry, flying or foot passenger requires you to account for getting out of the airport or ferry terminal, Starlight requires you to account for getting from downtown and back if you choose to stay there.  

When I went to the Vancouver Sincy farewell match, flying in and taking the Skytrain downtown was easy-peasy.  Or, driving down and staying near a Skytrain station as I have done in the past.

11 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I go to the Island for work all the time but I drive. I find it so much better than the Lower Mainland other than you feel like you're going around in circles. I'm use to those mountains as a constant reference point

Edited by SpursFlu

On 1/8/2024 at 4:37 PM, chalms04 said:

CCC travel package info up:

Victoria starting at $754, Orlando tba.

https://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/concacaf

😬

Fly on your own to YVR, bus to ferry, rent a car on the other side. Just ensure your ticket.

Used to be it was better to go over the ferry as a foot passenger, and then rental companies would come pick you up. Still works. Worked better in Nanaimo than Victoria, but still. Cost of renting a car is higher now, post-Covid, but I think it has come down enough to justify it.

If you fly to YVR, you actually are on a ferry for Victoria faster if you don't rent a car on the mainland. Because with a vehicle you have to get to the terminal far earlier, you can take the bus shuttle from near the airport and catch a ferry with less lead time.

If you have a vehicle on the other side, your gas costs are minor (less than Vancouver), and you have flexibility to take lodging where you want, you could stay in Esquimalt and split the difference between the downtown and the stadium.

A package arranged by a club at that cost is a scam and they should be ashamed of themselves--or fire the agency that set that up for them, they are deluded.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

The fact that Warschewski didn't play anywhere in 2023 is concerning IMO. There were no injury issues, he just didn't sign anywhere. If he recaptures his 2022 form I think it will be a great signing as he can give good depth up front behind Bevan or in attacking mid behind Camargo. If he doesn't, he's only guaranteed for 2024.

I think the attack and midfield looks pretty set. Lots of flexibility in attack with Warschewski, Akio, Musse and Brooks all able to play in multiple positions.

Think there are 18 players signed officially? An under 21 Canadian, one more fullback and a backup GK and I think this team is in real good shape. And also a Klomp replacement should he be on the way out.

19 hours ago, nolando said:

I'm confused; did he not play at all in 2023?

Surprisingly, no. He had a great strike rate in CPL and had shown reasonably well in German lower leagues before coming to Canada, too. Not sure why he didn't find a club in Germany last season.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^a picture that perfectly captures the demographic diversity of urban Canada in 2024 in an era when around 40% of the population of Calgary identifies as belonging to a visible minority.

Tell me you hate everything about the CPL without telling me. 

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^a picture that perfectly captures the demographic diversity of urban Canada in 2024 in an era when around 40% of the population of Calgary identifies as belonging to a visible minority.

Quebec has the French police I guess Calgary should bring in the Colour of your Face Police.

Ok everyone line up against that wall and let me inspect your faces. Hey chief mark this one over here down as potententially American Samoan. I'm not sure about that put him aside for now, he might have a grandparent who is Filipino or something. I doubt they're going to hit 40% anyways, We'll come back to him and start writing up some tickets

Edited by SpursFlu

There will no doubt be a stream of other completely nonsensical and possibly even personally abusive responses now.

Having been around the fan group culture of TFC when it all launched before moving to Japan for work related reasons I can confidently state you would have seen something significantly more reflective of the GTA's population where groups like RPB, U-Sector and the North End Elite were concerned if a similar picture were taken at that point. Probably still the case but I'm never near the GTA during the season so haven't been to a game for a very long time.

If I were the Cavalry front office I would be wondering why this picture looks like a Junior B hockey reunion out in Doncherryville, Ontario and whether they maybe need to try to be more inclusive in some way. Bear in mind that if you are able to attract the 40% of the population that is massively underrepresented in statistical terms in this picture to a greater extent, crowds and revenues are likely to go up. Soccer has always tended to be by far the most inclusive and welcoming sport for recent immigrants in a Canadian context so I found that picture seriously bizarre.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot