Pacific FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

17 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Looks like 15 goals and 11 assists over the last couple seasons at SFU. No clue what his output has been like for the Rovers. Does anyone have more info?

https://canpl.ca/article/pacific-fc-sign-forward-devin-ohea

"O’Hea was named Great Northwest Athletic Conference Player of the Year in 2023, after scoring nine goals and recording nine assists in 18 matches for SFU.

A talented all-around athlete, O’Hea has excelled at both versions of football. He began his collegiate experience on the gridiron for the Red Leafs, suiting up as a wide receiver in 2018. He made the switch to soccer in 2019. In his four-year tenure on the pitch, he played 3,299 minutes, scored 15 goals and racked up 11 assists.

O’Hea played with the Rovers from 2022 – 2024 in a total of 19 matches, scoring six goals. He was part of the Rovers side that faced Pacific in the 2024 TELUS Canadian Championship Preliminary Round in May. O’Hea earned an assist for Rovers in the Pacific victory."

Edited by K Edgar

On the one hand I like that they are giving local university guys a chance, but on the other it doesn't really address any of your problems, I'd say.

Also, I haven't been overall excited about Vancouver FC's two local university pickups, Powell from TWU, and Dzikowski from UBC. Both were impact players at that level but both barely look like squad players to my eyes. Perhaps with the league increasing in overall skill level year-by-year, only the most exciting (allstars like Bitar)or otherwise promising young university players will be able to make the grade.

Edited by nolando

On 7/20/2024 at 9:13 PM, phil03 said:

I think it is more then likely that the broadcasting rights made the difference between the aforementioned $8.2 million (1) and $13 millions yes, and I would say 75% is probably a rather conservative estimate. I'd say 80% minimum.

As for where the opportunity is, its the same then for most sports teams: its paying to be the (insert common name) of the CMNT.

I also think that how things were in the pre-pandemic world is not a good indicator of how things are now. The national was simply not in the mainstream at the time and it loom way larger in people's sports consumption now then in the past. Just trying to find articles about it before and during as well as after the qualifiers for 2022 and you'll see there was a massive difference. The fact we started to have a genuine shot at qualifying for World Cup was a game changer.

As for my stance, its pretty simple: praise when somebody does something I think is good and criticise when somebody does something I think is bad. I have no problem giving Rob Friend credit for putting some of its own money on the line to help build Pacific and VFC but I also don't think that him doing so (or any other CPL owner doing so) is owed some kind of blind trust that whatever they are doing serves Canadian Soccer and is a good use of its resources. 

(1) With the context of the quote it does seem like they are talking about the national teams.

A lot to unpack here so I have number for my ease of answer:

I. People assume it is driven by interest in the national teams because, objectively speaking, there is far more interest in the national teams. I'd also say that the number of sponsors doesn't equate to money. A lot of sponsors of CPL (although not all) are local businesses that just don't have the same money to spend. 

Furthermore, I do think its mistaken to see sponsorship as purely a business decision. Helping Canadian sports is actually one of the few things you can get the blue chips businesses in Canada to spend money on without much hope of solid returns, as long as the beneficiary makes it into the mainstream of Canadian sports, which the national programs have done and CSB hasn't... Objectively speaking we'd probably have more willing sponsors for the nationa programs

II. TBH I don't see why that is such a strong argument... Other businesses have made some buy ins without being sponsors so they'd be considered somehow engaged by virtue of those adds buy in even if they aren't sponsors... I dunno, just doesn't seem a solid metric to me.

III. The deal as it is inherently unfair to the CWNT, no if or but. It turn significant revenue streams from them to an organism aiming at funding a men's league without any legally binding timeline to establish a women's league. Regardless of the amount involved, this is just indefensible. 

IV. Do you have a link for any of that? Especially for the fact that only a handful of games brought money of any kinds...

Mind you, even *if* that were true the very same arguments many often bring as to why TSN and co aren't interested in showing CPL on tv would be relevant here as well: MediaPro is a competitor to them and it obviously weighted into negotiations somehow and probably cost the CSA some good chunks of cash they would have gotten otherwise...

Overall, the argument that a league whose very existence is ignored by most Canadians is making more money than national teams when some of the latter's games were among the most-watched events in Canadian broadcasting history is utterly unconvincing to me. I would need some extremely compelling evidence to believe it. 

And I am someone who actively defended the basic concept of the CSB deal to casuals or non-CPL watchers a fair few times so imagine how unconvincing it would be for the average Canadian Soccer fan... 

