Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...

Coached in a youth tournament over the weekend. Our last match was vs North Vancouver FC who, interestingly, had Vancouver FC sponsorship on the back of their shirts.

It would seem to me that Langley United would be a more sensible linkup, given that they are housed on the same grounds at Willoughby, and since I imagine very few VFC fans make the drive in from the north shore. 

1 hour ago, nolando said:

Coached in a youth tournament over the weekend. Our last match was vs North Vancouver FC who, interestingly, had Vancouver FC sponsorship on the back of their shirts.

It would seem to me that Langley United would be a more sensible linkup, given that they are housed on the same grounds at Willoughby, and since I imagine very few VFC fans make the drive in from the north shore. 

The owners live on the North Shore. 

Interesting that tonight is Diaz's last match before his loan expires. He really has been quite disappointing for me overall. Although at first he definitely contributed to a more dynamic and positive Langley attack, the individual stats just don't warrant investing much more money or starts in the guy. So what is next, I wonder?

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-pacific-fc-vs-vancouver-fc-2024-match-45

9 hours ago, nolando said:

Interesting that tonight is Diaz's last match before his loan expires. He really has been quite disappointing for me overall. Although at first he definitely contributed to a more dynamic and positive Langley attack, the individual stats just don't warrant investing much more money or starts in the guy. So what is next, I wonder?

https://canpl.ca/article/preview-pacific-fc-vs-vancouver-fc-2024-match-45

AFTN's podcast had a discussion on it. It's why they went with a 4-1-4-1 formation and Diaz on the bench; to see how they might do without him.

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sponsored content means they paid for it. So yeah, I'm sure it is a glowing review of their system.

Yes, I'm sure we are all aware. It's just interesting where they decided to post it, on a community news site one could imagine might otherwise be happy doing stories on one of the few pro sports shows on town for free already.

And then promoting the young guys who really haven't seen many minutes this year, another interesting choice.

The "we play local young guys" tact works well with me, though, and keeps me interested; I just don't see enough evidence that it moves the needle much locally or in broader soccer circles here in the Lower Mainland, as much as it pains me to say.

13 minutes ago, nolando said:

Yes, I'm sure we are all aware. It's just interesting where they decided to post it, on a community news site one could imagine might otherwise be happy doing stories on one of the few pro sports shows on town for free already.

And then promoting the young guys who really haven't seen many minutes this year, another interesting choice.

The "we play local young guys" tact works well with me, though, and keeps me interested; I just don't see enough evidence that it moves the needle much locally or in broader soccer circles here in the Lower Mainland, as much as it pains me to say.

I guess the rates are cheap enough. But yeah, the fact the local paper has to be paid to cover the local team is...sad.

And yes, the evidence is there with the Whitecaps as well. Canadian players don't move the needle on attendance.

On 7/10/2024 at 10:49 PM, Watchmen said:

I guess the rates are cheap enough. But yeah, the fact the local paper has to be paid to cover the local team is...sad.

And yes, the evidence is there with the Whitecaps as well. Canadian players don't move the needle on attendance.

Its a good move for VFC to get the word out about the club, but they have to follow thru more by having it in the surrounding communities local rags as well (Surrey, Ridge Meadows, Abby, Mission). So many that don't know about the club.

Its like when they were giving away tickets to caps ticketholders for the Messi game debacle, they mentioned it in places only the diehard VFC fans would hear about it for the most part and made no effort to get the word out to a wider audience so they could take advantage of the offer in bigger numbers. Can't give free tickets out if basically no one knows about it.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

VFC sign a Belgian player.

Strange choice to sign a 29 year-old foreigner with an already very crowded and heavily domestic squad, and midfield in particular. Zach Verhoven and/or Kibato the next two separated from the squad until they agreed to terminate their contracts?Neither had more than a sniff and both were oddly heralded by the club upon signing.

TJ must be done with this coach as well.

For me it's the age of the player.  It's always nice to take a flyer on youngster, however at 29 his ability should be pretty clear with little to no 'potential ability' left.  

I don't like the constant turnover of players.  I know it is somewhat inevitable given we are a new team in a low league, but it would be really nice to see players get coached into being better rather than just being replaced.  

If having another veteran player gets us back on the winning track and adds to the entertainment value then I'm all for it. I didn't get seasons tickets to watch mainly u23 footy. Hope Rommen's turns out to be a positive addition, seems he can be but time will tell.

54 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

If having another veteran player gets us back on the winning track and adds to the entertainment value then I'm all for it. I didn't get seasons tickets to watch mainly u23 footy. Hope Rommen's turns out to be a positive addition, seems he can be but time will tell.

I get your point about not overvaluing youth but also would argue very few of the coach's preferred 11 are all that young....Irving, Chung, Romeo, Enyou, Gee, Renan, Fry, Diaz and three of Cantave, Fisk, Bitar, Dyer. Is one player U23, even, as much as the club is pushing itself as youth and local champions?

On 7/19/2024 at 1:30 PM, nolando said:

Strange choice to sign a 29 year-old foreigner with an already very crowded and heavily domestic squad, and midfield in particular. Zach Verhoven and/or Kibato the next two separated from the squad until they agreed to terminate their contracts?Neither had more than a sniff and both were oddly heralded by the club upon signing.

Not sure I agree. CM was the position of most need. They have been relying on Garcia and Fry way too much. Kibato hasn't been great. Ghotbi has tried Enyou and Norman in midfield and that has not worked. (although Norman's position growing up was CM, he has been disappointing on matter where he has played).

Plus, Garcia won't be able to play forever. They need to find a successor.

17 minutes ago, masster said:

Not sure I agree. CM was the position of most need. They have been relying on Garcia and Fry way too much. Kibato hasn't been great. Ghotbi has tried Enyou and Norman in midfield and that has not worked. (although Norman's position growing up was CM, he has been disappointing on matter where he has played).

Plus, Garcia won't be able to play forever. They need to find a successor.

You are probably right, Mass. Maybe they figure they can squeeze 4 or 5 years (or at least a couple good ones) out of the new guy Rommens. Small sample size but you can certainly see he does all the little things well, as you might expect from a former PSV-youth player. I just wonder why they stockpiled so many average-to-below average CPL guys if they knew they had no chance of using half of them.

On 7/19/2024 at 7:55 PM, narduch said:

VFC sign a Belgian player.

Not sure about this signing, seems he's dropped off quite a bit, the Malta league is not a good standard of football. Hopefuly it works out for VFC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...