Cavalry FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

McMahon with new turf is a solution to CONCACAF games simply because there is nowhere else in this city to play in February. It's not ideal in any way but it's better than playing 1100 km away from home and pissing off your supporters.

Does the turf alone solve the problem? I know in some facilities there can be issues having fans in winter because the plumbing has been turned off for the winter and is not insulated, etc.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Does the turf alone solve the problem? I know in some facilities there can be issues having fans in winter because the plumbing has been turned off for the winter and is not insulated, etc.

I believe McMahon is winterized. It's been used for both the Winter Olympics and Heritage Classic in February both of drew crowds far bigger than any CONCACAF game will.

Is McMahon supposed to be getting new turf soon? I see you keep bringing this point up but I don't see anything regarding it being funded/planned for. Given how CSEC operates I imagine there might be some teeth-pulling.

Numerous people at the Calgary Wild launch told us the turf would be replaced before April. Doesn't mean it will happen, but that's the plan.

CSEC doesn't own McMahon stadium and has nothing to do with any work on the stadium, it is owned by the University of Calgary. They are irrelevant in this conversation.

2 minutes ago, shermanator said:

CSEC doesn't own McMahon stadium and has nothing to do with any work on the stadium, it is owned by the University of Calgary. They are irrelevant in this conversation.

Sure, but as the major tenant at the facility they're the main stakeholder UCal would be dealing with for timelines and expectations.

Soccer bars at Calgary airport?

Hope you don't mind if I ask this year: I have a 3-hour layover at Calgary airport Saturday, starting just before the Chile match, and have to ask: any sports bars or places that will have it on at the airport? Inside the building?

Or failing that, nearby? 

And recommendations?

Thanks so much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...