Cavalry FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Playing somewhere like Langford or Langley may well have to be the solution for around half the league. York Lions stadium has a winter bubble, Halifax are not allowed to use their natural grass pitch until May and although the Valour and Atletico Ottawa have turf whether they would actually try to proceed remains to be seen given their climates are significantly colder than Hamilton's. There's a reason why the CanPL season only runs May to October after all. Will be interesting to see what sort of crowd the Cavalry game draws in Langford.

I think by the time Valour gets its act together well enough to play a February continental match, climate change will have done the job and it will be a balmy 10 degrees.

But in reality, I'm pretty sure February at IG Field is a non-starter as it would involve some fairly expensive steps like de-winterizing all the bathroom plumbing, etc. Maybe a local expert can correct me if I'm wrong. Plus the pitch would be even more unplayable than usual.

9 minutes ago, shermanator said:

This clip from OneSoccer (won't embed) sums up why we are so frustrated right now.

Whitecaps having to play their home leg in Langford softens the anger a bit, but Cavalry were caught completely flat footed.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx-JbS6_VzRhIq1lALRYQrcEVZqKjcibjC

Sounds like a number of CPL teams wouldn't be able to host early CCC games. 

We'll have to wait a few years yet, but couldn't this facility come in handy down the road?

https://www.calgary.ca/major-projects/foothills-fieldhouse.html

Seating is apparently up to 10K, but not sure if that's possible with the soccer configuration or not. What the soccer configuration does offer (aside from protection from the elements) is a FIFA-sized field. 

I like the Gutierrez signing, but I don't think this is as big a deal as people are making out. It's really just further depth in an area that was already very strong.

Cavalry already have Shome and Daley at central mid. I'd argue Shome has just as good of a technical profile with a better pedigree after 4 years in MLS and a cup of coffee with the national team, and he was incredible when he came back from injury in that role. The move gives them flexibility to move Kobza back to CB full time and he can slide in if Camargo is injured I guess but I don't see where all of Shome, Daley Gutierrez and Camargo play when all four are healthy. And it likely spells the end of Trafford who was very valuable in his destroyer role last year. 

The last central midfielder Cavalry signed from a poor CPL club where everyone raved about the signing was Joseph di Chiara. And he was terrible. So hopefully this is not more of the same.

I agree that Gutierrez is not a game changer, but this is the type of move that keeps Cavalry ahead of the pack, so from that perspective it's a big deal. It reminds me of the kind of move that Forge would make, bringing in players who were starters elsewhere but will now strengthen the bench, one way or another. I won't be surprised if Gutierrez gets his fair share of starts for Cavalry.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether it is Camargo, Daley, Shome, or Gutierrez playing - or Trafford for that matter, who has a different profile to all the aforementioned midfielders. As long as there is buy-in (which I expect there to be) I see no downside to this situation.

@shermanator Time will tell of course, but right now I am pretty confident Gutierrez will not prove to be the "bust" that Joe DiChiara was.

Here's why I am optimistic..

My own personal view was that DiChiara came to Cavalry at a time where his best football was likely behind him. Sure, when you get a player like that you hope he can keep that level for as long as possible, but when you get to that stage it's usually either flat or down and it was the latter with him. I don't recall being upset by it at the time and it felt like a natural evolution for the player rather than some massive fall from grace.

I am far from a Gutierrez expert but nothing jumps out at me to put him in the same category. I get the feeling he is not at his peak yet and can actually get better. He comes to us a little younger than DiChiara did.

Hopefully we get peak Gutierrez while he is at Cavalry.

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

@shermanator Time will tell of course, but right now I am pretty confident Gutierrez will not prove to be the "bust" that Joe DiChiara was.

Here's why I am optimistic..

My own personal view was that DiChiara came to Cavalry at a time where his best football was likely behind him. Sure, when you get a player like that you hope he can keep that level for as long as possible, but when you get to that stage it's usually either flat or down and it was the latter with him. I don't recall being upset by it at the time and it felt like a natural evolution for the player rather than some massive fall from grace.

I am far from a Gutierrez expert but nothing jumps out at me to put him in the same category. I get the feeling he is not at his peak yet and can actually get better. He comes to us a little younger than DiChiara did.

Hopefully we get peak Gutierrez while he is at Cavalry.

I think he’ll be an impact player. He was very good with mostly terrible teammates around him wasting all the great chances and passes he’d give them.

Surround him him with better players and his impact may even grow further.

This is actually more an indictment of the cost of everything right now especially in BC. The Motor Inn in Hope is probably $250 a night. 

All that transportation within Victoria is probably $200

It's not Concacaf or Cavalry fault it's cold in February and shits expensive 

Everyone hates turf until I guess you've got a Champions Cup game in February