Would I like the league to be way more popular with sponsors and the wider public? Of course, who wouldn't? But we need to be realistic as to where things are actually at in those conversations and work from there if we want to go somewhere. And part of where we are is that as a wider soccer system we are still very much strap for cash, and that the national programs very much could have used the money in the CSB deal and the one indirectly lost because of it. So lets be frugal in our spending until the day we are finally in a better place and lets not spend money developing Mexican players instead of our own.

I have to ask, do you actually believe a word of this?

On 7/21/2024 at 12:13 AM, phil03 said:

I think it is more then likely that the broadcasting rights made the difference between the aforementioned $8.2 million (1) and $13 millions yes, and I would say 75% is probably a rather conservative estimate. I'd say 80% minimum.

As for where the opportunity is, its the same then for most sports teams: its paying to be the (insert common name) of the CMNT.

I also think that how things were in the pre-pandemic world is not a good indicator of how things are now. The national was simply not in the mainstream at the time and it loom way larger in people's sports consumption now then in the past. Just trying to find articles about it before and during as well as after the qualifiers for 2022 and you'll see there was a massive difference. The fact we started to have a genuine shot at qualifying for World Cup was a game changer.

As for my stance, its pretty simple: praise when somebody does something I think is good and criticise when somebody does something I think is bad. I have no problem giving Rob Friend credit for putting some of its own money on the line to help build Pacific and VFC but I also don't think that him doing so (or any other CPL owner doing so) is owed some kind of blind trust that whatever they are doing serves Canadian Soccer and is a good use of its resources. 

(1) With the context of the quote it does seem like they are talking about the national teams.

A lot to unpack here so I have number for my ease of answer:

I. People assume it is driven by interest in the national teams because, objectively speaking, there is far more interest in the national teams. I'd also say that the number of sponsors doesn't equate to money. A lot of sponsors of CPL (although not all) are local businesses that just don't have the same money to spend. 

Furthermore, I do think its mistaken to see sponsorship as purely a business decision. Helping Canadian sports is actually one of the few things you can get the blue chips businesses in Canada to spend money on without much hope of solid returns, as long as the beneficiary makes it into the mainstream of Canadian sports, which the national programs have done and CSB hasn't... Objectively speaking we'd probably have more willing sponsors for the nationa programs

II. TBH I don't see why that is such a strong argument... Other businesses have made some buy ins without being sponsors so they'd be considered somehow engaged by virtue of those adds buy in even if they aren't sponsors... I dunno, just doesn't seem a solid metric to me.

III. The deal as it is inherently unfair to the CWNT, no if or but. It turn significant revenue streams from them to an organism aiming at funding a men's league without any legally binding timeline to establish a women's league. Regardless of the amount involved, this is just indefensible. 

IV. Do you have a link for any of that? Especially for the fact that only a handful of games brought money of any kinds...

Mind you, even *if* that were true the very same arguments many often bring as to why TSN and co aren't interested in showing CPL on tv would be relevant here as well: MediaPro is a competitor to them and it obviously weighted into negotiations somehow and probably cost the CSA some good chunks of cash they would have gotten otherwise...

Overall, the argument that a league whose very existence is ignored by most Canadians is making more money than national teams when some of the latter's games were among the most-watched events in Canadian broadcasting history is utterly unconvincing to me. I would need some extremely compelling evidence to believe it. 

And I am someone who actively defended the basic concept of the CSB deal to casuals or non-CPL watchers a fair few times so imagine how unconvincing it would be for the average Canadian Soccer fan... 

Would I like the league to be way more popular with sponsors and the wider public? Of course, who wouldn't? But we need to be realistic as to where things are actually at in those conversations and work from there if we want to go somewhere. And part of where we are is that as a wider soccer system we are still very much strap for cash, and that the national programs very much could have used the money in the CSB deal and the one indirectly lost because of it. So lets be frugal in our spending until the day we are finally in a better place and lets not spend money developing Mexican players instead of our own.

30 years of basically $0 in Canada Soccer media rights to $5m is a huge stretch. Canada Soccer doesn't deliver enough inventory to get $5m/yr. Even with making the final round of Qatar men's WCQs, it is only 7 matches where rights were held by Canada Soccer. 

Last year, there was only 5 M/W matches where Canada Soccer held rights for. If we pro-rate USSF media deal for min 20 matches/yr (ex currency), the optimistic case is that 5 Canada matches were worth $782k. Given CSB paid Mediapro 100k for the rights to Sinclair's send off match last year, the 5 matches were worth max $500k.

