Valour FC - 2024 Season Thread

Big_M

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

And given that he is one of the very few "local" players and a guy who has actual stuck around and made connections with the fanbase, that has to be a success.     

I'm glad I'm not in charge of Valour for several reasons, but one of those would be having to decide what to do with Ohin after this year (unless he's on a longer contract?).

The only decent local player to play more than 1.5 seasons, but is he good enough to keep his roster spot on a veteran's salary? I thought Mlah, on the whole, outperformed him, and Campbell is a far better player when he is not deputizing on the back line.

Edited by jonovision

TransferMarkt has update its CanPL player values.

For Valour Mourdoukoutas and Antonoglou remain the highest value players both unchanged at €200k

The late recruits got their initial values: Mlah €100k and Kwemi  €50k

Biggest gain was Facchineri doubling to €150k

€25k increases to Campbell €175k, Alarcón €150k, Ressurreição €150k, Faria €125k and Ohin €100k

€25k decreases to Verhoeven €150k and Sanchez €100k; €50k decreases to the injured Polisi €50k

Surprisingly no decrease for bench warmers Chantzopoulos €125k and Haynes €100k and no increase for Viscosi €75k

On 10/15/2024 at 7:34 PM, K Edgar said:

Valour FC's sad tale of the (very few) players resigned from 2023...

Williams - injured, has not played in 2024 (signed for 2025)
Polisi - injured, recovered?, has not played in 2024
Haynes - 0 starts, 70 mins - used little in 2023, even less in 2024
Murasiranwa - 2 starts, 234 mins - used sparingly in 2023 and 2024
Samake - 3 starts, 270 mins - released early in the season
Sanchez - 7 starts, 677 mins - less minutes than last year
Ohin - 6 starts, 1140 mins - used mainly as a sub
Campbell - 23 starts, 1998 mins - only regular starter in this list

I think, despite being named as captain, Ohin was limited to sub appearances due to PDS wanting to avoid another long term injury to him. The lack of gametime from Sanchez was surprising, especially given that he would have counted towards u21 minutes (I believe).

Looking at the starts/minutes of certain players, I think Haynes and Murasiranwa could be done. Whether or not management would want to give Polisi another season to try and prove himself is another question. Ohin could stay for another season given the connection to the club and fans, being the only player left from the first season and being the current captain.

On 10/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, K Edgar said:

I am asking the same question.  I am not certain.  I am interpreting the stated rules and speculating that "2. Head-to-Head" does not include goal differential -- but also hoping that it does!

On 10/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, Trois Reds said:

That's a pretty good question.  I was assuming it did, but I don't know.

some clarification on the CanPL article (https://canpl.ca/article/the-outcome-presented-by-tonybet-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-cpls-regular-season-grand-finale).  This gives Valour some hope!

"Should clubs finish even on points after Saturday’s match, here are the tiebreakers that will come into play:

1. Total number of wins
  2. Head-to-head (record, and then head-to-head goal difference if still tied)
  3. Goal differential
  4. Goals for
  5. Away goals differential
  6. Away goals for
  7. Home goals differential
  8. Home goals for
  9. Fewest disciplinary points
  10. Most under-21 domestic player minutes
  11. Coin toss (tie between two (2) clubs) or drawing of lots (tie between three (3) or more clubs)"