Vancouver FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

16 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

It doesn't bode well for Langley, IMO. I've got a feeling this is the first step towards VFC moving on from Langley. Happy to be wrong on this, but teams very rarely move schedule dates out of their own home stadia without good reason. 

Think it's Pacific fans that have more reason to be nervous given the lease on Starlight stadium only runs through this season.

18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think the June date is mostly a case of ensuring they get in before the wild fires hit this year. Because there'd be nothing worse than moving a home date the way they have only to have to cancel that game.

Wildfire smoke might be hitting every year for a long while to come, so if they are concerned about that for this one event, then what is the plan for this potential new franchise's summer home match schedule?

It is worth noting that a number of major Okanagan events usually scheduled for August have now been moved to July.  Even weddings have been pushed away from August.

Tagging onto @Footscray's points about regional youth soccer, scheduling this match for very early July might have been a better fit but the schedule with this particular opponent in mind was already set.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Wildfire smoke might be hitting every year for a long while to come, so if they are concerned about that for this one event, then what is the plan for this potential new franchise's summer home match schedule?

I think the one thing about this tour/event is that because CPL teams play each other so often it makes sense to have a few of the weaker attendance teams test out potential new markets. VFC fans will still see Cavalry play, just not twice. Wouldn't be shocked to see a York game moved as well.

Posted (edited)

Interesting YouTube channel dedicated to featuring (marketing?) Elliot Simmons: 

Zach Verhoven's arrival and inclusion yesterday must be the final nail in Elliot's Vancouver FC time, I'm guessing.

Edited by nolando

6 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Have heard (after some fan backlash) that VFC is now offering refunds to the Jun 16 game.  Have also heard they're offering a free bus up to Kelowna for any season ticket holders interested.

Not surprising.

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 9:37 PM, nolando said:

Someone working the VFC match Sunday told me there couldn't  have been more than 1000 people actually there, fwiw.

I am pretty loathe to make excuses for attendances, especially with my home province franchise closest to me, and I have outlined the usual attendance challenges for this time of the year and for the subsequent summer months, but competing against Canucks' pre-Game 3 gatherings and Mother's Day doesn't help.

Edited by BearcatSA

19 hours ago, nolando said:

Someone working the VFC match Sunday told me there couldn't  have been more than 1000 people actually there, fwiw.

With the inaccurate eyeballing estimates, there did seem to be more no shows for that game compared to the first 2 of the season.

I was never a huge fan of Simmons, so not sad to see him go. However the team is really thin at CM. It is Fry and Garcia  almost every match. And I haven't been impressed with Kibato.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, masster said:

I was never a huge fan of Simmons, so not sad to see him go. However the team is really thin at CM. It is Fry and Garcia  almost every match. And I haven't been impressed with Kibato.

I feel the same, fwiw, I just hate how little information is out there. Apparently zero media asking anything.

Simmons was kind of a Teibert type for me. Didn't really advance the ball as much as I would like or play hard-nosed enough to be a true defensive mid.

Edited by nolando

4 hours ago, nolando said:

I feel the same, fwiw, I just hate how little information is out there. Apparently zero media asking anything.

Simmons was kind of a Teibert type for me. Didn't really advance the ball as much as I would like or play hard-nosed enough to be a true defensive mid.

It still bothers me how much hate Teibert gets. He had a role to play, which is evidenced by his 300+ matches for the Whitecaps under 7 or so coaches.

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

It still bothers me how much hate Teibert gets. He had a role to play, which is evidenced by his 300+ matches for the Whitecaps under 7 or so coaches.

And that role was "mouth piece for the FO", for which he was rewarded handsomely.

Honestly, there was a role for him. It was just never as a regular starter, a position he was thrust in to because the club was very poorly managed.

On 5/16/2024 at 4:58 PM, Watchmen said:

And that role was "mouth piece for the FO", for which he was rewarded handsomely.

Honestly, there was a role for him. It was just never as a regular starter, a position he was thrust in to because the club was very poorly managed.

Sure, a position he was thrust into season after season for over a decade by numerous managers 

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2024 at 9:27 PM, Watchmen said:

So what's happening with Tahid?  Injured?  Didn't make the trip to Winnipeg, but it's not a "youth" situation because they took McDonnell.

There was that match when he started against York when they took him and Cameron out at HT and where they lost 3-0. Both disappeared from the lineup for a bit and that remains his only start this year. Cameron has resurfaced but TJ hasn't really come back into the discussion at all. Adding Fisk didn't help his cause as he is probably third-choice LW/LM (Grady may have leapfrogged him too) and even further down as a CAM.

Coach is known for old school power tactics and I have heard stories that he has returned to last year's technique of having certain players train away from the first team if they come to him about minutes played, starts, etc. My hunch is that is the case here.

Funny that virtually all the Vancouver guys who got hyped by the club and the league in the off season because of training stints abroad, guys like TJ, White, Simmons have all essentially stopped featuring for the club. Simmons has been released altogether.

Edited by nolando

Full audio (46+ minutes) of the post game press conferences of the Sun Jun 9/24 CPL game between York United FC and Vancouver FC played at York Lions Stadium.  Head coach Afshin Ghotbi and forward Alejandro Diaz from Van FC and midfielder Elijah Adekugbe and new head coach Benjamin Mora from York. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports24/24york088.htm