Pre-Apple TV, TSN/TVA paid around $100k per MLS match with a inventory of over 150 matches/yr to broadcast and 2-3 official sponsors secured. So, Cdn Championship Final could deliver rights around $100k. 

What is certain is that Mediapro has spent more than $5m since 2019 in national team match production costs, Concacaf rights and away match rights.

CPL's league level sponsors aren't local businesses. All operate nationally and 80% operate internationally. All of Canada Soccer-only sponsors Toyota, Visa, Nike, GE Appliances, Quesada & Access Storage didn't buy ads during Canada's Copa America matches. Now most companies have shifted their ad budget away from linear tv but ex Carlsberg/Degree, there was no significant brand activation elsewhere such as via watch parties, contests, giveaways, shoulder programming... 

Reaching/exceeding tier 1 sports level broadcast audience is the first step. Next step for ad-supported networks are to see new monies from sponsors and ideally official partnerships. Otherwise, they aren't paying for rights/production or doing shoulder programming. TSN only showed Sinclair's send off match with a 1 hour pre-match show because CIBC/Visa bought enough ad time and CSB paid Mediapro for the rights.

Edited by red card

9 minutes ago, red card said:

I. 30 years of basically $0 in Canada Soccer media rights to $5m is a huge stretch. Canada Soccer doesn't deliver enough inventory to get $5m/yr. Even with making the final round of Qatar men's WCQs, it is only 7 matches where rights were held by Canada Soccer. 

Last year, there was only 5 M/W matches where Canada Soccer held rights for. If we pro-rate USSF media deal for min 20 matches/yr (ex currency), the optimistic case is that 5 Canada matches were worth $782k. Given CSB paid Mediapro 100k for the rights to Sinclair's send off match last year, the 5 matches were worth max $500k.

II. Pre-Apple TV, TSN/TVA paid around $100k per MLS match with a inventory of over 150 matches/yr to broadcast and 2-3 official sponsors secured.

III. What is certain is that Mediapro has spent more than $5m since 2019 in national team match production costs, Concacaf rights and away match rights.

IV. CPL's league level sponsors aren't local businesses. All operate nationally and 80% operate internationally. All of Canada Soccer-only sponsors Toyota, Visa, Nike, GE Appliances, Quesada & Access Storage didn't buy ads during Canada's Copa America matches. Now most companies have shifted their ad budget away from linear tv but ex Carlsberg/Degree, there was no significant brand activation elsewhere such as via watch parties, contests, giveaways, shoulder programming... 

V. Reaching/exceeding tier 1 sports level broadcast audience is the first step. Next step for ad-supported networks are to see new monies from sponsors and ideally official partnerships. Otherwise, they aren't paying for rights/production or doing shoulder programming. TSN only showed Sinclair's send off match with a 1 hour pre-match show because CIBC/Visa bought enough ad time and CSB paid Mediapro for the rights.

I. As I said previously, my take the pre-covid situation doesn't provide any meaningful indication of how much CNMT games are worth after it broke into the mainstream. You are, of course, free to agree or not.

II. No MLS games came remotely close of commanding the viewership of some national programs game.

III. And? Everyone understands the argument that the national team wasn't doing so well when they signed up the deal. What I, and others, think is that betting against its future turned out to be a terrible gamble and with players like Davies and David in the pipeline (as well as more generally with a 20 years deal).

IV. Do you have a link for that? As I said, I aknowledge its not all and broadly speaking I'd argue that even a fair few of the biggest ones aren't the kind of blue-chip sponsors we would ideally like to have. 

V. I don't disagree, I just think the national programs are there while the CPL has still a long way to go to get there. What you said about the Sinclair friendly is often cited by the CSB deal's defenders but a) we just don't know if its true or if TSN successfully played hardball and b) as stated above, the same factor often quoted by those who bemoan that the traditional broadcasters aren't interested in the CPL due to Rogers' business politics (that they don't want to help a competitor in MediaPro) also apply here.

• 2 weeks later...

will be interesting to see how he fits at this level...never stayed at a pro team more than a year...he was a starter in the second tier of romania...tîrcoveanu who was a sub in the first tier of romania isnt doing much...but I think could be useful lets see...definite upgrade over someone like amedume...just like that pacific has brought three latinos this year

image.png.11f8f7d3b83c9652f5a6f42cd2db07dd.png

image.png.12e27d19b867248ef9ee98c857ebf8b8.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bochum have started the Bundesliga with 2 straight losses. Has there been a single thing that's come from this agreement for either club? It would have been nice to see a player from Germany come in on loan, but my hope is that players like Gazdov and Quintana get a chance to train overseas in the off-season 

Edited by Aird25