York United - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 3 weeks later...

"For one, after seasons spent training at multiple pitches across the region, including the Ontario Soccer Centre, the Nine Stripes now get to step onto the same York Lions Stadium pitch where they play their matches on a daily basis." 

Oof. That's a bad look to train at various different spots.

On 7/26/2024 at 7:48 PM, Mihairokov said:

...Oof. That's a bad look to train at various different spots.

Nothing massively unusual if a natural grass playing surface was involved rather than turf. Sounds like they were avoiding paying extra facility rental costs to York University more than anything else and the three brothers are now willing to pick up the tab for that.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

If they do I hope they do some serious upgrades to Lamport. It's miles worse than York Lions Stadium, obviously a better location for people in Toronto, but the stadium itself feels like a rundown amateur stadium.

If done properly it would be an amazing spot for any team. Liberty Village pre-games would be epic.

12 hours ago, narduch said:

The new NSL team plan on making Lamport their permanent home. They will however start their 2025 season at York Lions.

Which is just a shortform way of saying to expect them to play at York Lions in the short-term (1-3 years) - i'm not convinced Lamport today is in any way ready to host professional matches and needs significant upgrading to be suitable.

Should York relocate there? Sure, almost anywhere would be better than a suburban university campus. Brockton, Monarch, Birchmount, and even Lamport would be a big improvement over their current location if we're looking at things like community engagement, branding, marketing, accessibility etc. The issue is that York Lions has all the facilities they need (rooms for teams, concessions, infrastructure for professional matches) which the others currently lack. The others would require funding at a level we haven't seen yet in this league to bring those stadiums up to par.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

Which is just a shortform way of saying to expect them to play at York Lions in the short-term (1-3 years) - i'm not convinced Lamport today is in any way ready to host professional matches and needs significant upgrading to be suitable.

Should York relocate there? Sure, almost anywhere would be better than a suburban university campus. Brockton, Monarch, Birchmount, and even Lamport would be a big improvement over their current location if we're looking at things like community engagement, branding, marketing, accessibility etc. The issue is that York Lions has all the facilities they need (rooms for teams, concessions, infrastructure for professional matches) which the others currently lack. The others would require funding at a level we haven't seen yet in this league to bring those stadiums up to par.

You're suggesting Starlight and Spruce Meadows had those things prior to CPL? Many CPL stadiums still lack some essentials, but there has been significant investment in stadiums within the league

8 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

You're suggesting Starlight and Spruce Meadows had those things prior to CPL? Many CPL stadiums still lack some essentials, but there has been significant investment in stadiums within the league

Starlight did build a new stand and upgrade its existing stand, yes. It's the only comparable to what Lamport would need done. My understanding is that much of Spruce Meadows was already there for equestrian but i'm happy to be wrong on that.

Wright and Babouli get most of the headlines, but lots of other players have been fantastic this season. Abatneh, Sturing, Vincensini, Cordova, and now Guzman as well. Top of the table is where they are and it doesn't feel like a fluke. And I thought ownership was kind of crazy for thinking there was a championship roster here when they fired Nash (although I wasn't upset about Nash being let go. He was underwhelming.)

12 hours ago, Kent said:

Wright and Babouli get most of the headlines, but lots of other players have been fantastic this season. Abatneh, Sturing, Vincensini, Cordova, and now Guzman as well. Top of the table is where they are and it doesn't feel like a fluke. And I thought ownership was kind of crazy for thinking there was a championship roster here when they fired Nash (although I wasn't upset about Nash being let go. He was underwhelming.)

Two of the dumbest coaching decisions this club has ever made so far was , Nash and Brennan and it showed on the pitch .They might have got it finally right with this present coach , so far so good .

12 hours ago, Kent said:

I haven't watched much York this season but I'm especially interested in the reviews of Abatneh. Intriguing CV having spent so much time under Lazio's watch and then a little time with our U20s, etc, triple national (Philippines and Egypt). And he's still a teen, until next month at least. Would imagine he will generate some interest from other leagues.