Cavalry FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

I guess the club is going full speed ahead with their proposal to be a World Cup base camp....

The most notable of possible upgrades needed to satisfy FIFA’s criteria is the inclusion of a sub-surface irrigation system under ATCO Field.

“We don’t have sub-surface irrigation, and that’s kind of a requirement,” Allison said. “And we’ve done that by choice. Because of the horse sports, we’ve always had perimeter irrigation so there’s no sprinkler heads out on the pitch. We find that to be for the safety of the athlete, whether they are equine or homosapien.

“But evidently, it’s a thing, because a World Cup coach could say, ‘I want this five metre-by-five metre patch of grass sprinkled with water right now.’ And FIFA doesn’t feel you can do that with the water trucks and other technology we have here now.”

Have to laugh at this quote. Yes, Ian, subsurface irrigation is a thing in soccer. I've got no issues with Spruce Meadows bidding for this if it does nothing more than help Spruce Meadows understand soccer better. They are world class at equestrian but they have a tonne to learn about soccer...still....

Good to see that they have ambition and if this helps upgrade the infrastructure at Spruce Meadows then I'm all for it.

5 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm a little confused as I thought the window was closed

It's not an international transfer, and it is a loan within the same country. Those are the two general exceptions to the transfer window rules, as far as I've read.

England has the same rule, it seems. I don't know about other countries.

Edited by Trois Reds
More information

So in other words, he's getting loaned to CanPL for much the same reason as Luke Singh probably is this season and Jordan Peruzza was last season in a TFC context? If the decision has been made that he isn't the answer moving forward, there's no point having him take playing time away from players they actually rate and they can also get the CanPL club to cover part of his contract that they are still on the hook for.

^^^not even entirely sure what he's trying to say but have to wonder what types of intellectual contortions would be required to fit Mo Farsi, Woobens Pacius and Osaze de Rosario's moves from CanPL to Next Pro into whatever his narrative is on this.

Bottom line is that if Montreal is involved, a CanPL loan is almost certainly legitimately about development because they don't have a Next Pro club. With TFC and the Whitecaps, why spend upwards of $2 million per season to operate a fully pro farm club, if it isn't going to be the preferred pathway between the academy and first team?

37 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^not even entirely sure what he's trying to say but have to wonder what types of intellectual contortions would be required to fit Mo Farsi, Woobens Pacius and Osaze de Rosario's moves from CanPL to Next Pro into whatever his narrative is on this.

Bottom line is that if Montreal is involved, a CanPL loan is almost certainly legitimately about development because they don't have a Next Pro club. With TFC and the Whitecaps, why spend upwards of $2 million per season to operate a fully pro farm club, if it isn't going to be the preferred pathway between the academy and first team?

No matter how good the quality of the players is, you can not replicate the environment and mentality of senior men's football. This is often discussed heavily in the UK, Premier League 2 despite having some of the best young players in the world is not a replacement for getting first team minutes in actual competitive games, with fans in stands against experienced pro's who's livelihoods depend on whether their team performs that year. Elite premier league academy players often say there is no replacement for loan at national league, league 2 and 1 level.

You could maybe argue that the CPL with its u21 requirements and low turnouts isn't a true equivalent of senior men's football in the EFL, but MLS Next Pro is certainly even worse and closer to a Premier League 2 experience.  

I think it is likely to depend on the player on whether they think a PL2-esque or lower-league-esque experience is more beneficial to the player. Do not be surprised when both are used by TFC and VWFC to develop players.

Edited by Sonny Heung-min

On 9/11/2024 at 9:38 PM, nolando said:

Is this a Mael Henry stop gap?

My wish for Henry is a consistent run of good health. Of all the players signed for Vancouver's inaugural season, he was the one I was most excited about. I was glad when he started getting a real shot at Cavalry at the end of last season. Hopefully 2025 will be the season he is able to stay on the field.

6 hours ago, masster said:

My wish for Henry is a consistent run of good health. Of all the players signed for Vancouver's inaugural season, he was the one I was most excited about. I was glad when he started getting a real shot at Cavalry at the end of last season. Hopefully 2025 will be the season he is able to stay on the field.

Agreed. An insider told me he was very close to something concrete in Europe before everything fell apart in Langley. Great player, great skillset.