Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

36 minutes ago, jdheid said:

I know they put a bunch of money into Langley, but would Swangard meet CPL criteria?

They didn't put a bunch of money in to Langley. That was a lot of the point of their endeavor: to get someone else to build them a stadium. Only Langley would, and then the municipal governments changed to one less willing to do so. Nothing is stopping the club from paying for some of the upgrades themselves.

1 minute ago, masster said:

Looking back, VFC only managed 1 win in their 10 games after trading away Dyer. You still think they won that swap??

How did Pacific do? Honestly it was probably a push. I don't really rate Dyer but Sellouf mostly just featured off the bench I think. Both teams it was kinda like just shuffled the chairs on the deck sorta things no?

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

They didn't put a bunch of money in to Langley. That was a lot of the point of their endeavor: to get someone else to build them a stadium. Only Langley would, and then the municipal governments changed to one less willing to do so. Nothing is stopping the club from paying for some of the upgrades themselves.

I think with seeing some of the other events at Willoughby and the potential there is, the better move by the Township is to just build a permanent grandstand along the one side with roof, concessions, changing rooms, lighting, suits etc. I think it would be silly to put more money in to the temporary structure 

Another side note from an upcoming townhall is across from the stadium the town is planning to build a major transit hub

https://www.langleyadvancetimes.com/local-news/open-houses-focused-on-future-of-langley-township-7591559

Edited by SpursFlu

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

How did Pacific do? Honestly it was probably a push. I don't really rate Dyer but Sellouf mostly just featured off the bench I think. Both teams it was kinda like just shuffled the chairs on the deck sorta things no?

Pacific's record was 4-2-5 after the swap, with Dyer contributing 4 goals and 3 assists in 10 appearances. Sure, Sellouf has the ability to be a special player, but there is no doubt in my mind who benefitted from the trade.

Dyer was VFC's MVP at the start of the season. It didn't make any sense why they thought they could move on from him.

7 minutes ago, masster said:

Pacific's record was 4-2-5 after the swap, with Dyer contributing 4 goals and 3 assists in 10 appearances. Sure, Sellouf has the ability to be a special player, but there is no doubt in my mind who benefitted from the trade.

Dyer was VFC's MVP at the start of the season. It didn't make any sense why they thought they could move on from him.

Ok fine. Pacific won the trade. I didn't consider him their MVP but sure. I think in the end it will prove to be inconsequential and considering the reality of the situation you don't know why the swap was made. Did they move on from him, did he move on from him. Was there an eye on the off season and people coming and going. I don't know, we'll see

On a side note, went to the Vancouver FC away watch party the team put on for the last game of the season vs Ottawa at the Par 4 bar in Surrey, my thoughts :

Driving to the event in the heavy rainstorm last Saturday, by roads that were closed because of flooding, was thinking not many may attend but was happily surprised to see about a full house in the section the team had. Lots of TV's with the game on, lots of wings and pizza, and a couple of free drinks for each person. Prize's during half time and players on the roster that didn't make the trip were there as well. Was a good time despite not winning and had never heard of that bar but would recommend it, food, drink, and atmosphere was good. If your a golfer they have a simulator there with a huge floor to ceiling screen which was pretty cool and hence the bars name.