York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, nolando said:

I haven't watched much York this season but I'm especially interested in the reviews of Abatneh. Intriguing CV having spent so much time under Lazio's watch and then a little time with our U20s, etc, triple national (Philippines and Egypt). And he's still a teen, until next month at least. Would imagine he will generate some interest from other leagues.

I would say he's not spectacular, he's just really solid. No drama. You don't really see him out of position or making mistakes. Calm, mature, professional, in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Rumour on Twitter that they have signed Marsel Bibishkov. Would be an impressive signing judging by his resume. Wonder how they tempted him? Maybe a winter training stint with Monterrey?

Interesting.

Must not have any European options? Was with Juventus youth team last year. 

Edited by narduch

1 minute ago, narduch said:

Interesting.

Must not have any European options? Was with Juventus youth team last year. 

I doubt that’s the case. He had pretty decent numbers with their u17 team, already played pro minutes in Bulgaria and is/was a youth international for Bulgaria. He’s highly rated so no doubt there would be a ton of options. 

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I doubt that’s the case. He had pretty decent numbers with their u17 team, already played pro minutes in Bulgaria and is/was a youth international for Bulgaria. He’s highly rated so no doubt there would be a ton of options. 

Must have Canadian citizenship then? Or is eligible for it. He did live in Canada for a number of years and went to TFC Academy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsel_Bibishkov

I don't think York have any International spots left.

Just now, narduch said:

Must have Canadian citizenship then? Or is eligible for it. He did live in Canada for a number of years and went to TFC Academy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsel_Bibishkov

I don't think York have any International spots left.

Yes, my understanding is he does. His dad is a former pro and a coach here in Ontario. Spent some time with TFC Academy as well. 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yes, my understanding is he does. His dad is a former pro and a coach here in Ontario. Spent some time with TFC Academy as well. 

Thanks.

Maybe he is homesick for Canada lol.

Despite York having a new ownership group with a team that for once looks good on the pitch, they still have to practically give away tickets to a massive game against their rival. Shows how far of an uphill climb they are facing. 

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Despite York having a new ownership group with a team that for once looks good on the pitch, they still have to practically give away tickets to a massive game against their rival. Shows how far of an uphill climb they are facing. 

Yes, they still need to essentially get the word out. It really is going to be tough in Toronto.

Anecdotally, last year I went to I think 3 games, maybe 4, and I couldn't find anyone to go with me any one of those times. I think I probably didn't bother asking the last game or 2. This year I have only been to 1 game I think (maybe 2) basically due to circumstance (the team I play for is on the same night of the week as most home games). The 1 time I got to go out I managed to bring 2 friends along, and another one that I asked was already going with his family of 4, and it was the best atmosphere for a game I had been to since year 1 against the Impact.

Hopefully they can build on this season and sell more tickets, or need fewer of these flash sales going forward. But as you say, it is going to be tough to do.

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

Anecdotally, last year I went to I think 3 games, maybe 4, and I couldn't find anyone to go with me any one of those times.

I managed to pull two people with me last week. We had a good time but it was a real shame about the first half rain. The Latin market seemed pretty good and we got free bottles of Jarritos exiting the match.

The crowd was definitely the biggest and most active i've experienced for a match there. Won't be able to make it on Friday but i'm sure there'll be another good crowd.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Toronto's a big town with a lot of stuff going on at all times. They're the only team in CPL that has to go head-to-head against an MLB team, as just one of many entertainment options on weekends.

I like these York guys. They're hustling, they're making it work and most importantly, they're putting a decent team on the field.

I like how they brought in an international legend to shake hands and take photos. Simple way to get people thru the gate who you can bet love the game and might come back

13 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Toronto's a big town with a lot of stuff going on at all times. They're the only team in CPL that has to go head-to-head against an MLB team, as just one of many entertainment options on weekends.

We need to cut the shit with the excuses as to why people aren't going. The other entertainment options will always be there, in fact there will be even more direct competition next year with AFC Toronto. All CPL clubs compete against other entertainment options. At some point, people need to actually act like they want this club and buy a ticket. 

There have been a few crowds this year at York games that are promising, but there are still a lot of sub 1000 crowds as well, even with new owners and a decent team on the pitch. That just isn't sustainable.

25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

All CPL clubs compete against other entertainment options.

I appreciate this sentiment but I think it bears stressing that Toronto is a unique city within the context of Canada - York battling for entertainment dollars is not equivalent to HFX or Pacific battling for entertainment dollars. Toronto is a market where CHL teams do not survive, MLR did not survive, they just chased away an NLL team, and the CFL would no longer exist there if not for the apparent charity of MLSE. CPL, and any upstart league, has an uphill battle of entering and staying in that market. 

York is up against a Jays team that draws 40k/night three nights a week when they're in town - no other sports team in this country pulls those numbers as competition, both for locals and for those who travel in from elsewhere. And this is a year where the Jays are bad.

I'm sure the crowd on Friday at York Lions will be good and that will be with 40K+ at SkyDome simultaneously. No other market does this. 

25 minutes ago, shermanator said:

in fact there will be even more direct competition next year with AFC Toronto

Fascinated to see how AFC fare at York Lions as a comparable. It's not a great venue outside of the main stand itself. 

Edited by Mihairokov

I'm not buying the idea that the Blue Jays are a major problem. A bit like the Argos and TFC, two different demographics are being primarily appealed to where soccer and baseball are concerned.

The main problem York United have is that most soccer people in a GTA context are a lot more interested in TFC and/or soccer happening overseas and don't see any need for CanPL to get their soccer fix given there's a widespread perception (wrongly IMO) that it's not a big step up from L1O or OSL type games that they can watch for free.

I wouldn't get too excited about the crowd level for Friday's game. There's no shortage of blue dots on Ticketmaster especially at the northern end of the main stand and it looks like the two end sections haven't even been opened up for sale so far, which drops the active capacity by 400 or so.